Heart rate / calories burned

kiwiraz
kiwiraz Posts: 34
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
So here's a question for you all. I recently bought a HRM and I love having it. I'm just not exactly sure how to use it most effectively. I work out for 45 minutes and burn a certain amount of calories in that time period. But once I am done with the workout, my heart rate is still elevated and I am still burning calories at a great rate. So, do I count calories burned until my heart rate goes back to normal or just until the workout is over? Sorry if this question is a repeat from another post.

Replies

• toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    I personally turn it off as soon as I'm done working out. I like to think of those "afterburn" calories almost like a cushion in case I miscalculate a food item during the day.
  • jclguru
    jclguru Posts: 123
    I count the calories, but not the exercise time.

In other words, lets say I exercise for 30 minutes and burn 500 calories.
    I'll wait a minute or so until my heart rate drops under 60%. Then I'll stop
    my timer.

So I'll log 30 minutes of exercise and the extra 10 or 20 calories I get after
    that are just that, extra.

Doug
  • I need your help... How do you actually calculate your calories using your hrm??
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    So here's a question for you all. I recently bought a HRM and I love having it. I'm just not exactly sure how to use it most effectively. I work out for 45 minutes and burn a certain amount of calories in that time period. But once I am done with the workout, my heart rate is still elevated and I am still burning calories at a great rate. So, do I count calories burned until my heart rate goes back to normal or just until the workout is over? Sorry if this question is a repeat from another post.

I figured out that with my resting heart rate I usually burn about 100 calories an hour. So when I've had a hard work that stops within 15 minutes of an hour, I will let it run to the hour as my heart rate stays elevated for a good deal of time, and then subtract the 100 calories to account for my resting heart rate. Hope that made sense.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    I need your help... How do you actually calculate your calories using your hrm??

What kind do you have? Was there no manual with it?
  • For me it depends on what I'm doing afterwards. If I do a DVD at home and then just flop down on the couch afterwards, or hop straight in the shower, then I'll turn it off right away. But sometimes if I'm at the gym, I'll just change quickly (no shower! ha ha!) and then walk to get groceries or walk home. So those calories I'll count. (Though on those occasions I will minus a bit as lulabelle mentioned, because I figure if I've been wearing it for 2 hours, at least SOME of those calories are ones I would have burned anyway, so they aren't really 'extra'. So I usually minus 100 or so from the total at the end.) Haha, I'm sure that's clear as mud. :smile:
This discussion has been closed.