Thinking about raising my daily calorie limit

I've been doing this for about 5 months. I've lost 5 lbs. Now, I do look a little different; I have more of an hourglass again, and I bought a smaller pair of jeans. However, at this rate, losing the rest of my excess body fat will take forever! I am hoping for 1 lb. per week, not 1 lb. per month!

I lift weights 3x a week, followed by cardio, and typically do cardio one extra day, and take a horseback riding lesson weekly.

MFP gives me a net calorie goal of 1210 per day. According to numerous calculators, my BMR is more like 1500. Even going by TDEE - 20% would mean 1700 calories!

I am thinking of adjusting my calorie limit to 1500 net, eating extra protein and fruits/veggies, and see if that helps.

Has anyone else found they weren't losing on a low calorie limit (1200), and lost on a bit more (1500)?

Replies

• __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    do it, you will be a happier person
  • curvycarrie
    curvycarrie Posts: 56 Member
    hi azwen, i actually had a similar experience, i was working out cardio and weights, and i dont think my calorie intake was enough. And i ended up gaining 3 lbs in 3 months..i was so discouraged that i totally fell off the wagon! so then i was doing some research and getting feedback from people..and im learning that you need to eat to burn....so i would suggest raising your calories, and see what happens! good luck!!
  • Raise it! Eat more to lose more! Fat2FitRadio.com - check it out. and track your inches. if you are lifting then you are gaining muscle so you will not see a loss on the scale like you would expect....
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Work harder on the weights, lift heavier slower and more intense compound moves, you should not be fit to do cardio after leg day particularly you should have muscles like jelly. When you do cardio do high intensity interval training to get the best afterburn, one study suggested up to twice as much fat as steady state. You need enough overall calories and nutrients to maintain/ build muscle mass, to repair and refuel after exercise, for general health - a five times a week workout routine at the right intensity can double your needs for all nutrients.