newbie: struggling to eat enough protein/help with goals

Options
Hello!
I am new to this site and struggling to meet the guidelines my trainer suggested.
I am 5'3, 154 lbs, I am hoping to get down to 125. The weight that my body seems to like (plateau at is 135), but I would feel better at 125.

I gained 20 lbs in the last three months. What was happening (according to my trainer) is that I was exercising too much and not eating enough. I had cut out all processed food and was eating mainly vegetables. Trying to be healthy. The thought of meat was kind of grossing me out, so I was eating mainly vegetables and starchy carbs. When I did a food diary (recently) I realized I was barely consuming 1,000 calories a day. Yikes! Couple that with about 3,000 burned in exercise was a bad combo: starvation mode all the way. That was not my intention, I had no idea I was eating so little until I totaled it up. Really goes to show that eating less really does not work (at least for me).

So. my trainer suggested a 1,300 calories a day with a ratio of 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fat. High protein due to amount of exercise. (4x week hot yoga, walk 45 min 5 days a week a 3.3 mph and 2-3 days of weight training)

I have been questioning the 1,300 - but he confirmed it. All the tools online put me about about 1,500. I am so scared to go into starvation mode again!

Anyway, I just planned my meal for tomorrow and am really, really struggling to get protein in. Even though I have lost my taste for meat, I have added in lots of chicken and beef. I feel like to meet the goal all of my snacks need to be meat related!

Are protein bars ok?
I am really struggling to get my calories up to 1,500 without eating processed foods.
I just want to do this right!

Replies

• DanTillson
    DanTillson Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hey, sounds like a really good effort, well done for overcoming hurdles this far!

Protein shakes are good to squeeze in extra portions and I always use to balance up my macros if I need to add some extra protein in. Generally I find a shake in the morning mixed with my oats, a small pack of cooked turkey/chicken with lunch or as an afternoon snack, 200-300g chicken breast in the evening meal and a shake after my gym work will always make sure I get in enough in a day and I tend to get around 2300 cals (including exercise cals) a day. Will add a couple eggs in somewhere if I ever need to bump up.

Hope this helps, feel free to add (though today is a cheat day so look at any day before for ideas! lol)
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Some protein bars end up being high in carbs. I use an egg white protein powder with almond milk.
  • DanTillson
    Options
    I also personally found protein bars very untasty and expensive, personally would rather munch down some cold chicken/turkey and get just as much protein in the end, but each to their own. Personal preference I guess.
  • erg2013
    erg2013 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!
    I know.. as soon as I add a protein bar in I am over in carbs.
    I forgot about egg whites, great idea.
    I made a plan for tomorrow (included foods I am going to eat and exercise).
    Would someone mind taking a look? I made it public!

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to reply. I just want to do this right. :)
  • khackey
    khackey Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten 'meat' for over 20 years, I have no judgement for what others eat so not on a soapbox and I get that others disagree but some quick protein hits that work for me are tofu, soy products, fish and when I'm lazy hemp protein in some almond milk is tasty and quick.

I also recently changed perspective on the over doing it stuff too, I have to step it up a bit to get to my fitness goals but ultimately it's a lifestyle change so I'm not really interested in plans or diets or programs that are not sustainable. I'm trying to focus on good lifestyle changes and a slow steady pace and it's definitely working, I 'feel' great, many bad habits just naturally become unattractive and after almost a year that is now organically driving me further onward and it's so so much easier. It was/is frustrating not to get the instant results I wanted but seems my patience is now paying off.
  • TheresaDa
    Options
    Hello : Turkey bacon and egg whites are great for protein.
  • Run_Forever
    Run_Forever Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    1300 calories per day @ 50% of that being protein would represent 162.5 grams of protein. That is alot of protein ! I1 gram of protein is about 4 calories. I don't mean to question your trainer but that much protein might be a little excessive. It would be very difficult to consume that much protein, a good protein bar is only 20 to 30 grams of protein and with everything else mixed in its about 225 to 300 calories for a protein bar in that range. You would be better off going with lean chicken, turkey, egg white or tuna. Sometimes more calories are better and for how active you are I think it would be a great choice :)
  • DanTillson
    Options
    thanks everyone!
    I know.. as soon as I add a protein bar in I am over in carbs.
    I forgot about egg whites, great idea.
    I made a plan for tomorrow (included foods I am going to eat and exercise).
    Would someone mind taking a look? I made it public!

