Those with kids, how to keep from eating their leftovers?

Options
My kids can be picky eaters(3 and 1). Food with them can be hit or miss. There are many times when they don't finish their plates and I feel awful throwing it out or it's just not something that will keep well in the fridge. Normally, I would ask my husband to eat it so it doesn't get wasted, but he isn't around at all the meals. Any thoughts on what to do? I just hate to waste it, so want to eat it, but don't want to waste my calories on their food.

Replies

• c_faulkenburg
    c_faulkenburg Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I hope this doesn't sound super rude, because that is not my intent, but don't feed your kids junk. My husband and I at least did right by our children and only allow them to have cereal, cereal bars, cheese, yogurt, etc. We saved the super crappy junk food until after bedtime.. My three year old will clean his bowl every single time I give him a salad. Also, portion sizes are key with little ones, try to start small and increase if they eat all of it. At least then you aren't wasting much.
  • ohtobe140
    Options
    you can either eat it and it can go into the toilet (eventually) and your hips or you can just put it in the trash. It is just as wasteful to eat something you don't need than it is to throw it away. It's not like you can really give it to a starving child, believe I wish we could. Toss it and let it go, it really is okay (and learn to make less - that's what I had to do, it's taken four years to learn how to make less for less waste)
  • itsasecret22
    Options
    Try smaller portions.. Then it's less to throw out if they don't finish it. I just had an all beef hot dog because my son decided he wasn't eating. I'll give the rest to the dog. :)
  • bogden78
    bogden78 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Try smaller portions.. Then it's less to throw out if they don't finish it. I just had an all beef hot dog because my son decided he wasn't eating. I'll give the rest to the dog. :)
    lol! i wish i had a dog to eat what is on the floor. i swear half their meals end up on the floor, at least my 1yo.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I just don't. What they do not eat just goes in the trash. I am not a fan of wasting but I hate extra pounds on me more ;-). I always start with mall portions. This way it is little waste. It is less wasteful to give them seconds.
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i do smaller portions with my kids and then I throw out whats left on there plates - its hard to see food thrown away but it helps to not snack off there plates. Its easier for me in the winter as we really push to not eat or drink after eachother because of the 'sickies' going around.
  • bogden78
    Options
    you can either eat it and it can go into the toilet (eventually) and your hips or you can just put it in the trash. It is just as wasteful to eat something you don't need than it is to throw it away. It's not like you can really give it to a starving child, believe I wish we could. Toss it and let it go, it really is okay (and learn to make less - that's what I had to do, it's taken four years to learn how to make less for less waste)
    I really like your thinking! In the trash or on my hips. I will have to remember this next time. And I do make small portions, they are just so picky, sometimes it's 1 bite then refusing to eat. It's even day to day what they like one day they won't the next, lol!
  • Lifetimegoals
    Lifetimegoals Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Don't mean to be rude (English is not my first language), sorry if I unintentionally am. There's a saying in Portuguese that goes "if you eat something that would have otherwise been thrown in the trashcan, who becomes the trashcan?"

Since I read that, I never ate leftovers again. :p
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    It is frustrating when kids don't finish their food--particularly milk!
    However, I want my children to stop eating when they are full, so I don't make a big deal of wasted food. If its something really good like 1/2 a baked potato, chicken breast, etc., I put it in a container for my own lunch the next day.
    I, also, go with small portions to start, and they can get seconds or thirds, if they've eaten vegetables and are still hungry.
  • bogden78
    Options
    and I do want to add that I add what I eat into my daily calories, so I'm still within my daily calories, it's just not my first choice of food
  • Lifetimegoals
    Options
    hedwardsb, I think you are doing a great job with your kids! Loved your way to get them used to eating veggies and smaller portions of other foods. And LOVED the fact you don't force them to finish their food/drink (I used to be, when I was a child, and it was horrible). Well done! :)
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Save it for their next meal, or give it to the dog! I find that the bits of food my children have left dont really equal very much, so I don't stress over it. I'd stress about things worse if I ate it!
  • Lifetimegoals
    Options
    and I do want to add that I add what I eat into my daily calories, so I'm still within my daily calories, it's just not my first choice of food

In this case, I think it depends on how much you actually like the food you're eating and how good it is for your health. :)
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Get a dog. They'll eat anything.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Toss it...kids are going to be kids. I've seen my niece down a ton of pancakes at age 5 in one meal and the next day refuse to eat anything but something the size of a Susan b Anthony dollar coin. They are either hungry or not hungry. At that point, no unhealthy snacks if they refuse to eat. The reality is kids are testing foods at this point and are wishy washy about stuff. One day, they only eat hot dogs...the next....they loved this dish...the next day...they hate it....

My nephew drove us mad with this....loved the spaghetti sauce...saw chunks....gross!!! Of course, he tries it and loves it...next day doesn't. Honestly, if I ate everything he didn't eat, I'd be huge. Kids are tricky beings and you need to think about your health. Besides, there was a fork in that food so basically putting it in the fridge is asking for a growing bacteria experiment. I say, don't make yourself into a trash compactor...eat your food and dump theirs and avoid snacks if they aren't eating right. They may be filling up on stuff that's not healthy.

Monica

P.S. My sister stopped doing that because she discovered it's an easy way to spread viruses among family members...that unseen disease that suddenly pops up.
  • wmphimu
    wmphimu Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. I grew up in a house where we just didn't throw food away, and it drives me up the wall to waste food now as an adult. My daughter (3 1/2) eats whatever we're eating, and her appetite varies GREATLY from day to day. So I just never know how much to make her. It's fine when leftovers will work - I just make enough for 4 (there are 3 of us) and then one or two of us will have lunch, depending on how much she eats. But I agree that it's really tricky when it's a meal that won't really keep, like fish. One thing that I have tried is having my husband clear the dinner plates instead of me - he has no problem throwing it away. Would love to hear other ideas too (since we don't have a dog!) :)
  • roastedmallow
    Options
    Paula I love that! I've never thought of it that way.

It's so hard for me to throw out food. But I think "do I want this?" Or "is it worth the calories?" If the answer is no it is tossed.
  • curvymomo3
    curvymomo3 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate as well!!! I had to tell myself over and over and OVER again I AM NOT A GARBAGE DISPOSAL!!! I AM WORTH MORE!!! (because this was such a huge guilt/whatever issue with me!! )
    so far its been six months and I have not done it since!

here is what helps me...

I only dish up little servings to begin with. ( if they are still hungry they may have more of course :D )
    I will quickly disregard the leftovers before I can think! ( I even once squirted dishsoap on them!)
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    If they had eaten it, it would still be gone- trash it.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    A fun trick to get young kids to eat healthier foods is to serve colorful fruits and veggies in plastic ice cube trays. Fill the cups the trays with whole grain crackers, fresh cut fruits and veggies and bite sized pieces of lean meat.

This way, they get their own special plates of fun-to-eat foods. If you'd like to save the left overs for yourself just wrap it up and stick it in the fridge. It's fresh food and can easily get topped on a salad or into your oatmeal or yogurt whatever. The colors and textures make the experience a good one for the kids.