difficulties in eating 1200 calories a day

Options
I am finding it terribly difficult to eat 1200 calories a day because I have zero appetite. I don't want to force myself to eat to hit the calorie goal... Am I putting myself at risk but not hitting the 1200 mark? I also exercise for 60 minutes a day everyday, which gives me nearly half my calories back.

Typical meals eaten (eating less then or suggested servings)

Breakfast:
3/4c Greek yogurt, 1c of cereal, 1/4 cup of pomegranates

Lunch:
spinach salad with grape tomatoes, cucumber, mushrooms, snap peas, etc. sometimes add chicken, light dressing

Dinner:
shrimp and rice. refried bean soft tacos w/2%cheese and light sour cream. pasta with olive oil or butter and veggies

Any suggestions?
Thanks!!!
Vicki

Replies

• myscaleaddiction
    Options
    maybe add some healthy fat like olive oil or coconut oil to lunch? high calorie but not dense so you won't notice, just mind the portion size :)
  • peaceloveweedandveggies
    Options
    i have no appetite either. i try to get smoothies in as much as i can to bump my calories up. or ill have a few crackers with peanut butter. try using regular dressings instead of their "light" counterpart. another trick i always do if im making tacos,add a little avacado if you like it. good fats are needed in our diets.
  • sylvabelle89
    sylvabelle89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    drink smoothies
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    So you are netting 500 calories a day?? Stop exercising you need rest days anyway, overtraining can put the body into a state of stress and suppress the appetite. If that does not work see a doctor.

It's not just overall calories: you cannot eat all the protein, essential fats, carbs, vitamins, minerals, fibre and antioxidants you need for health, repair and refuelling if eating so low. You need nine servings of fruit and veg, three servings of dairy, oily fish or other protein at every meal, other healthy fats (nuts, seeds, cocoa, avocado, olives, block creamed coconut) at every meal, plenty of fibre and mineral rich foods (nuts, seeds, beans, lentils). If you don't have chicken at lunch you often are barely eating any protein until the evening then choosing shrimp which is lower in protein than most meat and fish, or beans which are low in protein, a pasta meal that doesn't contain any protein either.
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    peanut butter....and nuts or seeds are great additions to salad or just general, I can't stay under 1400 when I eat peanut butter and almonds in the same day
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I have about 200-300 left over lately since I started back and measuring and working out. I am just not hungry so it is what it is..I can't force myself...I lost 1.5 since re-starting just this wednesday..time will tell if not eating all the calories will hurt me.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Eat a spoonful of peanut butter. Problem solved.
  • jo0213
    jo0213 Posts: 7
    Options
    Add a protein shake?
    I used to eat protein shakes for breakfast once in awhile, but found eating them at night helps add the calories I missed during the day. I also have an addiction to late night ice cream. :)
    I recently discovered that making a protein shake at night both helps add to my daily calories and helps curb my ice cream cravings. And as a bonus, they have lots of other vitamins, nutrients and muscle building benefits.
    I make it with ice, 1/4 cup low fat milk and 1 scoop chocolate powder.
    Very good.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    nuts

avocado

peanut butter

seeds

olives

olive oil

low fat or higher--not non-fat--products

eggs, whole ones

quinoa/brown rice/ww pasta

cheese

hummus and pita with your salad
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Also, yes. If you are eating less than 1200 and also working out to burn nearly half of that, then your body is not getting the nutrition it requires. That is not healthy.

If you find it difficult, another thing to try initially is to increase the portions of everything you are eating.

But you do need to eat. Eating is good.
  • JohnDun
    JohnDun Posts: 140
    Options
    Hi
    I have this sort of problem as well but I have started to eat more fruit which helps. Red grapes are really nice and will give you some extra cals and they taste good. Also putting some extra cherry tomatoes in with things helps.

I also eat some of the low fat icecream, a couple of scoopes is a decent amount of cals. So really you can eat some more cals with treats...well thats the way I see it, after all we cant live on lettuce and water all the time.

Start introducing your treats more if you can....will also give you something to look forward too. Icecream and grapes....just think about that.....
  • larabell69
    Options
    I use shakes to help me reach my goal, as well stay under, I work a split shift and sometimes I have a battle both ways!! Lots of great ideas and support!! thanks for the post! :)
  • lala26105
    Options
    i do this too like once i get one the ball excercising and such and measuring i can eat a bowl of fruit a day and not be hungry at all idk why but i have tons of energy and im just like idk but if i stop all this then im a total hog so ugh lol
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    OP, please don't take offense, but I see posts like this periodically and I seriously don't get it. Can you help me understand how someone gets 40 lbs overweight without knowing how to eat more? Personally, I'm an expert in eating too much. My problem is learning to eat less.

Again, I'm not trying to be mean, even though I know it may come across that way. I really just have a hard time wrapping my head around the concept here.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    OP, please don't take offense, but I see posts like this periodically and I seriously don't get it. Can you help me understand how someone gets 40 lbs overweight without knowing how to eat more? Personally, I'm an expert in eating too much. My problem is learning to eat less.

Again, I'm not trying to be mean, even though I know it may come across that way. I really just have a hard time wrapping my head around the concept here.

I always think the same thing--I've never really had a weight problem and I still can't adhere to 1200 calories a day. It's just impossible.
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I find that most days aerobic activity suppresses my appetite. I'd recommend trying to eat more calorie-rich foods. not necessarily unhealthy ones, but maybe try some olive oil in foods, avocados, etc.

ETA: And nuts! Love nuts. Healthy, full of good fats, and calories :)
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same problem most of this week. I've had a TON of stress, but I've always been a stress eater so this is really weird.

I'm kinda force feeding of pretty much anything that sounds good. (I had absolutely no urge to eat after I hit 456 calories - 224 for exercise.....) Go figure today was the first day I got off my butt and worked out a bit, and it was the day my appetite was at it's worst. Oh well.

Hahaha the funny part is that I always wished I would have little-no appetite (I'm the fat chick who gets CRANKY if I don't eat) for a few days, and here I am with none, and that is annoying bc I don't want to be so ridiculously under. I give up on that.....how about a nice MODERATE appetite, please? :-p

Hope it works out better for both of us soon!
  • ShannonECTD
    ShannonECTD Posts: 203 Member
    Options

i feel the same, i see soo many posts like this and it makes me wonder well if that person has such a hard time eating how'd they gain weight in the first place? I do not have a hard time eating lol hence why im 65lbs over weight. I :heart: food :laugh:
  • carenscuisine
    Options
    just in the ingredients you list on your typical day you can add more calories....don't go for 2% cheese, use full fat...that should help. Having no appetite can sometimes and often indicate a form of depression. Some eat more some eat less when they feel this way.....some don't equate it to food. Either way, your big question might be more about your mental health than your nutritional health. I know because I am the non eater when stressed or sad. This will bite you in the *kitten* and your body will rebel. Its much harder to get your body into a normal state if you starve it. its a slippery slope, think about getting help.
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

This.

Because, OP, if you have a trick, I'd like to know it. I'd give a limb for that problem.

You've received great advice though. Healthy fats. Protein.