Can't eat breakfast?

Options
Hi, I'm new here and planning on losing weight. I thought the first thing I should tackle was my breakfast.
I always feel full in the mornings although I know I'm not and I can never bring myself to eating breakfast.
Anyone else have or had the same problem?
And can someone tell me the benefits of eating breakfast for weight loss?
Thanxx,
RandomLetterGirl =)

Replies

• natesangel
    natesangel Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i have always had the same problem, i loathe breakfast and often would make myself sick trying to eat it because 'i should'
    my solution is to do my workout in the morning, and use 2% milk with my protein powder after the workout, that way i still get a good 300 cal break but it's high protein from the workout and it's a yummy chocolate shake!
    good luck!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Breakfast literally means "breaking the fast", so it doesn't matter what time you eat your first meal of the day. It's still breakfast.
  • Coffeeholic8
    Coffeeholic8 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    If you can't eat it then don't eat it. Eat when you're hungry rather than forcing it down when you don't want it.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat breakfast, eat whenever you're hungry!
  • LadyInnominate
    Options
    I have the same problem sometimes. I just can't bring myself to eat anything in the morning. As far as the benefits, I'm not sure other than giving yourself a boost to get your day started. (I actually didn't eat breakfast today.)
    Sorry I couldn't be more help.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I eat a late night meal instead of breakfast both because of my work schedule and because all I can stomach in the morning is coffee!

I like it that way and it makes it easier to stay in my goals
  • Frostygirl2790
    Frostygirl2790 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am up early in the mornings and I too know how important breakfast is. And i am ususally not hungry either. I have a treadmill and was wondering do I eat something before I work out or after?
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You just "have to"--- Breakfast means just that.... to "break your fast" and ready your body to do it's job and burn calories. I never ate breakfast until recently...it makes a huge difference. Even if you could just manage a slimfast shake or a small yogurt you'll be much further ahead. Some people complain..if I eat breakfast I'm hungry all morning----duh---that's your body engaging and reminding you to refuel. I always look forward to breakfast now and have found a few different options to speed me through my busy mornings....plan ahead if you have to but don't skip it. Good luck.:smile:
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I am up early in the mornings and I too know how important breakfast is. And i am ususally not hungry either. I have a treadmill and was wondering do I eat something before I work out or after?

After is better if you can manage it. Most people have a really hard time running after a meal. I prefer to run during IF but others find they run out of energy this way. I normally eat late at night so it's only been like 8 hours since I've eaten for an AM run.

You could try a banana if you need a little something then eat more after but I find it's better just not to eat at all! After a work out will be the better time to eat, especially your carbs
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    You can try a protein shake. That is what I got my husband doing, since he hates eating breakfast.
  • ChadB74
    ChadB74 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    It's a huge debate on whether breakfast plays a part in your overall health and ability to lose weight. Can you not eat breakfast in the morning because you eat late at night? IDK... Eat when you're hungry, have a yogurt or fruit.... good luck
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I used to be that way, now I can't wait to eat breakfast :) I would run in the mornings and needed to eat, even just a little bit. I started off with bagels (since they were more like lunch) and than would run. Now I can eat pancakes, french toast, oatmeal, cereal etc. without feeling sick. Now I wake up hungry.
  • Starfish1125
    Starfish1125 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I can't eat when I get up (5:30 a.m.) - I would be nauseous. I eat around 10:30 a.m. - but prior to that time, I have 16 oz of water and a cup of tea. So there's something in my stomach.

My breakfast is usually a high fiber cereal and coconut milk. If I'm still hungry after that, I'll eat a hard boiled egg.

I totally understand not being able to eat first thing in the morning.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you don't prefer to eat breakfast I would not eat breakfast.
  • vicarella13
    Options
    You should eat something small before you work out if it is the morning (I usually have a banana) and you should consume something after your workout within the first 20 minutes (I like a protein shake). I like shakes in the morning. Sometimes I put all the ingredients in the night before and just blend it in the morning and drink on the way to work and at work.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    You just "have to"--- Breakfast means just that.... to "break your fast" and ready your body to do it's job and burn calories. I never ate breakfast until recently...it makes a huge difference. Even if you could just manage a slimfast shake or a small yogurt you'll be much further ahead. Some people complain..if I eat breakfast I'm hungry all morning----duh---that's your body engaging and reminding you to refuel. I always look forward to breakfast now and have found a few different options to speed me through my busy mornings....plan ahead if you have to but don't skip it. Good luck.:smile:

no
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

no

NO.
  • RikkiDominey
    RikkiDominey Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    So my answer is a little different than the others on here, I say don't eat it.

I used to eat breakfast everyday and I am not saying I had any issues with it or that it was the reason I couldn't lose weight. However, in MY case once I found, researched & tried Intermittent Fasting (IF) I have since then stopped eating breakfast. I eat within an 8 hr window, which means I don't eat my first form of food until 12pm each day and my last bite is done by 8 pm. (I can drink as much water of course all morning, even some other liquids as long as it is under 50 calories) I absolutely love IF and wish I would have tried it out a lot sooner.
    Many ppl have this idea that breakfast kick starts your metabolism and is the key to losing weight and success throughout the day, I and many others don't believe this. I have much more energy now and can focus much more in the mornings. I have lost weight and toned my body more using IF. I give my body a full 16 hrs to fully digest all of my food intake instead of storing it and continually adding more. I am never hungry before or after my eating window, your body will adapt to whatever schedule you set it to. (You can set whatever kind of eating window for yourself)

I am in NO way, shape or form saying breakfast is bad or that IF is the almighty answer to life. I am simply saying I love it and it works for me, quite possibly it could work for you. The least bit you can do is just look into the facts of IF and see if it would even be something you would want to try.

Either way I wish you best of luck!

http://www.leangains.com/

(Funny & entertaining page about IF)http://www.youtube.com/user/fastingtwins
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here and planning on losing weight. I thought the first thing I should tackle was my breakfast.
    I always feel full in the mornings although I know I'm not and I can never bring myself to eating breakfast.
    Anyone else have or had the same problem?
    And can someone tell me the benefits of eating breakfast for weight loss?
    Thanxx,
    RandomLetterGirl =)

You do not need to eat breakfast. It isn't necessary.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I usually put off eating breakfast as long as I can each day because it seems the sooner I start eating, the longer my eating day is, and the faster I run out of calories.

There's nothing magical about breakfast that means you have to eat it. As long as you are meeting your calorie goal for the day, you can spread it out however you like.