sifting through rumours around weight training

hello all,

I'm a definite cardio junkie but would like to incorporate more strength training into my gym sessions. However, I'm starting to get confused with all the conflicting information out there.

Some say that lifting light weights for lots of reps (dull!) often helps toning without adding bulk. At one gym I went to, I was told not to go above 5kg on the waist twister or it would give me a thicker waist! No girl wants that!

Then another school of thought states that you should lift as heavy you can for smaller numbers of reps and you can still tone up without adding bulk.

So what to do?? Does it make a difference where you are on the weight loss journey? I'm pretty fit (half marathon runner) but I still have a lot of weight to lose.

Thanks in advance for any input! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    thanks, downloaded a sample onto the kindle and will probably add this to the library:smile:
  • moniquedeanne
    moniquedeanne Posts: 249 Member
    First of all no matter how heavy you lift, putting on muscle that would actually make you look bulky is incredible hard and takes tons of work. I prefer to lift heavy with lower reps (4x8). If you're just starting you might want to try lifting lighter with more reps (3x12-15) until you understand perfect form just to be safe.
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    A well rounded weight lifting routine won't be one or the other. It should have both heavy lifts and lighter lifts at higher reps for adding volume. I'm sure many programs will be suggested so I won't bother, but you may look at simplyshredded.com or bodybuilding.com to get some ideas.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    You can't "add bulk" while eating at a calorie deficit. And assuming you are a woman, "adding bulk" is really difficult even if you were eating way above your TDEE. The idea that "toning" is any different than anything else is a myth. Muscle is muscle.

Pick a solid program (stronglifts, starting strength, new rules of lifting for women, bodybuilding.com routines) and do it. If you are eating at a deficit you will lose fat and the muscle underneath will get more visible. You will look even better if you have been weight lifting. There is no way anything will get "bigger" from weight lifting eating at a calorie deficit.
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    I'm pretty new to lifting, more specifically lifting heavy weights. I personally like CheLEAN Extreme, but I know NROLFW and stronglifts are also good programs. You will not bulk up when lifting heavy (meaning less reps more weight) while eating at a deficit. Good luck!