On Resolutionists

Options

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    This is why I have never and will never join a gym. I've lost 34lbs by myself so far and I'm going running 3x a week and doing strength training at my house, by myself. I will get there without the help of a gym and I'll avoid those nasty mean people too.

I'm so glad to hear about your success! I just think that it's so sad that these types of people keep others who WANT to be healthy away from a really useful resource. Keep up the wonderful work! :)
    We'll see if you feel the same way in a couple years. It an unnecessary and arbitrary disruption to your routine. It's like if all the sudden, your drive to work starts taking 30 minutes longer, and this happens every year at the same time for no real apparent reason. It's annoying and unnecessary. I'm the first to applaud new people. I love success stories. It's not about that at all. It's just that 98% or more will quit in Feb/Mar, so it's just a huge waste of everyone's time. As I said, we'll see how you feel in a few years.

Frankly, I don't care how I'm going to feel about anything. Because for all of the Resolutionists that join and then quit, there are a few who make a commitment. And I'm not about to let those people know that they are unwelcome in MY gym. If your routine takes a little longer, make more time for it. Traffic in my city does fluctuate by about a half hour each time I drive it, so I get up a little earlier in the morning. And just because people leave the gym in February doesn't make it a "waste" of anything other than calories. They may not be long term members, but for a while they got in there and worked out and tried to be healthier. That should matter more than a little disruption to your routine.
    So very true. Even if only one person sticks with it, that's one life that's changed for the better and one more healthy person in the world!

^This! :)

Cool. You say that now. Lol.

No one makes anyone feel unwelcome. Lol. I don't know where you get that idea.

And, since you missed my entire point, what if your drive, HOWEVER LONG IT TAKES YOU EVERYDAY NORMALLY, is extended by 30 minutes for two months out of the year for no apparent reason. That's what it's like.

I'm not negative on new people at the gym. I'm negative on the unnecessary influx. I have never joined on Jan 1. Usually, I join in the summer. But, joining on Jan 1 has a thing to it. I wouldn't do it just on principle alone. But, that's me.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm not negative on new people at the gym. I'm negative on the unnecessary influx. I have never joined on Jan 1. Usually, I join in the summer. But, joining on Jan 1 has a thing to it. I wouldn't do it just on principle alone. But, that's me.

I'm with this guy.

I could care that less that new people join the gym.. hey, more revenue for the gym.

I do care that the new people forget their god given common sense/manners during this time.
    If you are on a machine I'd like to use and you are on a cell phone instead of working out, I will tell you to move it.. new or not. There are too many people to be acting like the gym is your own personal lounge.
  • RacheUk82
    RacheUk82 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    ok, IM A RESOLUTIONIST!!! Yes I joined in Jan because my local gym was offering a a very good deal (I know thats the point but still) surely me getting my derriere and off the couch is better than sitting at home stewing in my own juices?

I have been debating joining the gym several times, because the act of actually going somewhere to work out will make me do it, where as at home I will get distracted by other things, but I KNEW the attitude of others would be despising my good intentions.

But, SO WHAT, I am loving the gym, and coupled with MFP I am seriously getting a buzz, fingers, legs and toes crossed that I keep with it.

I just wish I had silenced those critics years ago!
  • mjstewies
    mjstewies Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Seriously agree with Glass Slippers. Thank you.
  • prettygorgtors
    Options
    Everyone has to start somewhere, I think a lot of people in those types of threads fail to realize that.
  • mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    I've now been a member of 3 gyms. The first was one of those big box brands and I felt the discrimination year round. And I joined in the summer! It was either skinny girls laughing at me or old men trying to get me into the hot tub... ew. I found my comfort zone in the free weight area. Most of the men were friendly enough, but I still felt a little peeved about it. When that membership expired, I had moved and joined a very small gym in my small town. No judgement since I was usually the only person in there. My mom was my personal trainer and introduced me to circuit training. Worked great and I really loved it. Not surprisingly, that gym closed while I was in school working and studying 90 hours a week. The pounds packed on from not eating, stress, no sleep, and no time to work out.
    Fast forward to yesterday. I live in a 112 year old farmhouse. I can't bounce around the floors and we're scared a weight set would fall through -haha- So I was looking for a small gym with the items necessary to get my circuit training groove on. I set up an appointment, went in and waited for the lady by looking around the gym. I was actually inspired by the people there. Several asked if I was wanting to join, told me about things they'd learned and what they liked about the gym. It was actually very supportive. I guess the real difference is I walked in with confidence. I may have lost my shape, but I still know what I'm doing.

