Need some advice...

NewBeginning2010
NewBeginning2010 Posts: 235 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I was doing great my first month my second month not so great. Still, I lost 10 in jan and 8 in feb. I am taking phentermine to help with apetite and the half has stopped working.

I really want to lose 12 more pounds by Easter so one month. I know its 2 pounds a week suggested but I have no doubt i can do it but i have been stuck for 2 weeks.

I dont know whether i should up the phen to a whole dose...i am also having trouble sticking to 1200 cals because i have been eating anywhere between 1300 and 1600.

Replies

• sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    How many calories does MFP suggest that you eat after putting in your height, weight and activity level? Are you exercising? Are you eating your exercise calories? Also - can you give us an idea of what you eat on a regular basis? How much fiber are you eating? How much protein, carbs, sugar, etc.?

If you are eating properly and drinking plenty of water - there is no reason for you to be hungry. You may need to eat more filling foods though, such as fruits and vegetables. You can eat a LOT of veggies, lean protein and whole grains for 1200-1500 calories!

Personally, I'm not a fan of taking medicine that alters your appetite... but that's just me!
  • ana70
    ana70 Posts: 93
    I would ask your doctor for this advice, I mean - it is your body after all....if you increase exercise you get to eat more. Even house cleaning can be counted...
  • NewBeginning2010
    NewBeginning2010 Posts: 235 Member
    They say on mfp 1200. I do eat alot of fiber and protien but with 12 sometime 16 hr work days the hunger kicks in
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    If you are eating properly and drinking plenty of water - there is no reason for you to be hungry. You may need to eat more filling foods though, such as fruits and vegetables. You can eat a LOT of veggies, lean protein and whole grains for 1200-1500 calories!

Great advice!

1200 calories sounds WAY low...In looking at your numbers, 1400-1600 would should still allow 2 pounds or so per week, if you're active. I think the last thing you want to do is try to lose more weight than that, as you will really risk slowing your metabolism, and possibly damaging it by losing lean muscle mass. You're after fat loss, right? 2 pounds a week is huge.

As for the hunger,
    1. Water...right now it should probably be your only drink, unless you like unsweetened tea. Artificially sweetened drinks will stimulate your appetite, too.
    2. Eat smaller meals more often. Swings in blood sugar flood your body with 'hunger hormones'. Eat a few hundred calories at least every 4 hours.
    3. Wean yourself from sugar, processed foods, and artificial sweeteners as much as possible, and you will see your hunger naturally abate.
    4.Clip on a pedometer and make sure you are walking at LEAST 10k steps for general activity throughout the day (we usually way underestimate how much we move around).
    5. Eat breakfast. I know it's tough when we're busy, but figure something out that's healthy and portable if you have to. You should be taking in around 300-400 calories the first four hours of the day (split it up during the 4 hours if you can't eat it all at once) Breakfast is a huge common denominator that separates successful long-term losers from yo-yo dieters.

Try these things first. There are some other things that help with hunger too, like stress reduction techniques, heart rate training, etc. But these are the big 5 (and the fact that you're using MFP and tracking you're food is huge).

You are making AMAZING progress ...8-10 pounds a month is a hundred pounds or so in a year, and you don't have nearly that much to lose!!!! Don't undo all of your hard work by trying to shortcut the process...Good luck, my friend!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member

Great advice!

1200 calories sounds WAY low...In looking at your numbers, 1400-1600 would should still allow 2 pounds or so per week, if you're active. I think the last thing you want to do is try to lose more weight than that, as you will really risk slowing your metabolism, and possibly damaging it by losing lean muscle mass. You're after fat loss, right? 2 pounds a week is huge.

As for the hunger,
    1. Water...right now it should probably be your only drink, unless you like unsweetened tea. Artificially sweetened drinks will stimulate your appetite, too.
    2. Eat smaller meals more often. Swings in blood sugar flood your body with 'hunger hormones'. Eat a few hundred calories at least every 4 hours.
    3. Wean yourself from sugar, processed foods, and artificial sweeteners as much as possible, and you will see your hunger naturally abate.
    4.Clip on a pedometer and make sure you are walking at LEAST 10k steps for general activity throughout the day (we usually way underestimate how much we move around).
    5. Eat breakfast. I know it's tough when we're busy, but figure something out that's healthy and portable if you have to. You should be taking in around 300-400 calories the first four hours of the day (split it up during the 4 hours if you can't eat it all at once) Breakfast is a huge common denominator that separates successful long-term losers from yo-yo dieters.

Try these things first. There are some other things that help with hunger too, like stress reduction techniques, heart rate training, etc. But these are the big 5 (and the fact that you're using MFP and tracking you're food is huge).

You are making AMAZING progress ...8-10 pounds a month is a hundred pounds or so in a year, and you don't have nearly that much to lose!!!! Don't undo all of your hard work by trying to shortcut the process...Good luck, my friend!

Thanks for posting. I was thinking that 1200 seemed low too - but I'm amazed by how many people are saying that 1200 is the number that MFP is giving them to eat! I thought maybe my views were a little skewed.

I couldn't agree with you more on everything - especially breakfast. And in my opinion, a protein shake, breakfast bar, cereal doesn't cut it... all of those things will make me more hungry throughout the day. Nothing substitutes eggs for me. I've tried... nothing else works.. the protein first thing in the morning is imperative for my success.
This discussion has been closed.