Doing Regular Yoga Increases your Sensativity to Hunger

Options
Some findings about more health benefits from doing regular Yoga published in the August 2009 issue of the Journal of the American Dietetic Association.

"Researchers at Fred Hutchinson cancer research center in Seattle have found that people who do yoga on a regular basis also practice "mindful eating" and have an increased sensitivity to hunger. This could explain why they have lower BMIs than those who don't do yoga.

Researchers found no connection between other physical activities, such as walking or running, and mindful eating. Those activities lack the mind/body connection that seems to increase mindfulness. Other introspective thoughtful activities such as Tai Chi and meditation would have the same affect as yoga and would increase mindful eating, thereby also helping people to eat less and eventually lose weight."

Tom

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump..interesting info
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Hmm. I just use it to stretch after running. I know it's taught me to control my breathing during running. I never noticed it having a particular effect on my appetite. It does make me feel really relaxed and happy though.
  • tdh302
    tdh302 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It seems as if research is really in favor of Yoga for all sorts of health benefits. I only wish I liked it. I have tried it many times and absolutely hate it. Bummer. The medical facility I work for actually has it as part of a patient program and I find it difficult to restrain myself from defending patients that refuse to participate.