Eating late at night

Options
I always get hungry right before I go to sleep and or sometimes when I wake up in the middle of the night Does anyone else have this problem? any suggestions on what to eat instead of opening the fridge and grabbing the first thing I see, and or how to get rid of the urge to eat?

Replies

• Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It's safe to have a cheese stick or a tablespoon of peanut butter. Just try not to eat any carbs at night. It hels to make sure you are drinking enough water too
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    I eat up to 11:00pm at night. EVERY NIGHT. And go to sleep at about 12:00am.

As long as you stay at or under your total calories allowed per day, you should be fine. And it really doesn't matter what you eat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Eat something light 2 hrs before you go to sleep if this happens almost every night.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

As long as you stay at or under your total calories allowed per day, you should be fine. And it really doesn't matter what you eat.

IDEA Fitness member

+1

The whole "don't eat after (fill in the blank with your favorite "late" hour) because it will all turn to fat" argument is false and has been debunked many times.

If you are hungry and have the calories left, go ahead and eat.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

the man knows.

and, yeah. I don't get off work until 12 or later. eat at about 1 a.m., go to bed at 2.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    It's safe to have a cheese stick or a tablespoon of peanut butter. Just try not to eat any carbs at night. It hels to make sure you are drinking enough water too

also, no.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Manage the timing of your meals so you have more calories later at night and so go to bed full.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    whatever you do, don't eat after dark. I heard on Dr Oz it is what makes us fat.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    whatever you do, don't eat after dark. I heard on Dr Oz it is what makes us fat.

Actually, that was Oprah. And you see how that worked out for her.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    one thing I have heard is that we should lower your air intake and try to not overly breathe at night. The air particles activate the hunger synapsis inthe brain.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    one other thing that has helped me not eat late at nite is to not be awake.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Go to bed earlier.

Just kidding!

I agree that what time you eat doesn't matter, as long as you keep within your calorie limit and don't do stupid stuff like saving 1,000 calories for a midnight banana split right before you hit the hay. Because that just can't be good.

But if you want some ideas on how to stave off late-night hunger, here're mine:

- Tea. Especially sweet, milky tea. Yum. Fills you up, feeds your soul, and doesn't cost a lot of calories.

- Yogurt. Tangy, protein-rich yumminess that will take you to dreamland satisfied. Try half a cup of Fage 0% with some honey and fresh fruit. Total satisfaction for less than 200 calories.

- Broth. Best if you've made it from scratch (because it's tastier and has less sodium than the canned stuff). Delish and satisfying. Can be combined with shirataki noodles for a mere 40 extra calories.

- Almond milk, protein powder, and ice smoothie. Again, total satisfaction for less than 200 calories.

Hope this helps!
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options

and don't get wet.....or does that only apply to gremlins?
  • CraigR901
    Options
    Thank You for the great ideas! :) I will definitely try them!!
    Go to bed earlier.

Just kidding!

I agree that what time you eat doesn't matter, as long as you keep within your calorie limit and don't do stupid stuff like saving 1,000 calories for a midnight banana split right before you hit the hay. Because that just can't be good.

But if you want some ideas on how to stave off late-night hunger, here're mine:

- Tea. Especially sweet, milky tea. Yum. Fills you up, feeds your soul, and doesn't cost a lot of calories.

- Yogurt. Tangy, protein-rich yumminess that will take you to dreamland satisfied. Try half a cup of Fage 0% with some honey and fresh fruit. Total satisfaction for less than 200 calories.

- Broth. Best if you've made it from scratch (because it's tastier and has less sodium than the canned stuff). Delish and satisfying. Can be combined with shirataki noodles for a mere 40 extra calories.

- Almond milk, protein powder, and ice smoothie. Again, total satisfaction for less than 200 calories.

Hope this helps!
  • CraigR901
    Options
    LMAO not very well

Actually, that was Oprah. And you see how that worked out for her.
  • CraigR901
    Options
    Really? so its bs that if u eat after a certain hour that it will just turn to fat? And that it doesnt matter as long as I keep up to my calorie goal?

IDEA Fitness member

+1

The whole "don't eat after (fill in the blank with your favorite "late" hour) because it will all turn to fat" argument is false and has been debunked many times.

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Really? so its bs that if u eat after a certain hour that it will just turn to fat? And that it doesnt matter as long as I keep up to my calorie goal?

IDEA Fitness member

+1

Total BS. Its about the energy balance overall.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I work until 10pm, work out for an hour and a half THEN shower and eat dinner about 1am. I fall into bed between 2 and 3am. It does not matter when you eat.
  • 3patsy3
    3patsy3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I eat at night too, it helps me sleep. If I get up & want to eat, a spicey v-8 juice is marvelous. I've always heard that old saw about not eating at night. I'm on this eating plan to lose weight, not to torture myself.!
  • mowomannell
    mowomannell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When my body is saying its hungry and I know its not _really_ hungry, I fool it by having a tablespoon of psyllium husk mixed with 1/2 cup of fruit juice and diluted as much as tastes good. A great solution- it will tell your stomach it is full, add fiber to your diet and protect you from certain nasty cancers. The only thing to watch is not to let yourself get dehydrated, as it does absorb a lot of water. Try it! You'll like it!