Vegetarian- protein vs carbs HELP!

Options
I'm new to MFP (been a member for years but never actually signed on/did anything) but not a stranger to the weight loss struggle. I'm a vegetarian with PCOS, have at least 100 lbs to lose. My biggest question is this: how do I learn to eat enough protein and not too many carbs as a vegetarian? It seems like all I CAN eat is carb heavy food. Any suggestions? Thanks for all the help!

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a grain that has complete protein; use it instead of rice for a protein boost. Beans and soy are high in protein as well. You can buy soy crumbles that resemble ground meat to make things like chili.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and I manage to get ~30% of my calories so you have no excuse here. Go get a vegan/vegetarian protein powder and put it in some oatmeal or drink it as a protein shake.
  • JennyBoomBooms
    JennyBoomBooms Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I make chili loaded with bell peppers and crushed tomatoes, onions, and some chopped tomatoes for more texture. I put in black beans as well as red kidney, and sometimes ill throw leaf spinach in there. After it simmers for a while, it's so hearty and filling. I am not a strict vegetarian, but I cook alot of vegetable only meals. Do you eat eggs? fish? I wonder if making a sefood chili may work for you.
  • mary_bossard
    Options
    I second the quinoa & the veggie crumbles.

Also I'm a fan of the Boca brand grilled veg burgers and Fantastic World brand veg sloppy joe mix.
  • like_milk
    like_milk Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    One piece of advice is to get the most amount of protein you can from your carb-loaded food-stuffs. So check all the labels of things like bread and pasta and rice etc and buy the one with the most protein. Quinoa is the best example, beans are great too, but both still contain plenty of carbs.

You could also try eating more eggs and a low-fat greek yogurt gives you a lot of protein for very little calories.
  • Helinacoustic
    Helinacoustic Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I do use protein powders in smoothies sometimes, never thought to put it in my oatmeal!

And as far as quinoa, veggie crumbles, etc. I have tried these things in the past but I will try to make them a more frequent staple in my kitchen. Great help, much love! ❤