ways to season chicken breast?

Options
Hi! I want to know some ways to season/add flavor when cooking chicken breasts in a pan because I'm tired of tasteless chicken ha. Please share!

Replies

• GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Marinades. Piri piri (a la nandos) and jerk sauce are my favourites.
    24hrs in the fridge in a ziplock bag. Then under the grill. Mmm
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    One of our wonderful MPF friends suggested this: brush with sriracha hot sauce then roast...

ohhh this was soooo nice...
  • damiannikodem
    damiannikodem Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I took this recipe

http://greek.food.com/recipe/beef-souvlaki-16624

Replaced the meat with chicken, replaced yogurt with 'lite' greek yogurt, removed the oil, added baby spinach, 3 'lite' pita bread, and raw red onion, crunched the numbers in MFP and was completely shocked by the fact that a take-away sized souvlaki (that actually tastes like one) could come in at under 500 calories.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I love the very simple but tasty combo of lemon, garlic and oregano.
  • tropical24
    tropical24 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    We usually just add a tiny bit of salt and pepper and bake it in some type of Campbell's soup. (usually cream of mushroom, cream of chicken or tomato)
  • niknak2308
    niknak2308 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    If you're stuck, a good place to start is the herbs and spices aisle in the supermarket - you can often find some really cool flavours pre-mixed that you simply sprinkle on! I love garlic, black pepper and lemon best on chicken, but you can try pretty much anything :)
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    This rub tastes great on chicken, beef or pork. Keep it sealed up in a tupperware or rubbermaid container and it lasts forever.

1 cup sugar
    1⁄4 cup seasoned salt, such as Lawry's
    1⁄4 cup garlic salt
    1⁄4 cup celery salt
    1⁄4 cup onion salt
    1⁄2 cup paprika
    3 tbsp. chili powder
    2 tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
    1 tbsp. lemon pepper
    2 tsp. ground sage
    1 tsp. dry mustard
    1⁄2 tsp. ground thyme
    1⁄2 tsp. cayenne
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I made this the other night and hubby and daughter both really liked it. Super simple and really nice taste!
    BALSAMIC CHICKEN
    5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    125ml chicken stock
    2 tablespoons caster sugar
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
    4 skinless, boneless chicken breast fillets
    1 tablespoon olive oil

Whisk together the balsamic vinegar, chicken stock, sugar, garlic and Italian herbs in a bowl, place the chicken breasts in the marinade, and marinate for 10 minutes on each side.
    Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade and reserve the marinade. Place the chicken in the heated pan and cook until it starts to brown and is no longer pink inside, about 7 minutes per side. Pour the marinade into the pan, and cook until it thickens slightly, turning the chicken breasts over once or twice, about 5 minutes.

I didn't use as much sugar...probably half...and it was still really yummy! Oh and my pieces of chicken were really thick so 7 minutes didn't cook them enough. Next time I'll either butterfly them our pound them out a bit.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Try marinating with the Lawry's marinade. Great variety of flavors. Just be mindful of the sodium content but, it adds great flavor.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hinxx
    Hinxx Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I did mine (1 boneless chicken breast sauteed in a little bit of extra virgin olive oil) today with:

1/4 tsp freshly ground sea salt
    1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    1 tsp fresh rosemary
    2 tbsp red cooking wine

Delicious! :happy:
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Mine is simple and we like the taste. salt, peppercorn medley, onion powder and sweet paprika not the regular kind this comes in a little canister. Grill it up ..my daughter puts it on a wrap with some ceasar dressing but then again she is a skinny minny..mine on a plate or in a salad!
  • NatashaShen
    NatashaShen Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Shake n bake baby! Shake n bake....

Sorry, my brain has basically shut off and this is all I could think of.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Proper cooking techniques all but eliminate the need for much seasoning. Allow the meat to come to (nearly) room temp, make sure your pan is hot. Add oil, swirl, add your meat. Allow meat to sit (DO NOT PUSH DOWN), and don't move it until it slides easily and has a slight crust. Cook until just cooked through, no longer. etc, etc. etc.

Google "tips for cooking chicken" and practice. A perfectly cooked chicken breast with salt and pepper is just as delicious as a poorly cooked chicken breast soaked in seasoning.
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I like to use one tablespoon of teryaki sauce , 0.5 table spoons of ms dash and 0.5 tables spoons of ground pepper.
    And this is for stir frying 2 pieces of chicken on medium. I use olive oil and water for the pan.
  • nornas42
    nornas42 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite ways to have chicken is to smother in spaghetti sauce & add extra veggies like extra mushrooms for flavor.

We also have done a 4-hour marinate in ranch seasoning, then lightly coat in breadcrumbs and bake.

Also, cover in tropical fruits like mango, starfruit, strawberry, peach, etc., for a fruit-flavored (and delicious) chicken.

We've also done Cambell's soup concentrate on the chicken (cream of broccoli and mushroom are great - just watch your portions and don't do it too often).

Fajita seasoning for chicken taco's or taco-salad is refreshing.

BTW all of the above ideas except the taco's are courtesy of my fiance, who is actually a pretty creative cook for delicious ways to eat chicken. I'm a lucky girl!
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I've learned that ketchup goes great on chicken, or whatever, and is low in calories. Therefore, I don't sorry about seasonings or marinades. I just pour a little of the red liquid gold on it and enjoy.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I've learned that ketchup goes great on chicken, or whatever, and is low in calories. Therefore, I don't sorry about seasonings or marinades. I just pour a little of the red liquid gold on it and enjoy.

Prepared yellow mustard has NO calories whatever.

If your chicken breast has skin on it, try sliding a slice of orange or lemon OR some herbs underneath before roasting.

Citrus can also be juiced and the juice frozen in ice-cube trays. Simply take out a cube or two for the acid in your marinade.
  • babyshekamoo
    babyshekamoo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bump