oatmeal!

becky23
becky23 Posts: 60
edited September 20 in Recipes
:happy: Any oatmeal lovers out there?

I'm looking for different, healthy, low sugar ways to prepare my oatmeal in the morning. I'm getting so bored. lol!

Anyone have anything I should try??

Replies

• rockwife
    rockwife Posts: 35
    1. I make a packet of plain instant oatmeal w/ ff milk. I then stir in 1tablespoon of creamy peanut butter and one pack of sweetner.

2. Same as above, leave out pb, stir in a packet of hot cocoa mix when you need a chocolate fix.

3. instant oatmeal, ff milk and a cup of blueberries or raspberries (frozen) and sweetner.

4. instant oatmeal, ff milk and a 1/2 c of diced peaches. this is almost like dessert
  • Crunchytxmama
    Crunchytxmama Posts: 169 Member
    I like steel cut oats, with 1 tbsp. of natural peanut butter and a little honey.
  • Starrotts
    Starrotts Posts: 164
    i luv oatmeal and eat it everyday.....mmmmmmmmmmmmm:flowerforyou:
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    I usually eat my oatmeal with fruit, usually berries. Frozen works great for when they aren't in season. I also really like it with a bit of part-skim ricotta mixed in. That gives it a really creamy texture and taste. Yesterday, I made mine from a suggestion I saw here on MFP. I used a tablespoon of peanut butter and co's dark chocolate dreams PB and it was YUMMY!
  • I eat oatmeal every morning! It's THE BEST! I mix it up a lot, so here are a few of my favourite combos:

To start I always use 1/3 cup quick cooking oats, mix with 2/3 cup water, and microwave for 1:20. Add about a tsp of cinnamon and a tsp of brown sugar. Then the toppings are endless!

- 3/4 cup blueberries or raspberries (microwaved so they get all hot and juicy), 1/3 c. cottage cheese, 1 tbsp. coconut butter stirred in, topped with some shredded coconut
    - 1/3 cup pumpkin, 1/3 cup cottage cheese, whole lotta pumpkin pie spice (pumpkin pie oatmeal!)
    - sliced banana and a tablespoon of almond butter
    - finely chopped apple, microwaved for about 2 minutes with cinnamon and a pinch of brown sugar, stir in cottage cheese or ricotta too!
    - tbsp of jam and tbsp of peanut butter (pb&j oatmeal!)
    - dried apricots (chopped), usually add berries to this as well, since dried fruit is so calorie-dense.

I almost always top off the whole bowl with a tbsp of ground flax meal.

If cottage cheese in oatmeal sounds gross, just try it once. You can puree the cottage cheese if the texture grosses you out. :smile: (I often use my immersion blender and just stick it straight into the container and puree the whole thing.) It makes your oatmeal so nice and creamy and protein-y and filling!
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    I just finished eating mine! I microwave a cup and a quarter of water, then put in 1/2 cup extrafine (also called child's) oats and let it sit for a minute, then microwave it again for about 45 seconds or until it is just about to boil over. Sometimes I dose it with almond butter and fruit, today I added an egg and some blueberries and nuked it again, then put 2 tblsp of dark maple syrup on it. It is so filling I won't have to eat for five hours.
    I will try coconut as acakeforawife recommended - that sounds great!
  • OSU_Sarah
    OSU_Sarah Posts: 107 Member
    All I pretty much eat for breakfast is oatmeal! You can always add berries. I put Splenda and Cinnamon in mine. No calories in either of those!!!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    I add a splash of vanilla extract and cinnamon while it is cooking on the stove. Sometimes stir in a spoonful of peanut butter. Today I had it with a tablespoon of shredded coconut.
  • becky23
    becky23 Posts: 60
    Thanks for all the ideas guys! I usually do the cinnamon and truvia with a tiny bit of sugar free maple syrup. It's good, but I'm bored with it lol!

