Always have to much protein

Options
According to the food tracker I am supposed to have 50 grams of protein a day. Somehow i am always a little over that protein limit but still tend to feel hungry so I dont feel like im actually getting to much. I do have one protein shake a day. How do you stay full without going over your protein limit?

Replies

• kchang77
    kchang77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I always go over, I am usually at a 1:1 protein for body weight if not more. I am working out quite a bit, but don't worry about going over on protein too much.
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Unless you are a fit 75 pounder, or have severe kidney disease, you are significantly lacking in protein. you should be shooting for .8-1 grams per pound of lean body mass of protein consumed each day.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Unless you are a fit 75 pounder, or have severe kidney disease, you are significantly lacking in protein. you should be shooting for .8-1 grams per pound of lean body mass of protein consumed each day.

This^^ You need to go and adjust your settings. Plus going over in protein (although not the case here) is actually a good thing
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    MFP's default macros are pretty carb heavy. More protein...especially on a deficit as it will help maintain lean body mass while you burn fat. Nothing wrong with going over on protein unless you have kidney disease or other kidney issues. Most medical experts recommend no more than 30% of your diet as going over that amount can be hard on the kidneys in general...I promise you, you're not even close.
  • jlfoster0427
    Options
    How so you adjust the protein setting and what should it be for a 138 lb 23 year old?
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    You need to figure out your body fat% (not BMI, that's different), and then the rest is lean body mass, So if you were 20% body fat, that leaves 110 pounds of lean body mass. Then you would need 88-110g protein. Go into your macro settings, select custom, and screw with the percentage until it tells you a protein total in that range that makes you comfortable. Then set the fat and carbs to where you are comfortable, I keep my fat close to 50%, but that's just me. I don't like to eat much for carbs, but adjust it based on how you want to eat.