Options
2»

Replies

• melly28
    melly28 Posts: 26
    Options
    Allen Carr, Easy Way.

You can't crave what you don't want.

I used the same way and it helped hugely! Good luck and keep up with it!
  • amills1152
    amills1152 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I myself and quitting for the new year as well - been smoking for the past 3 years or so. I've tried quitting a time or two over that time span, and actually did it for nearly a whole month last year, but here are things I've learned need to be avoided if you cave the minute temptation hits:

1.) Hangin' with friends that are smokers - I'm not saying avoid them forever, but during the worst of the quitting process it's a must.

2.) Drinking - I don't know about you, but the minute I have a sip of beer or booze, I INSTANTLY want a smoke.

3.) Coffee - Same as above - sucks.

I haven't gone a day without having at least one cigarette, usually after lunch because the only thing I can't avoid that makes me crave a cigarette, of course, is eating. I've recently resorted to a couple of little tricks to help me kick the habit, such as buying a pack of cigarettes I DETEST instead of my usuals. Makes me not wanna smoke quite so badly, especially the moment I take a drag and my first reaction is "ew." I've also started only smoking a half cigarette at a time - this might sound silly but when I get halfway through a smoke, say after lunch (or during coffee because while I say to avoid it, I don't follow my own advice on that one, boo-hiss!) I will take a pair of scissors and cut the cherry off and put the remainder back in the pack - that way I get the old gratification of having a smoke but don't smoke the whole thing and have a little halfsie for later if I can't control a craving. So far, this seems to be working, I've dramatically reduced my smoking since the new year this way, and I hope to be completely tobacco free by next month. Kudos and best of luck to everyone trying to quit <3
  • swanarae
    Options
    I smoked for 30 over years and I quit cold turkey 4 months ago. I LOVED smoking, & would smoke right now if not for a few things.
    1. I CAN BREATHE!!!
    2) My husband actually wants to be around me now that I no longer stink and I taste good (he quit 3 years ago)
    3. Physically I can do things I never would have believed possible for me in the shape I am in right now.....like jog for 30 min non-stop! or finish an 8.5 mile moderately difficult hike in just a few short hours.

My situation is probably a bit different than most peoples. I actually did not want to quit smoking, but I made the decision to do so for my husband because my smoking was tearing our marriage apart. He quit 3 years ago and had turned into one of THOSE ex-smokers who absolutely despise anyone who smokes. (even tho he smoked for 20 years) but man am I reaping the benefits!!!
    Now that I no longer smoke
    My husband kisses me way more often because he now likes how I taste
    My husband actually prefers to sit beside me now that I do not smell bad.
    Our house and cars smell better
    I can get out and walk with him now that I can breathe
    I have actually lost weight instead of gained weight while quitting
    I have a better sense of smell.

The first couple of weeks were actually easier for me than I ever would have believed. Week 3 was when I had my worst cravings.
    When I got an overwhelming craving for a cigarette I would close my eyes and so some deep breathing for a minute or two. That actually helped more than anything because I was inhaling strongly like I would when I would smoke, but without inhaling all of the bad stuff.

I went to the grocery store and bought a package of straws and bought a bottle of cinnamon sticks.
    I cut the straws in half and would chew on them sometimes, and sometimes I would use a cinnamon stick for my cigarette.
    The cinnamon stick has the added benefit of making your breath smell good :)
    I also tried chewing on pens, but ended up getting a mouth full of ink when one of them burst on me because I did not take out the piece that had the ink in it.
    I also bought some sugar free jolly ranchers suck on and some gum to chew.

I still have cravings when doing certain things that I normally smoke while doing them, when I get stressed out, or when I get mad at my kids or if I get bored. I just deal with them each craving as they come along. When the craving hits I grab a straw or a cinnamon stick. (I actually still keep some at my office, in my car and at home)

I had tried several times before to quit and none of the ways worked.
    I tried the patch (it gave me hives and heart palpitations) tried the gum, tried zyban (twice) none of them worked for me. I obviously was just not quite ready to quit yet.

When you are really ready you will be able to quit. Something will get to you and you will be able to make the transition to non-smoker. I just hope it is NOT like me and it is 30 years later when you have missed out on so much because you smoked.

I wish you the best of luck on your endeavor and will be glad to be supportive of you while you attempt this wonderful thing. You will not regret the benefits you receive from quitting.
  • grillingirl
    grillingirl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking just over 6 years ago after smoking for 33 years. It was the best thing I ever did for myself. Never felt better! But it took my husband passing away (from a heart problem) before I was able to do it. I used the patch and it really helped with the cravings. Good luck to you!!!