"under her calorie goal"

Options
13»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I did minutes of exercise a week for the walking/jogging I do on 3 days and the DVD with weights I do on 3 days. I don't know - I am so confused at this point with the calories and TDEE and TDEG and BMR.... :(

Then your more accurate Katch BMR must be lower.

Just wanted to make sure you entered in total minutes a week. Since it's walking some of the time, it must not be for hours on end, so that is valid TDEG then.

If you want more descriptions of BMR/TDEE and why some of the differences you might see, read through this.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones

Just know that BMR is calories your body would like to burn daily if you slept deep all day. If it gets them. If not, something is going to be slowed down so it gets what it needs. Since it is literally energy supplied to all the cells, you can't really get it ultimately from ONLY the cells, that would be perpetual motion, and you could just stop eating and lose only fat. Which doesn't happen.
    TDEE is what your body does burn daily with ALL activity, more easily figured and expressed as a multiplier to the BMR, which is the foundation.

There are 3 different BMR formulas, Harris from 1919, Mifflin from the '80's about 5% more accurate, and Katch based on actual amount of the most metabolically active part of the body, Lean Body Mass.

The TDEE estimate is most easily done with taking average weekly activity and dividing by 7 for daily average. Or MFP method (though they don't start with BMR as foundation to stay above) where exercise is entered daily and changes your daily TDEE figure.
    There's the Harris TDEE table again from 1919, there's the non-exercise TDEE levels MFP uses, there's an '80's study the spreadsheet uses for different types of exercise and daily activity.

Then you take a deficit. MFP uses blocks of calories with you selecting potentially a wise or very unwise size. Other methods say 15%, some say 20%, of your total TDEE value, so less active means less deficit. Some use sliding scale so the less to lose the less deficit too, the spreadsheet does that method. Spreadsheet also uses fact that if you are lifting, you will retain muscle mass, so the deficit can be a tad more with no issues. If no lifting, less deficit.

So as long as you entered in the stats correctly and didn't leave something already there, like bodyfat%. And you got the Activity calculator correct with hrs of work weekly beyond a desk job type work, and exercise minutes weekly total, then the results are good.
    That's why there is a check in the activity calc as to hrs of exercise weekly, since we tend to think that way normally.
    And the TDEG says how much left to lose, to confirm you got goal weight figure correct.