Eating out ... Need advice.

Just wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

With my birthday coming up it's going to be surrounded by meals out, cake and plenty alcohol. I can deal with the cakes as I'm not a cake lover really and I will take to only have maybe one or two slimline vodka tonics.

However the hardest thing is going to be the meals, I just don't know how I am going to be able to record it. Most menus in restaurants do not have a calorie content so how will I work the meals out? :-/ .... Should I just stick to the healthiest meal on the menu like a salad or should I have something 'special' and just make sure I do extra excersise to burn off the unwanted calories? However I don't want to fall off track or go over the top when my journey is just starting.

How have you worked around this when it comes to eating out?

Replies

• How many meals out are we talking about?

One? Go for it, it's your birthday, don't worry about logging. Ten? For 9 of them pick the healthiest thing that sounds good (lean protein+ vegetables) and log it the best you can.
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    If you know where you are going and have their menu available, you can choose ahead of time what you might like to have. Such as 6oz steak, brown rice and grilled veggies. that way you know where you are at for that meal and might be able to have that extra drink or piece of cake. OK with that said it is your birthday and dont stress over your consumption either...Happy birthday and enjoy!!
  • myownadvice
    myownadvice Posts: 95 Member
    A little research beforehand can help you out. Most larger restaurants have websites with nutritional guides (although it may be in fine print). Look to see what is the best choice in advance. Stay away from sauces, breading. etc. As the previous post said lean meats and veggies are your best bet. Salads can often be flooded with heavy fat dressings so make sure it's on the side if you do salad. Also, I agree with a previous post...if it's one meal, don't sweat it, enjoy. If it's several, be more cautious, eat light the rest of the day to give yourself some calorie room. Get right back to your new good habits as soon as you can and you will be fine.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    It's your birthday. Live a little ;)

And remember: no one says you have to eat the entire portion. Just eat half and take the rest home for mid-week lunches and/or dinners.
  • 1KiwiChick
    1KiwiChick Posts: 479 Member
    Enjoy your day!!! its ok to have one day off a week and eat within reason your favourite food. Just work hard for the rest of the week. Ive done this for 18months and it works. so smile and have a lovely dinner!
  • When I go out to eat at a restaurant, I try to cut the portion in half in my head and aim to eat just 1/2. I find, around here at least, the portions are just soo huge. And I totally could eat it all -- but then would have eaten about 1,500 calories!!!

Or....
    Do a longer workout that day?
    Aim for grilled rather than fried?
    Swap veggies for pasta? (I like to get chicken parm, no pasta, add veggies).
    Just enjoy the few days of gluttony!!

I don't go for salads at restaurants as I am finding the salad dressings kill the healthiness of the meal! I've seen up to 500 calories for just a dressing....yuck!

Those are my other go-to's.
  • Forgot to add....have a happy birthday!!!!!
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    If you know where you're going, study the menu ahead of time & prelog on MFP.
    I would get what I want, not the healthiest thing on the menu, but I'd adjust my intake the rest of the day & exercise to compensate.
    I might only eat part of what I order & have the rest boxed. Also, prechecking for calories might make me forego the bread basket & get dressing on the side.
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Look online ahead of time. Alot of the chain restaurants you can lookup calories.. Check out the food database here, already have some in it. Research ahead of time. If not sure eat half of what u order. But do enjoy your birthday. It isn't all about the the food make some it about the company.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Who says Dinner Out? Why not go for a pedicure, a facial, a massage with your friends! Go play miniature golf, the park & play frisbee, bike riding, some hiking....something else??? This year make a different change? You are just starting your journey into a healthier lifestyle....and so very young! Good for you! Then after all the fun *day* stuff, eat a healthy dinner at home & go out dancing!! How fun would that be!! Have a happy birthday! :)
  • kat5556
    kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
    Like the others have said - look online before you go. Most places have their menu's nutritional values posted. If you're going somewhere that doesn't then order grilled chicken or fish or a 5-6 oz lean steak if you're a meat eater. Get you dressing on the side if you have a salad and have vegetables for your side. You can do this. It's all about making good choices and if you decide to splurge, that's okay too, just eat really good and workout a bit extra the next few days.

It's a life style change - you can do it!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    If you don't want to eat cake, are happy not to drink and are worried about the calories in the meal why is that how you are celebrating? Can't you say to people what you would like, be that one large meal out or several small get togethers not involving food? I always have alcohol but never cake for my birthday because my family and friends know what I like.
  • klymt918
    klymt918 Posts: 15 Member
    I love eating out, and I have a few rules that I stick to so that I can enjoy myself but not overindulge! So most resturants let you pick a side with your meal and that is key. I usually order whatever I feel like, but when ordering a side to go with my meal I would choose fresh veggies or a salad with dip on the side. When your meal comes, ask for a to-go container, place half of your entree in the container immediately, minus your sides. What was once a 1000 calorie entree, is now a 500 calorie entree as well as a yummy lunch/dinner for the next day! Your sides, (if you order veggies or a salad), are basically no calories, but will help to fill you up so you don't feel like you are depriving yourself.

In terms of alcohol, the smartest drink you could order if you plan on drinking in terms of calories is a vodka with a diet soda of some sort, and then a lime or lemon wedge for some extra flavour. You would be looking at 80-100 calories per drink.

Hope this helps!
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    I agree with the theory that if it's only one meal DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT! It's your birthday! This is how LIFE goes. Get back on track the next morning and move along.
  • If you're looking for the nutritional information from a restaurant you're planning to eat at, ask your server for more information. Sometimes they have a lighter choices menu (such as Chili's has a lighter choices section). You may want to look online for nutritional information at the restaurant you're going to eat at. Therefore you're going to be able to make your smart choice before you get there to the restaurant.
  • sqshyfsh
    sqshyfsh Posts: 8 Member
    I try to split meals with friends when I go out to eat. Even when I take food home, I find myself wanting to munch on it late at night. :( But when I split the meal it limits my intake, but I still get to enjoy the food and time with friends.

I agree with the above sentiment, try not to worry about it and just enjoy! Stressing out about situations often sets us up for failure. Enjoy yourself and move forward knowing it was a treat, not how you live your life! I am just learning how to make this transition myself, and I think having a non-restrictive attitude has been the best step I have taken. Whenever I try to force myself to follow restrictions, I ultimately fail.

Happy Birthday!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    I eat out all the time ......... appetizer is usually a cup of broth-based soup or a salad with balsamic ........ then I order protein, forget the starch, and double or triple up on veg ....... and I seldom get dessert, but will take a bite of my husband's if it really looks good !

One of the biggest problems with eating out is all the sodium ...... it's mindboggling ...... so I drink plenty of water afterwards to flush it out of my system.

Best of luck & have a happy birthday :drinker:
  • Thank you for your imput everyone :)

I will certainly be checking out places online to see if they have any nutrition/calorie information and will make sure I look towards the protein side of things, after all I do like a nice bit of steak or chicken breast. Unfortunately over here we do not have 'to go' containers so thats out the window :(

It will only be 2 meals that I go out for, my other half is taking me for a romantic celebratory meal and then I will be going with family a few days later. I would generally suggest doing other things however the weather is not great here and there's hardly many things to do inside apart from the cinema's, which in all honesty I don't want to be sat in silence on my birthday. Sure I could go for a pedicure but what about the male members of the party? after all my family tend to get together for birthdays so going for a meal is something everyone could be involved in and that way we can all chat together.

I will keep in mind your comments for when I go out for meals in future, at the moment it's just a case of getting use to MFP and how I can still eat tasty food without going OTT on calories, etc.