protein amount for active women, discrepancies

Options
Hi,

fitness pal says I should have 45g of protein/day... first session with a personal trainer he recommended 100g/day... I was also told there is a healthy ratio between calories of carbs, protein, and fat consumed but I cant remember what it is. Because of the trainers words, I feel like I am not getting enough protein? I consume between 45g/day and ~65g/day, I'm a 23yr old female, I jog 4-5 times a week and do strength training about 3 times a week for 20-30 minutes (except for the past week being terribly sick x_x ). What are your protein goals? Does my intake seem ok? Anybody? hmm? answers? .... :)

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    The minimum I see suggested is 1g/kg but some people say 1g/lb of lean tissue or 1.2-1.8g/lb lean tissue. I'm 113lbs so that's roughly 51kg so I try to make sure I don't go below 51g protein. I have my goal set for 60g protein and I aim to go over on it.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Recommendations are definitely all over the place. I've seen them range from .5-1g per pound of lean mass. I figure the difference is demand, and you'd definitely be on the high end of that. The ratio doesn't matter all that much. Protein matters most, and getting a decent amount of healthy fats is great, fill the rest with carbs and you're good.

ETA: I personally go for over 110g protein. You had asked, and I left that out. :wink:
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    45g is LOWWWW, especially for someone wanting to keep muscle.

I aim for atleast 75g a day, don't always get it but it is a good average. I weigh 110 pounds.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    MFP's recommendations are way too low if you are very active. I try to get 1 g. of protein per lb of body weight, so about 130 g. for me. I went into Custom settings and changed my ratios to 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat (and it is healthy fats). It seems to work well for me as far as keeping me full and building muscle.

you can try this calculator too. Make sure you change the ratios.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    If you are eating at least three servings between meat and dairy (beans and nuts count, too), I would not be concerned about the exact numbers.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    MFP sets protein at 15% but more is recommended if you are strength training - around 30%.

I aim for 1g per lb of bodyweight, so around 125g, plus plenty of protein keeps you full!
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I do strength/weight lifting 3 x a week so I keep my protein high. I have my macros set to 35% protein, 35% carbs and 30% fat.
  • mAnimalMX
    Options
    Thankyou for all the valuable info, I'm glad I asked. Right now I am 145lbs, my body is probably begging for twice the protein I'm consuming! I definitely need to find a protein supplement to help me with this, too.

I find it sad how so many young women believe that protein and weight lifting are only for men. newsflash! muscles are hot!
  • Athena98501
    Options
    Thankyou for all the valuable info, I'm glad I asked. Right now I am 145lbs, my body is probably begging for twice the protein I'm consuming! I definitely need to find a protein supplement to help me with this, too.

I find it sad how so many young women believe that protein and weight lifting are only for men. newsflash! muscles are hot!

I did at first too, but you'll probably get to where you don't need it most days (unless you're vegan). Greek yogurt is a good way to supplement protein, too.
  • mAnimalMX
    Options
    Thanks for the weblink Erin :)
  • anybeary
    anybeary Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Whoa. I had no idea. How do you get 110 grams of protein into your diet? That seems like a LOT. Can I get a sample of someone's food diary with that much protein? Thanks!
  • mAnimalMX
    Options
    Whoa. I had no idea. How do you get 110 grams of protein into your diet? That seems like a LOT. Can I get a sample of someone's food diary with that much protein? Thanks!

yeah, what she said. Even if I eat my geek yogurt, bread loaded with protein, mixed nuts, and steak, protein cereal, a protein bar, lol etc....I still fall below my new goal. And I usually do not eat more than 1500 calories a day
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I aim to get over 100 most days. I'm 167cm, 60kg and lift weights and play sports though. Feel free to look at my diary it's open. I use whey protein shakes to supplement protein intake.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    MFP protein recommendations are REALLY low... you can change your macro settings to meet your own dietary needs.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    My goal is set to 85 and I do weights 3 times a week. On those days I take in a little extra protein so I end up going over. I guess I'm doing fine on that. I'm still progressing well...
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Check out Amped Wheybolic 60 protein.. the chocolate mixed with about 12oz skim milk tastes pretty close to chocolate milk... I only use 1 1/2 scoops after a workout and that puts me at about 45g protein and 320 calories. I use all 3 scoops if I need a meal replacement.

Also chicken breast is a great way to get in protein and can be eaten with pretty much anything.
  • Athena98501
    Options
    A protein powder smoothie is certainly helpful, especially when you're just starting out with a higher goal, and there's nothing wrong with it either. One thing I do frequently is get in a good-sized lean chicken breast or fish fillet with dinner (steak tonight, though :wink: ). I buy Foster Farms boneless, skinless chicken breasts at Costco, and they range from about 6-10 ounces. I would get around 60g of protein in an 8.5-9 oz serving, and it's under 250 calories.

I eat greek yogurt almost daily, and Dannon's Light & Fit Greek only has 80 calories, and 12g protein. Eggs, and egg whites are another good source of protein. Nuts are decent, but you can't contribute much to your protein without adding a lot of calories. That said, of course, they're wonderful just for the healthy fats they can provide.

My diary's open to friends, so any of you who'd like to see how one person does it could friend me. The last several days are blank due to illness, though. Today's log is there, and I log like clockwork (unless I'm sick as a dog lol).
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I eat 35% Carbs, 35% protein and 30 % fat. Comes out to 126 ( Carbs,) 126 Protein, and about 48 grams of fat. I eat around 1450 calories. everyone should change the settings, MFP defaults are WAY to high in Carbs, and WAY to low in protein,