I don't know about the peanut butter thing though. I like to eat my peanut butter right off the spoon like a lollypop lol! It's bad enough that I do that!!!
  • eliblish
    eliblish Posts: 124 Member
    I cook the old fashioned like it says on the box and then mash up 1/2 a banana in it and stir in 2 tb walnuts. Really good!!! Or I just stir in some polaner all fruit.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    I eat oatmeal every morning! It's THE BEST! I mix it up a lot, so here are a few of my favourite combos:

To start I always use 1/3 cup quick cooking oats, mix with 2/3 cup water, and microwave for 1:20. Add about a tsp of cinnamon and a tsp of brown sugar. Then the toppings are endless!

- 3/4 cup blueberries or raspberries (microwaved so they get all hot and juicy), 1/3 c. cottage cheese, 1 tbsp. coconut butter stirred in, topped with some shredded coconut
    - 1/3 cup pumpkin, 1/3 cup cottage cheese, whole lotta pumpkin pie spice (pumpkin pie oatmeal!)
    - sliced banana and a tablespoon of almond butter
    - finely chopped apple, microwaved for about 2 minutes with cinnamon and a pinch of brown sugar, stir in cottage cheese or ricotta too!
    - tbsp of jam and tbsp of peanut butter (pb&j oatmeal!)
    - dried apricots (chopped), usually add berries to this as well, since dried fruit is so calorie-dense.

I almost always top off the whole bowl with a tbsp of ground flax meal.

If cottage cheese in oatmeal sounds gross, just try it once. You can puree the cottage cheese if the texture grosses you out. :smile: (I often use my immersion blender and just stick it straight into the container and puree the whole thing.) It makes your oatmeal so nice and creamy and protein-y and filling!

I thought I was the only one that added cottage cheese to my oatmeal!! It makes is so creamy... love it!!

I use old fashioned oats, then add some of toppings listed... berries, sliced banana, solid pumpkin, chocolate protein powder (yum!), walnuts or Naturally More PB, and try adding some cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice.

Toppings are endless!!
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    If you've never had Steel Cut Oats - you have got to try them! They need something to sweeten them up - lately I've been adding a 1/2 cup cut strawberries with a 1/4 tsp of sugar. I always add a tbsp of ground flax seed as well. It's also good with brown sugar & cinnamon or dried cherries. Very good and very filling!
  • ican♥and♥iwill
    ican♥and♥iwill Posts: 176 Member
    This morning I added 2 TBSP of sugar free pancake syrup to mine. It was DELISH!!
  • Burtonrah
    Burtonrah Posts: 142
    adding yogurt and applesauce or fruit is yummy too!!

that pumpkin, cottage cheese and pumpkin pie spice sounds soooooooooooooooooo delicious!!!! I'm gonna have to try that for sure!!
  • Sweetie_Pie92
    Sweetie_Pie92 Posts: 314 Member
    I love oatmeal! I like the slow cook kind better thank the instant, but they both work :D I love adding all sorts of fruit to mine: berries, diced up melon, banana, diced apple, ect...
    Also, I have kind of an interesting recipe that I found. I used it just this morning (I've made a few alterations to it):

1/2 cup quick cooking oats (I also love to use the instant oatmeal that comes in the different flavors, like maple&brown sugar!)
    3/4 cup egg whites (the ones that come premixed or regular)
    3-4 medium sliced strawberries (or blueberries, or bananas or any other kind of fruit you wish)
    2 TBSP brown sugar
    optional: 1/4 cup fat free ricotta for top (or cottage cheese)

Whisk the oats in with the brown sugar and egg whites (I do this in a mixing cup, easy to pour). Heat up skillet and spray non stick spray.

Pour mixture into pan as you would do a pancake, let cook for about 1 1/2 - 2 minutes a side.

Makes about 4 good size pancakes, top with ricotta/cc if you desire.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    I eat the same thing for breakfast every single morning- 1/2 cup quick oats, 1/4 tsp of vanilla extract and 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of brown sugar. It has some sugar, but it is really low compared to most breakfast cereals.

Lots of these recipes sound really really yummy though.
  • sissy56
    sissy56 Posts: 108 Member
    Love oatmeal. I usually have it with blueberries and walnuts, but every now and then, raisins and apple pie spice. We found dried blueberries with no sugar or other additives and they were great to throw in the steel-cut kind while they were cooking. Next season, I'm buying three times as many.
This discussion has been closed.