Bad day - how do you move on tomorrow?

Options
I've gone over by 1500 + calories, and as I have been eating less for a good few weeks, I feel physically sick. My heart is burning and I have pains in my stomach and I feel bloated and fat and euuuugh so horribly bad! I've been having these days more frequently, and I just find it so hard to pick myself up the next day and stay focus. Do you have any tips after a bad day on how to move on as I currently feel so hopeless!

Replies

• squinz
    squinz Posts: 136
    Options
    I have done this many times. Try not to beat yourself up, Change is hard and wont happen overnight. Try to figure out what made you want to eat so much? Is something worrying you, or upsetting you? Try and work through problems in a different way rather than through using food. Be kind to yourself and see tomorrow as a new day.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I once read on here that the most important meal after a binge is your next meal. Learn from it and eat your next meal the way you should. Why wait?
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    This is not a diet. It is a life style change. Either you want it or you don't. If you eat clean, give up processed food and all soda, drink water and then more water, get moving, and log everything, good things will happen to your health. It is not easy. I weigh every day. It keeps me honest. If you go over, just start again tomorrow.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Anyone of us could be in the same boat. You've taken that so important first step and know you need that change. No matter where you are with what you're eating or what you have eaten. You can change with the next meal, add nutrients and fiber. Drink some water and move. Do something fun for exercise, get up and dance go for a walk in the woods. Plan your meals and do your best to stick to it. Good luck and friend me if you like.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Get back on track. Avoid the scale for a few days or even a week until you get the bloat off. 1500 calories isn't even that much of a binge, not compared to some of mine! But it can show up as phantom pounds on the scale for days, especially if it was a lot of salty food.
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I once read on here that the most important meal after a binge is your next meal. Learn from it and eat your next meal the way you should. Why wait?

Exactly.

Don't let a bad day turn into a bad weekend. Acknowledge it, accept it, and move ahead! It happens!

Just make sure you refocus starting NOW. I used to be queen of "well, I screwed up today (Wednesday for instance), so I guess I'll restart Monday!" What ridiculous thinking. Get back at it immediately.

You can do it!
  • sterober
    Options
    Keep to your routine as best as you can. Everyone has bad days, it just happens. When you have a bad day, jump back into your healthy routine the next. If you had planned on going to the gym, GO to the gym. Make sure you drink your water and get back to your clean diet. It's tempting to want to let an unhealthy cycle continue...but you have to fight! Be as consistent as you can be and hang in there!! Best of luck to you!!
  • Lilnewfiegurl13
    Lilnewfiegurl13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    keep pushing forward even if u have to start fresh everyday! :P
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    Just start the day fresh. Plan out your meals for the entire day instead of adding food as you go along. Make sure you are eating enough. Spend a little time in the evening planning out your meals for the next day. Tell yourself you're not hungry, you're bored, drink a glass of water and find something to do (if the weather is nice, grab a book and go sit outside to read, go for a walk, etc). Look up healtier recipies for your favorite crap foods. Example: I love buffalo wings, but they are fried, so I pan-grill diced (cut into about 1" cubes) boneless/skiness chicken breasts (no dredging, just a quick spray of olive oil Pam), toss them in buffalo sauce, and serve with homemade ranch dressing (Ranch packet, skim milk, olive oil mayo, watered down a little bit because I like it thin - 2 tbs = about 70 calories). Add a couple veggie sides and the craving is met! What happened yesterday happened. Leave it in the past and have a better day today.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Realize one day isn't enough to change...................................it's an accumulation of days.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • johnjkkelly
    Options
    everything in moderation, including moderation. The next few days especially you need to sweat, so go do some cardio. Your meals should be very healthy and light, and boom your back on track.
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I take the Nike approach and JUST DO IT!

It's a new day, stop worrying about the past. And sometimes you need to ENJOY life. One bad day isn't going to kill you. If everyday is a day where you eat too much, that will.
  • calisunrise
    Options
    just forget the binge and hop back on the wagon next day.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I have been there, here are the steps.

1. Finish your little binge
    2. Wait a few hours and go to bed.
    3. Wake up tomorrow
    4. continue on with your life.

Exactly!

5. Remember this feeling the next time you're tempted to go overboard.
    6. Remember that small indulgences on a regular basis are OK. Small.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    The more you worry about it the more likely you are to fail. Yesterday is gone and won't be coming back. Focus on today, approach it with a positive, upbeat attitude, and move forward.

Don't think if it as "being on a diet", but as a positive, healthy lifestyle change.
  • theladybruh
    Options
    Drink a lot of water, do something that makes you feel good and realize that the past is the past. You cannot change it so there is no reason to go back to it (: Focus on the present.
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    one day is nothing in the scale of things. I went over by lots on friday as I had a bad day, result was iv not been that hungry this weekend so its sort of evened out.
    My thing to stop myself is to think how much exercise id have to do to burn the junk food off, and it usually stops me x
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I've gone over by 1500 + calories, and as I have been eating less for a good few weeks, I feel physically sick. My heart is burning and I have pains in my stomach and I feel bloated and fat and euuuugh so horribly bad! I've been having these days more frequently, and I just find it so hard to pick myself up the next day and stay focus. Do you have any tips after a bad day on how to move on as I currently feel so hopeless!

Don't write off the whole day, write off that one meal and get back on track with the next meal. Feeling like you have failed a whole day/ week/ month/ diet instead of counting up the number of successful meals and snacks is what keeps us quitting diets instead of eating healthy for life.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Check out Steve Siebold's free www.fatloser.com He is a world renown motivational speaker and this is his free email video weight loss program. You pick the diet, you pick the exercise. He speaks to you motivation. This helped me when I got off track just before I joined MFP.

Get rid of all of the crap in your house that you will scarf down. Only you know you best. Try to put yourself in as a disinterested 3rd party looking at you and your behavior. What would you recommend? Good luck, but we've all been there and have done it and gotten back on track.