Mood drops after intense cardio?

Options
I have noticed a few times that soon after an energetic cardio workout in the morning, my mood will sometimes drop and and feel really blah. Not really depressed, but just apathetic and depleted, and not pumped up for the day ahead like some people feel. I don't do fasted cardio, and stay properly hydrated throughout exercise. Does anyone else experience this? Any ideas as to why this happens?

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Exercise increases serotonin and dopamine, the body's natural "feel good" chemicals. Adrenaline as well. Workout's over, chemicals subside = possible mood drop. Eating foods after with a bit of a perk factor (I hear bananas are great for this) can help.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    a few hours after I finish my deadlift day I feel awesomely relaxed, super mello and chill. It's the best.
  • joeysox
    joeysox Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    i get this, i just feel drained! make sure you allow for a post workout small meal or snack and have a decent breakfast following morning xxx
  • jstandfield
    jstandfield Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you used up a significant amount of your body's sugar. Try consuming quality carbs before your workout and some fruit afterwards.
  • LizardQueen4PointOh
    LizardQueen4PointOh Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I was a bit of a "B-word" when my husband tried talking to me right after my workout as I was making my protein shake. I felt bad afterward and apologized. Then, I reminded him: "Don't talk to me when I first wake up. Don't talk to me while I'm working out. Don't talk to me right after I've worked out. Don't talk to me when I'm tired." He asked when he was supposed to talk to me. I told him I was still trying to figure that out myself. :laugh:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Yeah - I think this might be about your diet. Maybe you aren't eating enough before the work out?

I find after I workout (cardio or weights) that I feel great! And I eat something shortly after my workout (whether a snack or meal) and my mood seems to still stay pretty good.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I was a bit of a "B-word" when my husband tried talking to me right after my workout as I was making my protein shake. I felt bad afterward and apologized. Then, I reminded him: "Don't talk to me when I first wake up. Don't talk to me while I'm working out. Don't talk to me right after I've worked out. Don't talk to me when I'm tired." He asked when he was supposed to talk to me. I told him I was still trying to figure that out myself. :laugh:

:laugh: This is funny.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I used to do a spin class at like 6.45 am and by 2 pm I'm ready to crash. I don't understand it either. Exercise is supposed to energize you for the rest of the day, but not me.

Since then I've moved my workouts to after I get home, unless needed.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Same here. You need to eat and drink quickly before you shower. Have a lucozade or something.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options

Haha this applies to me as well, especially "Don't talk to me when I first wake up"
  • Natihilator
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions folks. Not sure if my pre-workout meal is the problem - today's breakfast was a fried egg, bacon bits, spinach, bell peppers and a piece of toast, so I did get some carbs in, but I also waited at least an hour before eating my post-workout meal. I'll have to try having a banana or perhaps some chocolate milk or a protein shake ASAP afterwards.
  • erin4609
    erin4609 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    When I take a shower and got ready for the day straight after my workout that always makes me feel good. If I just hang around in my sweaty clothes afterwards, i feel a little wierd
  • moniquedeanne
    moniquedeanne Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. You need to look to your nutrition. That's helped me considerably. Of course if your workout is extremely taxing you're going to be tired afterward no matter what. Meet all your macros, drink considerable amount of water, keep your diet totally clean, and get plenty of sleep. Your body will eventually adjust to whatever you're doing and it will be easier and you won't be so tired.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I often feel this was after a zumba class. I fixed it by strength training instead
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I used to do a spin class at like 6.45 am and by 2 pm I'm ready to crash. I don't understand it either. Exercise is supposed to energize you for the rest of the day, but not me.

Since then I've moved my workouts to after I get home, unless needed.

This is false and leads many people to feel that they are doing something wrong or that their body is somehow different from everyone else. Feeling like that is frustrating and leads to people giving up and saying "it just wasn't for me"

How you feel after exercise depends on what you did and how many calories you're eating. I eat more than most people here but most often i feel like taking a nap after working out. Energized? I think not. Sometimes, but it's rare.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I have this problem too, except I get really depressed/angry with everything. And it usually happens about halfway through my workout and then persists for hours afterwards. It doesn't matter what I eat or what time of day it is. I haven't really figured out a way to combat it, besides shorter, more intense workouts. If I do something really hard, for example sprints for 15 minutes, then I can stop before I'm depressed and still feel like I did something. Maybe try splitting up your long workout into two shorter workouts? I'm curious to see some other tips as well.
  • Natihilator
    Options
    I often feel this was after a zumba class. I fixed it by strength training instead

kMhYf.gif
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    How you feel after exercise depends on what you did and how many calories you're eating. I eat more than most people here but most often i feel like taking a nap after working out. Energized? I think not. Sometimes, but it's rare.

True that. Its particularly related to your workload at a given intensity. Lets say you run. If you ran 10-20% slower than your typical 'go to' intensity.you might feel significantly better ; like you could go all day while you are doing it, and like you could choose to do it all again when you are done with it.

Higher intensities have benefits too, but should be the icing on your athletic cake, and you should aim to have more fun days of energized post-workout life than not I would think.

YMMV
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You are running too hard on an insufficient aerobic bas, probably burning nearly 100% sugar, and causing a blood sugar crash.
  • AphelionPDX
    Options
    I had that problem this morning, so I ate 1/2 cup cottage cheese, drank 3 glasses of water, and a cup of coffee. Not sure why, but it worked. Maybe my body was just telling me what I really needed.