Anyone who yo-yo'd for years and has now kept it off?

Options
ashleab37
ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
Hi there :) I've been a yo-yo'er for years and thought I always lose weight the healthy way (no crash diets) I always fall off the wagon.

Is there anybody here who yo-yo'd for years and has now kept it off? Can you tell us your story?

Replies

• bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Yo-yoed for years. Had braces fitted last year that prevented me from eating too much or too quickly because my teeth would hurt and I could not be bothered to brush them so often.

I went down from a size 18 to a 12 and have kept it off for the first time in 20 years.

I chucked out all the big sized clothes and have kept only the size 12s. When they start to feel a bit tight, I cut back on the calories.

The other thing that has helped me is the exercise, I need to do it more often but the fact that I now know how little I did before keeps me on the straight and narrow.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I wish braces worked for me, haha! Anyone else? :)
  • babyshekamoo
    babyshekamoo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi there :) I've been a yo-yo'er for years and thought I always lose weight the healthy way (no crash diets) I always fall off the wagon.

Is there anybody here who yo-yo'd for years and has now kept it off? Can you tell us your story?

Ugh I am in the same boat you are. My goal is to lose about 36 pounds total I always get about 10-12 off then fall off the wagon and gain it all back and end up at zero. I keep telling my self this will be the time I do it and keep it but hasn't happened yet. Hopefully this time.
  • loriamcq
    Options
    Unfortunately, I cant say this for myself because I am also a big ole yo-yo... but three of my co-workers who used MFP for over a year each lost around 30 lbs and each of them have kept it off for over a year and a half now. They dont regularly use MFP now that they are maintaining, but when my boss gains more than 5 lbs she's right back on here and gets that 5 off again. I believe the key for them (and the issue for me) is maintaining a way to burn the calories. My boss lifts weights and swims a minimum of 2 times a week. The other two girls are in their 20's and work out, run, and play soft ball/volleyball in the summer. I dont do much exercise and I know that's my downfall. So now that I've just admitted that to the world, I better do something about it. I do love yoga... guess I need to get back to that, and FAST! :)

Best of luck to you!
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I've yo-yo'd for YEARS but this is the first time I have consistently maintained/loss. I accredit this to MFP. There are some days/weeks that I fluctuate, but this tool is awesome! I would have to say that my MFP buddies keep me motivated and that's REAL. It's going on almost a year that I've kept off 50 plus pounds and that is MAJOR to/for me. I'm looking to get back on track because I have more to lose but I'm HAPPY with what I've accomplished so far.
  • hawapatel123
    hawapatel123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yeah..I used to crash diet constantly, I did end up losing 5 stones, but not healthy as I ended up looking extremely ill (days I would binge, other times would starve for days on end) however, I am past all that and have managed to keep the weight off for about a year. I watch what I eat, exercise regularly and treat myself every now and then so I'm not restricting myself from so called 'bad food' :smile:
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I know this is a few months old, but I have the same question. I used to be a successful yo yo dieter. From about age 25 to 45 I let my weight creep up and when it hit 10-15 lbs above where I wanted to be I would go on something like the cabbage soup diet or skip lunch most days for a few weeks and bring it back down. In my late 40s I started letting the number I would stay at drift higher and higher until it was too far from where I needed it to be to get there using crash diets, which is the only thing I knew how to do. I was overwhelmed. Now that I am closing in on a healthy weight again I am thinking about what happens next. I really did not like being bigger for the last few years. Is that enough to motivate me to be better about capping any gain sooner? I really want to adjust my diet in a way so that I don't go back into that pattern again, but that pattern has worked for most of my adult life. I just let it go too far and spiral out of control.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!