Would you spend $200 on a fitness bootcamp?

Options
I'm interested in this bootcamp at my local gym, but I'm on the fence. It will end up costing me about $200 total. That's $100 for the bootcamp and $100 for two months membership. Of course, during that time I would also have access to the gym, but it's a 25 minutes drive from my home so it's not exactly convenient. The bootcamp meets every Saturday from 8:00 to 10:30 for 6 weeks. You workout and get personalized fitness advice from certified trainers. What are your opinions? Should I do it?

corrected 2 minute drive to 25 minute drive

Replies

• juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    If you'll actually do it- it's worth it.

If you'll find excuses not to go- then don't.

It might just be the push (incentive is you shelled out the moolah) you need to see it through.

Good luck!
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    a 2 minute drive sounds super convenient?
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    Personally, I probably wouldn't, because I'm more interested in activities that will become habits. What would you do at the end of the bootcamp? I also think 2 1/2 hours would be too much for me all at once, so I wouldn't get the most out of it. There's also the chance that I might not be able to make all 6 sessions, which would make the other 5 quite expensive!

If really like the idea though, then I don't think $100 is over the top for 15 hours if you're getting a good, personalised service, and a programme that you can use after the course finishes. It might be worth it if you would use the gym on other days so as not to waste the other $100.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Yes I think spening 2.5 hours someplace and having access to stay longer justifies the 25 minute drive as long as you max out the amenities while you're there. Use the steam room, jacuzzi, etcetera, have lunch or smoothies afterwards and or before with new friends you make there. Make new friends there and you will have workout buddies already set up at this gym if you choose to go there afterward and get a membership.

As long as you KNOW you can afford the gas money, and time, on top of the original 200 bux I say go for it!
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i'd do it. $200 isn't bad for a class.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    If you want to and can afford it, why not? I've spent way more money on way less healthy stuff :)
  • sumnerfan
    sumnerfan Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Sorry 25 minute drive.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you didn't actually mean that a 2 minute drive was inconvenient?

I think $100 for the class is reasonable, for sure. The other $100 would only be worth it to me if I was going to use the gym to train between the boot camp classes... which you'd need to do to make actual gains. Or do some other type of training. Obviously, it also depends on how much of a financial burden $200 is to you.
  • rascallycat
    rascallycat Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I guess that depends on if you can afford it and if you will actually go there to do it. There are a lot of free workout apps that have boot camp style workouts on them,, just do that if you prefer.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I did a fitness bootcamp once - 6 weeks, $300 dollars, half hour drive from where I lived, 5 am every morning (and I was not a morning person) and it was the BEST thing I ever did for myself. That was where I first experienced keeping a food diary and drinking lots of water, built up my endurance and finally started jogging for the first time ever. I lost 20 pounds and gained so much confidence. I signed up for a second class and only ended up quitting due to a severe leg injury I sustained due to wearing the wrong shoes. (Arch support is sooooo important!) I say go for it.
  • Syndri
    Syndri Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I did a fitness bootcamp back in 2010. It cost me approx $100 for 2 x 45 minute sessions twice a week for 4 weeks. Combined with the nutrition advice they gave, I lost 16lbs and dropped a dress size and a half during the 4 week period. I continued with the eating plan after the month was up as I wanted to drop down to the next dress size, which I managed. For me, it was well worth the effort and the money Annoyed with myself that 2.5 years later, I'm back to where I was at the beginning and the lady who ran the original bootcamp no longer operates in my area!!
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't but that is just me. I vowed to myself that the only things I would try this time (This is the last time I will have a significant amount of weight to lose) are the things I can keep up on my own for life. No lotions and potions, just hard work, exercise and eating right. If you think it will put you on the right track and you have money to spend, go for it but I would definitely not in be even considering this. I need to be doing this on my own so I can learn for myself the things that work for me specifically, and that includes food and exercise. It has been a lot of experimentation for me until now and finally I am in my groove. Some people have a much easier time than I do at losing weight. Keeping it off is easy for me, it is losing that is the hard part.
  • sumnerfan
    Options
    The biggest things that are holding me back are not the money. It's the fact that the class meets once per week and that it's 25-30 minutes away. I can go use the gym on other days and I have in the past, but it cuts into my family time pretty significantly. I'm on the fence, but I need to decide soon because it starts next Saturday.
  • Candicejoy1988
    Candicejoy1988 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Well, personally i would not at this point and time for myself... but it depends on what you think you will get out of it... I don't like to exercise in large groups due to not being very coordinated :/ but 2 minutes isn't bad if you have the time... I would have to drive over 30 to get to a fitness club. I have weights and elliptical at home and then used the outdoors for my nature walks and jogs when warm. But sometimes being around other people gives us motivation... good luck with your choice!!
  • sumnerfan
    Options
    Any other thoughts?
  • amkamke
    Options
    I LOVE my fitness Boot Camp! I lost 8 lbs. & 28 inches in a 30 day Boot Camp through Major-Fitness.com. Denese Major ROCKS! DO IT!!! :-):smile:
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I would if it would give me the results I want. I'm already spending 200+ every month for my gym membership now actually
  • altinker
    altinker Posts: 173
    Options
    I work with somebody who does boot camp. She has dropped two pants sizes and loves the exercise. I think you'll be successful if you find something that you like to do.
  • sumnerfan
    Options
    I agree I need to find something I really like to do. I was hoping this would help me get more comfortable in the weight room. And of course, help me jump start my weightloss.