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to reply. I just want to do this right. :)

Looks good and tasty too. Although I agree with the above getting in 162g is tough work, I sometimes struggle eating that at nearly an extra 1000 cals and I love meat lol
  • murdledoe
    murdledoe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Fish has allot of protien in it. I even have tuna fish for breakfast once a while. Since you like broccoli that may be a good option. It isn't loaded with calories, but it does have allot of protien. If you like cottage cheese, tbsp of peanut butter, 2 oz. piece of cheese, egg all very good sources of protien.You can also have a few nuts for protien. Good luck reaching your goals.
  • erg2013
    Options
    WOW! I am just so pleasantly surprised at all of the support that is available here. Thank you to everyone.
    Lots to think about! :smile:
  • DanTillson
    Options
    Fish has allot of protien in it. I even have tuna fish for breakfast once a while. Since you like broccoli that may be a good option. It isn't loaded with calories, but it does have allot of protien. If you like cottage cheese, tbsp of peanut butter, 2 oz. piece of cheese, egg all very good sources of protien.You can also have a few nuts for protien. Good luck reaching your goals.

Brocolli you would have to eat nearly a kilo to get 30g protein, I love the stuff and very tasty but not good for hitting 50% proteins to be honest.
  • brcampanella
    Options
    For some reason I always end up eating more protein than anything, and i do not eat a lot of meat to be honest! Beans are a really good source of protein if you dont like meat too much, and i love turkey bacon, I can eat it all day! Greek yogurt is really good too, some brands have 15 grams of proteins and only like 130 calories! Good luck!
  • allibazzer
    allibazzer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Stay away from Protein bars, it's just a processed food! Most contain either sugar or fake sugar which can be worse for you. Having the fake sweet not only can mess with your gut, but it can trigger sweet tooth.

I rarely eat meat. It's mostly veg, some whole grain, and eggs, and I still get 40-50 grams of protein a day on my 1,300 calories. Friend me if you want to see my food diary! We can share ideas!
  • Shopkins1978
    Shopkins1978 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am a long-time vegetarian but struggle sometimes to get my protein, too. Some good ideas: nuts, nut butters (in small amounts), beans (veggie chili), tofu (I do low-fat tofu stir fry with lots of veggies and brown rice), soy milk, reduced-fat cheese, and whole grains if you can eat them. I also usually eat 1 protein bar per day (Luna or Kind bars are my favorite).
  • xRedHeaterx
    xRedHeaterx Posts: 37 Member
    Options

Lots of good advice here! Grilled chicken breast and broccoli is a tasty meal to try. I couldn't believe it when I saw how much protein was in white fish.

Increasing protein intake was a good suggestion from your trainer. However, the amount of protein being suggested for a woman seems way to high. It's not like you are going to be trying to get ripped. It might be worth querying it with your trainer.
  • erg2013
    Options
    It's strange. Since I became heavily involved with my yoga practice this past year, I am really struggling to eat meat. It feels heavy in my system. And I don't feel good physically after eating it... I feel sluggish. All I crave is raw vegetables and fruit.

I have added chicken and beef in but still want to look for alternate sources. You guys have provided some great ideas.
  • erg2013
    Options
    I tried so hard on my meal plan for tomorrow to hit 50% and there was just no way I could do it.
    I don't think I will ever hit that high - LOL!
    Maybe I need to change my ratios of protein/carbs/fat to be more realistic.
  • Jennifer217B
    Options
    Lot's of great advice from everyone. Be careful with the high amount of protein that your trainer recommends. Too much protein can put undue stress on your kidneys. Also, protein bars and protein shakes can be good sources of protein but watch out for the amount of sugars in these products. A good rule of thumb is 12g or less of sugar for each. I use protein bars and whole food protein shakes from a company called Standard Process.
  • erg2013
    Options
    We took measurements and used the calipers (sp??) and I am at 33% fat. yikes!
    So, if 1g per non-fat pounds that would be 103 grams per day.
    Never head that - thanks for sharing.

Yes, I guess I am over thinking this. I just adjusted my protein goals down in my settings.
    I am just going to try to reach at least 1,300 a day and eat as balanced and non-processed as possible
  • Pink520
    Options
    hey there, i saw your post. if you're not much into meat, try eating nuts and mushrooms.. both are good sources of protein without much bad cholesterol in them. :)