Avocado

Options
Never tried it before but going to pick one up on Monday when I go food shopping. Any suggestions on what to do with it? Don't eat meat though :)

Replies

• homesbyd
    homesbyd Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    They are amazing, when choosing make sure its firm but soft, not mushy.. slice lengthwise, take out pit, salt, pepper , scoop and eat... I like Cayenne pepper and sea salt... yummy..
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Guacamole is an obvious one. Slice it up and put it on salads, in sandwiches, wraps, etc. Mash it up and it can be used as a spread for toast or crackers. Throw some into a smoothie.
  • ChrisC_77
    ChrisC_77 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Never tried it before but going to pick one up on Monday when I go food shopping. Any suggestions on what to do with it? Don't eat meat though :)

Sure! I love avocados. They are great slicked on sandwiches. Just find something that pairs well with it. Sliced with salt and lime. Make some guacamole. Also, they go good in smoothies. Avocado, banana, milk or if you don't drink dairy a good sub like coconut milk would taste the best. I made one the other day with 1/2 avocado, 1 banana, 1 cup milk, and 1/2 cup fresh peaches. You need to drink right away. Avocados will oxidize so if you only use half, tightly wrap the other half in plastic wrap then put in a storage container.

Also, really good along side eggs. Great in salads as well.
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    EVERYONE has a lot of different ideas, but my favorite is to just cut in half, kick out the seed, and eat with a spoon...of course, I prefer most of my foods natural, without added ANYTHING....not even salt...enjoy...where I live they are 88 cents ea..so buy a bunch...they are good for you, and I found that they DO NOT ADD pounds to you....
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I love avocados. Like a previous poster said, they are great with eggs. I slice up half an avocado and eat it with my 2 over easy eggs every morning!

Also I enjoy using avocado mixed with greek yogurt, a little pickle juice and salt as a substitute for mayo. It is great with "salads" like chicken, egg, turkey, potato, etc.!
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Guacamole is so easy to make and is a wonderful addition to so many dishes, sandwiches, etc. - or you can use as a dip with raw veggies. My favorite way to make it is to add salt, pepper, lime juice, cilantro and red onion, all to taste. The lime juice keeps it from getting brown as quickly (and tastes good)! For just one avocado, a couple of squeezes from a half lime should be enough.

Enjoy!
  • Bethie_B
    Bethie_B Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Chop it up and put it on salads. Nomnomnom!
  • clairemillen
    Options
    They're amazing! try with Chicken in a salad and you can't go wrong :-) yummy!
  • cgirly
    cgirly Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have them chopped in a green salad with some sliced turkey and some toasted seeds. Really fills you up for the rest of the day
  • Adrienne2012
    Adrienne2012 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    For some reason, avocado tastes absolutely delicious with cottage cheese. Although.. it's also delicious all by itself. And I know that people have already said guacamole... but I'll say it again. I think I could live on guacamole, if I could. Pairing some guac with veggies instead of chips might help keep the calories down. And good for you for trying something new. I always consider it a GOOD thing when I go through the checkout line at the grocery store and the clerk has to ask me what something is. When I became vegetarian, I began to really expand my repetoire of food, not lessen it! :-)
  • vidalar
    vidalar Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I often use avocado in place of mayo... MUCH healthier alternative. I recently made a salad of chunked avocado, green apples, cucumbers, onions, green tomatoes and a variety of herbs with a little sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Meatless deliciousness!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I love them on salads, sandwiches, and on any kind of Mexican food (sliced on top of enchiladas, in tacos, in fajitas, or even as a soup topping). You can also find tons of recipes that use them. They are calorie dense and very filling.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    For some reason, avocado tastes absolutely delicious with cottage cheese. Although.. it's also delicious all by itself. And I know that people have already said guacamole... but I'll say it again. I think I could live on guacamole, if I could. Pairing some guac with veggies instead of chips might help keep the calories down. And good for you for trying something new. I always consider it a GOOD thing when I go through the checkout line at the grocery store and the clerk has to ask me what something is. When I became vegetarian, I began to really expand my repetoire of food, not lessen it! :-)

You just blew my mind with the cottage cheese - which I also love. How do you eat it? I'm think inking a scoop in place of the pit, and then just eat with a spoon... Yum!
  • Harlequin16
    Harlequin16 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I usually have them sliced on toast with salt & pepper or cubed in spicy soup xD
  • NRLMMeynendonckx
    Options
    salt and pepper. Do you eat fish? It's delicious with tuna. Just mix it all together et voilà!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Okay, you don't eat meat, so that rules out slices in a ham or turkey sandwich. I cube them up, then mix them in with green n black olives, tomatoes, and some salad dressing. A family favorite. Do you eat eggs. Avocado and eggs make a spectacular combo. One of my daughters' favorite breakfasts is an egg poached in salsa, with avocado slices on top. We also use avocado to replace mayonaise. It's a perfect replacement option, and SO much healthier. My kids like to make guacamole their way - with pineapple juice, garlic, salt, and cilantro. By the time they're done taste testing, there's none left. I like guacamole slathered on a tortilla.

I hope this helps.
    Enjoy!
  • TwiistedTwiin
    TwiistedTwiin Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I use avocado in place of oil oil when I make a salad. I add all the salad ingredients and then a little basalmic, dill, and pepper...add diced avocado(mixes better) and stir welll.
    :flowerforyou:
    Vegetarian-going vegan here..
  • TwiistedTwiin
    TwiistedTwiin Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    To the posters suggesting meat: She doesnt eat meat. :angry:
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm going to take the road less traveled here and recommend avocado pudding. Take half an avocado, 1-2 tbs cocoa powder, a pinch of salt, and a little honey or Splenda. Mash it, mix it up, and top with mini chocolate chips if you'd like. You can also add some sort of milk for a creamier texture.
  • Arismar2022
    Arismar2022 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My favorite recipe is:
    Romaine lettice, fresh cilantro, sweet peppers, brown rice, black beans, half avocado and one squeezed lemon!
    It's my own Chipotle version! No High Sodium!!!!
    I am vegan as well! :)