If you're having problems with snobs at your gym, find supportive people and focus on them. Ignore the snobs, they don't know what they're missing.

Edit: to correct spelling.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I think most of you are overreacting to the last thread. Yes, there were some that got out of line, but overall, most people were expressing their frustrations with seeing, year after year, their gyms becoming overrun with people. For us seasoned gym goers, it is akin to a high tourist season in a town/city where tourist flock to at certain times of year. Over time, there becomes a feeling of dread and frustration.

I also have to say, the newbies aren't always the most friendly. When I first started going to the gym about 10 years ago, my first week I was on the bench press, and during a set a guy came over and corrected by form and told me to "slow down eat rep" to get better results. I appreciated the critique from an obvious more informed gym goer, but I've been almost spit at several times when I've tried to offer help to obvious new people when they were using form that wasn't just ineffective, but possible dangerous. So, it is a two way street.

However, whether you become one of them or not, because they all say they aren't going to quit 2 weeks in, a gym wouldn't make money if everyone that signed up used the gym.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Do we really need another "resolutionist" thread?
  • SummerNights32
    SummerNights32 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    As a 270 pound female, I joined the gym and never once felt like people we judging me. What I felt was that I was judging myself, and comparing myself against the people who had been there for years. I think if most people really stop and think about it, people at the gym are not laughing at you...especially when most of them walked in the same shoes you are at one point. I think we all join a gym, starting off inexperienced and self conscious...so we tend to feel we are being judged. In reality we are the only ones doing it.

On another note, I do get annoyed at resolutionsist sometimes. Not the resolutionists who come in and work towards their goals, but the ones that quit after just a few minutes. For example...this week I have seen at least 2 new people quit a class 10 minutes after it starts. Those were 2 spots that someone else could have taken, whether new or not. What is what annoys me. If you are going to join a gym, and pay for it, be serious about it. Effort goes a long way.

For the rest of the new people who really want to try, I am all for it. Believe it or not, we were all there one time too. I am now 190 pounds and spend a lot of the time in the gym, but I remember what it was like at 270.
  • fionadasein
    fionadasein Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    We'll see if you feel the same way in a couple years. It an unnecessary and arbitrary disruption to your routine. It's like if all the sudden, your drive to work starts taking 30 minutes longer, and this happens every year at the same time for no real apparent reason. It's annoying and unnecessary. I'm the first to applaud new people. I love success stories. It's not about that at all. It's just that 98% or more will quit in Feb/Mar, so it's just a huge waste of everyone's time. As I said, we'll see how you feel in a few years.

Every year, new humans and baby animals are born into the world, creating more competition for limited resources. What's worse is that a huge proportion of these resource-stealing individuals die young, so it was a total waste! Oh wait, it wasn't, because that yearly cycle produces stronger individuals every year that DO make it.

#perspective
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    It saddens me that so many people avoid the gym because of their perceptions or experiences of how others will treat them. Personally, I couldn't care less of what people at the gym think of me. We are all new at some point and going to the gym regularly was integral to achieving my goal weight and size (and now maintaining it).

For a much different perspective, check this out. THIS is how I view determined newbies:

http://flintland.blogspot.ca/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html
  • NattieJoan
    Options
    Really happy to see this post (:
  • mcflat29
    Options
    It saddens me that so many people avoid the gym because of their perceptions or experiences of how others will treat them. Personally, I couldn't care less of what people at the gym think of me. We are all new at some point and going to the gym regularly was integral to achieving my goal weight and size (and now maintaining it).

