HELP!!! Buying a new elliptical.....

Wolfena
Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
So, my 8 year old elliptical passed away this week. Perhaps it's revive-able, but I just decided I want a newer, better-er one. I THOUGHT I wanted one with the wheel in front, I know I want one with an ipod/MP3 dock- I had NO IDEA how difficult it was going to be to pick one out! ...and even though I've been using my current elliptical all these years - that I bought without a thought or any research way back when- I apparently know NOTHING about ellipticals at all! :laugh:

I know I wanted to try it out before I bought one, so I went to both D1ck's Sporting Goods and Sears tonight to use a few and look at them. There were 3 I felt comfortable on - two had the wheels in the back, one in front... two were 999$ one was 899$- so, I come home to do some online research and I'm reading about eddy and electronic and digital and ECB resistance (what the heck does THAT mean??) What is dual action as compared to front or rear action?? Most of them have heart rate monitors on the handle bars and some have a chest strap to wear too- do I need that if I have a regular HRM anyway???

I also learned that now they can be plugged in, which is awesome because putting batteries in my old one was always a pain in the butt, and even more of a pain when they'd run out unexpectedly as my resistance was controlled by those batteries!

Anyway, any advice or information would be appreciated... Brands to avoid, brands to look for.

The three I narrowed it down to today (I think) were a Sole, a Nord1cktrack and a ProForm (which was what my old one was... but this one is much nicer)

(edited because it my words were bleeped out due to the "content", which is kinda amusing - yet nice to know the site has those sort of preventative measures in place!) :tongue:

Replies

• dchief30
    dchief30 Posts: 129 Member
    My wife and I was looking at Elliptical and we bought the best Gold's Gyme one that Walmart has and we blow it out in three monthes so I can tell not to buy one from Golds gyme. the one at Sears is a Nordic trak and as long as it has a 18 inch wheel in the back it was the one we were going to buy but now we just strarted thinking about buying a Garmin forerunner 60 with heart rate monitor and gps foot pod but we are lost to so that is what I have for advice
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    I have a Schwinn 430 and I love it. Very quite, smooth, easy to assemble. Check out this website that rates ellipticals for all price ranges: http://www.allellipticals.com/.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    NordicTrack E5 vi bought mine at sears... It's wonderful i use it every day and it comes with Ifit and 8 programmed workouts, it's smooth on the joints, easy to use and just wonderful.. I bought one from walmart a few months ago and it make my knee's hurt and after a few months the pedal broke. The Nordic Track is a little expensive but so worth it. I must say i do love my ellipitcal and how often do you hear someone say that about a exercise machine it also comes with a ipod holder and you plug in your ipod into the machine and it plays , it comes with I fit built in and also 8 pre-programed workouts which wow they kick my butt in to shape since using it i have seen iches and weight lost.... I recommend it big time!!!!!!
  • tboddy
    tboddy Posts: 1
    i purchased an elliptical from Pro Form in 2007. It's a space saver model and I love it. You will have to put it together, but it was much cheaper than the Nordic Track model.
  • 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    I just recently purchased the NordicTrac ASR700 with Games&Train Panel. Not super big ...just right for a home. It's better quality that Proform. Sears is having a close out on this series to make way for a newer better one. The go from $699.00 to $999.00. But....since they wanted them out the salesman slashed the price down to $250.00 I couldn't believe it. I had my eye on that one for a while. It was a great Valentine gift cuz now I might actually get a better workout than a recumbent bike. So call them before there all gone!:glasses:
  • Wolfena
    I think I'm leaning toward the Nordictrack Pathfinder... (924$ with free shipping from the Nordictrack site, after a 75$ off online coupon)

I like that you can fold it up to save space, and it felt good under my feet.... and of all the reading and reviews I've seen online tonight it's the only one I can't find anything BAD written about - where usually you'll find both good and bad reviews about stuff.

edit to add: WAIT WAIT.... I found it for 899$ now :laugh: :wink: :love: (also with free shipping)
  • 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    I bet in this economy you could find it even cheaper. That's how I got my so cheap...I asked if there were any further discounts....I love mine. So Smooth like Butter under your feet. I think I might actually loose that 10 pounds again that I just lost & regained. hehe:tongue: It's a buyer's market...Lovin It.:heart:
  • Wolfena
    I ended up buying the Sole E35 elliptical. Now we just have to get it put together!! :noway:

The link to see it is in my blog :smile:
This discussion has been closed.