Anyone Just Stsrt Couch to 5K?

Options
I just started the couch to 5K program Friday (1-11-13) and I am looking for others that may have just started or might be starting this week. If I just described you feel free to friend me. :) I would love some support during this since I am NOT a runner by any means.

If you don't know what it is here is a link: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/

Replies

• Tdacks
    Tdacks Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Well, I've been at the "starting" point for going on 8 months now. We get up to week 3 or 4 and then get too busy and restart at week 1. Progress is slow not because the program is hard, but because getting my running partner(s) and myself on the same schedule and sticking to it is tough. Someone always has a school thing to do that is more important, or is exhausted, or gets sick mid-semester. For awhile we were running C25K on the beach, which is tough but fun. Unfortunately, it is a 15 minute drive to the beach, which really cuts into my day. I can actually run faster/more than we do in weeks 1-4, but my knee can't take the quick change from no running for a few weeks to running week 4. So, here I am back on week 1 :)
  • shellbellnz
    shellbellnz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Well I am just on week three if you want to add me. There is another thread somewhere about it to. I am no runner either but I am managing so far.
  • juliedor
    juliedor Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Well, I've been at the "starting" point for going on 8 months now. We get up to week 3 or 4 and then get too busy and restart at week 1. Progress is slow not because the program is hard, but because getting my running partner(s) and myself on the same schedule and sticking to it is tough. Someone always has a school thing to do that is more important, or is exhausted, or gets sick mid-semester. For awhile we were running C25K on the beach, which is tough but fun. Unfortunately, it is a 15 minute drive to the beach, which really cuts into my day. I can actually run faster/more than we do in weeks 1-4, but my knee can't take the quick change from no running for a few weeks to running week 4. So, here I am back on week 1 :)
  • juliedor
    Options
    Hi,could you tell me how to go back to week one?I need to restart but can't work out how to.
    Thanks
  • CatMasterson2
    Options
    I'm "re-starting" the C25K after having stalled at week 3 before Christmas. Just can't seem to push myself past this week.
  • nesstle
    nesstle Posts: 62
    Options
    just did week 2, day 1 tonight. feels good, feel free to add me
  • shandi_b
    shandi_b Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I started C25K nearly 2 weeks ago....I'm up to day 3 of week 1.......
    I've never been a runner / jogger.......pretty much dislike it with a passion, but I can walk for hours and hours.
    Even in my teenage years when I was thin (approx 128 lbs at 5' 8") played sport (netball and softball) and cycled I was never one for jogging or running.
    However, this year it's a goal to be able to run 5km even if it takes me all year!
    (I've also got a massive amount of weight to lose - approx 75lbs to get to get to my goal of 162-163lbs)

Feel free to add me. :)
  • bootcey
    bootcey Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am week 1 day 2. I have signed myself up for a1 mile and 5k in March to motivate myself to keep to it. Add me as a friend I would love to support you and I need the support as well in this new endeavor.
  • Gabriall
    Gabriall Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed week one so much I've restarted and done it 4 times already :).

TBH I'm getting back to running after having stopped for 2 years so completely hopeless at it again, but doesnt matter how slow you go, you'll still be lapping everybody on the couch.
  • jmacavoy
    jmacavoy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I followed the program a few years ago at the age of 45. Before I started I couldn't even run for a bus and I'd never even ran at school. The first about 5 weeks were the hardest and then suddenly I got an energy I've not had before. Within 6 months of starting, I ran 10K for Cancer Research. It really is an excellent way of starting running. If you have it on an app, pick some really up beat songs. The music will spur you on. Change the music regularly, too or you will get bored. I used songs I loved but hadn't heard in ages. Just remember not to sing along while running... people give you funny looks :-)
  • LaStefany
    LaStefany Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm starting C25k tomorrow! Tried it several months ago but I couldn't find the energy after starting a new job and eventually skipped a day, then two, then just stopped altogether. This time I'm determined! I used to love to run and still do! Just gotta get that energy again. Every time I go walking I really just want to pick up and run, but I know my body is just not ready yet. So, as long as I follow the steps I should gradually regain my energy and finally be able to RUN, RUN, RUN!

Anyone who is doing the C25k feel free to add me! I love to give (and receive!) encouragement. :D

WE CAN DO THIS!
  • Pixie8504
    Pixie8504 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I am in week 9. Just finished day one about 30 minutes ago. It works. I was jogging for 30 minutes.
  • hifromjamers1984
    hifromjamers1984 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I just completed week 1 this morning but feel free to add me.
  • TheMisses22
    TheMisses22 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement everyone! (and the adds) My husband is a triathlete and marathon runner so I want to at least be able to run a 5K with him! I am using the Bluefin C25K podcasts and they have pretty good music. What is everyone else using?

Good luck everyone.. I know we can all do it!
  • melissarina
    melissarina Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I started yesterday. I did 3 weeks of C25K last year before hurting my ankle, I'm determined to get through it this time :) Feel free to add me
  • kensgirl2
    kensgirl2 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I finished Week1 Day2 last night! I've tried it a couple of times before and usually get side-lined with shin splints, so I'm going to try it again! (With lots of icing down the shins this time!) I am not, nor have I ever been, a runner of any kind, so this will be a huge accomplishment for me in and of itself if I finish! And of course, I'm hoping to lose quite a few pounds along the way!

Good luck to us all! :smile:
  • piste9
    piste9 Posts: 8
    Options
    I'm gonna start within the week.

Please feel free to add me, I'm pretty new to MFP and the extra motivation will be much appreciated.
  • GMorrisUK
    GMorrisUK Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I did this in June-Oct 2011 and subsequently ran a 5K, 8K and 10K race after completing it! It is an excellent programme. I stopped running for a few months with a non running related injury. So when I started up again, I went back to Week 5 of Couch to 5K to work my way back up to running 5K again. That is the beauty of it - even seasoned athletes can use it to come back from time off running.

Feel free to add me - even if just for motivation!

I am now on Week 7 (doing the 25min run portion.) - From this week I will start logging only my running distance and time on Endomondo/Daily Mile and not the entire Walk/Run/Walk cycle. This will give me a good idea of botht he distance and time I am 'RUNNING'!!
  • juliedor
    Options
    Can some one please tell me how to restart couch to 5km.I want to restart it at week one.
    Thanks.
  • juliedor
    Options
    It's Ok I did it!