medifast

Options
I was wondering if anyone has tried medifast at all. I was thinking about doing it however, my daughter is talking me out of it. she said to just keep my calories to 1200 and exercise. I need to try to have 80lbs gone by my other daughters wedding in October. which I think if I lose 2lbs a week I could achieve but I need a huge weight loss right away to get it going. Any suggestions?

Replies

• mayamagallanes
    mayamagallanes Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My aunt uses it, she likes it. I myself like herbalife!!
  • workijng2befit
    Options
    do you know how much she has lost and how long? I see on the website you still have to eat one meal of you own besides their food. Just wondering if it was worth the money
  • AliceAsya
    AliceAsya Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've knew someone who did it. They lost tons of weight quickly and gained it all back when they stopped.
  • aliciab307
    aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I did it lost over 50 lbs in 5 months now im eating healthy losing the rest of my weight. If you dont adapt a healthy lifestyle you will gain it all back
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    If the intention is just to lose weight for an event, then ANY DIET if stuck to will do. If the intention is to KEEP IT OFF for life, then learn now how to control your calorie intake on a daily basis while you eat the foods you like to eat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • workijng2befit
    Options
    Thanks for letting me know. I defin. have to keep up the good eating and not fall off. I would love to lose 30 really quickly just to get me back to ONEDERLAND! then stop it and keep eating good.
  • workijng2befit
    Options
    that is my fear. I would hate to gain any of it back.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    that is my fear. I would hate to gain any of it back.

Then dont do a diet. Diets don't teach you how or what to eat. Also, you do not need to stick to 1200 calories... only if you are inactive. If you exercise you can eat more... many women i know eat 1700-2100 if they workout 5-6 days a week.

Simple things for success:
    1. Eat lean whole foods
    2. Lots of fruits and veggies - i am for 30-50 g of fiber
    3. Exercise should consist of weight training and minor cardio- WT will preserve muscle mass while you cut fat.. also lifting heavy will increase strength so dont be afraid of low rep high weight
    4. Fast weight loss is unsustainable... 1 lb per week is better than 4 lbs because you are limiting muscle loss
    5. Realize its ok to splurge occasionally... if you restrict too much you will binge and fail.

This is what i live by... i train hard, eat even better and i have seen better results at 2500-2800 calories than i did at 1800... fueling the body is key as is working hard. Good luck.
  • workijng2befit
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. You are so right. I think I'm just in super panic mode with my daughter getting married in Oct. I maintained my weight from 300 to 165 for 5 yrs then I turned forty and just started gaining. now 4 years later I'm back to 228 not good at all. I am a stress eater so I need to get a grip on that too.
  • beautifulbrat
    Options
    my cousin and his wife lost a lot of weight with medifast and not too long after that, they got pregnant! but i do know they continue eating healthy and all that as well
  • girlonabikedc
    girlonabikedc Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It took you four years to gain all that weight back. You want to lose it all in 10 months?

My advice? If you really want to make this a permanent change, let go of the date. Your body will lose weight at the rate it wants to, and it probably won't be on your schedule. Make small, lasting changes that focus on nourishing your body & improving your fitness. By the time October rolls around, you might not be at your "goal weight", by I guarantee you will be fitter, happier, healthier & looking better than ever.

If you are adamant about losing ALL the weight by October no matter what-then go ahead & do medifast/slim fast/(insert crash diet here). You will lose the weight & fit in that perfect dress. You will also be crabby, undernourished & ready to devour every morsel at the reception. You will gain all the weight back afterwards because you no longer have a goal in front of you, and it will probably bring some friends with it.

Your choice. Neither is wrong-it all depends on what your goal really is.
  • lyssielou1620
    lyssielou1620 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm using medifast products right now and going through the take shape for life program.
    The program shows you how to live a healthy life style through books and dvds while you eat the foods they send.
    I couldn't be happier with the program and the results so far.

I will go back to myfitnesspal and do strictly that after getting down to my goal weight to not regain it all back but the program really works!

Don't listen to the haters saying you'll be mal-nourished because you won't! I went in to my own doctor to get it approved because it seemed too good to be true and she had nothing but good things to say about the program and she had lots of success stories from other patients that have done it too. You also don't feel hungry because the meals are so full of protein and vitamins that you really never get to that starving phase like on most diets.

If you have any questions about take shape for life or anything at all let me know, I would love to help you!