For a much different perspective, check this out. THIS is how I view determined newbies:

http://flintland.blogspot.ca/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

Beautiful! I still remember the first time someone walked up to me in a gym and said, "Nice set!" after I'd finished some curls and gave me a high five. Eventually, at some point, those of us serious about it do shed our shells. And for those saying the judgement doesn't exist. Believe me, there are places it does. I checked out a lot of gyms before I joined my current one and a few had their own cliches who were not afraid of blaring the "you are not welcome" sign. Again, it was only a few, and I did walk in confident. The gym holds no fear for me now. Then again, I didn't join those gyms. ;) I found the place I felt comfortable and if I think someone is being judgmental or outright laughing at me (yes, it's happened), I will simply smile and keep going. :flowerforyou: This is MY journey, people can either ignore me, cheer me on or get the heck out of my way :wink: Makes no difference to me.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think just maybe, that people spend far too much time worrying about what other people think about them. The chances are they haven't even noticed you, much less judging you and resenting your presence in the gym. It's a minor inconvienience when the gym is full, but in my experience there's no laughing at the newbies or judging going on. I think perhaps people are judging the regulars attitudes rather than the regulars judging the newbies.
  • tempest501
    tempest501 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think just maybe, that people spend far too much time worrying about what other people think about them. The chances are they haven't even noticed you, much less judging you and resenting your presence in the gym. It's a minor inconvienience when the gym is full, but in my experience there's no laughing at the newbies or judging going on. I think perhaps people are judging the regulars attitudes rather than the regulars judging the newbies.

I so agree with this 110%
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    My gym gets busy in January, and in September when the weather gets cooler. It means having to line up for a whle to get into my favourite spin class, and I sometimes need to wait to use machines. I put in my ear buds, listen to music, and do some stretching. Waiting a few minutes never killed anybody.

Lots of people may start up with best intentions in a new year and then fall away in the next month or so. Sometimes it takes starting and failing and starting and failing a number of times for it to stick. People have to find the right thing. i have a friend who has been heavy her whole life. Last January she hired a trainer and said "I'm going to do a 5K." No one supported her because she has made this resolution so many times, but for the first time, it stuck. She ran her 5K, raised money for teen suicide prevention, and is now training for a half marathon.

Personally, I feel inspired when I see people who are really struggling to get fit. I look at how hard they are working and redouble my own efforts.

If I have any gripe with new gym members it's that they haven't yet learned gym etiquette,like maximum 30 minutes on the cardio machines and wiping down the machines when they're done with them (my number one gym pet peeve).
  • mcflat29
    Options

I'd agree with this 95% of the time. But, as I said, I have been laughed at directly in my face a few times with one girl even telling me, "Fatties don't come here. You're taking up space for us pretty girls to find men." Disgusting and rare but it DOES happen. Oh and before I get the typical "I asked for it" response. I was riding one of the many stationary bikes, minding my own business with plenty of machines open for her and her couple of friends. I finished my workout without a word or glance at her but it did sting.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    I'm really happy for the newbies! Particularly the larger ones! There is a fairly large man that has joined my gym and I've seen him twice, I never said anything to him but I felt proud for him for returning! I look out for him now to see if he is keeping it up. Go him! :)
  • mcflat29
    Options
    I'm really happy for the newbies! Particularly the larger ones! There is a fairly large man that has joined my gym and I've seen him twice, I never said anything to him but I felt proud for him for returning! I look out for him now to see if he is keeping it up. Go him! :)

YAY! People like you are the reason people fall in love with their gym. Thank you!.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    more people=stupider you get for some reason.
    The irony of this statement is that the whole "resolution" thing is based on a herd mentality to begin with. I don't belong to a gym nor care about what happens inside them. I just find that the whole "resolution" thing is in general the equivalent of "I want to have lots of money so I'm buying a lottery ticket."

I also find it humorous that the people who complain about being judged are judging others based on what they imagine they are thinking.