Does anyone measure success by clothing size?

Options
I am not one to rely on the scale since it fluctuates so much. I try to go by my clothing sizes. When I started, I was in a tight sz 20. Now I'm in a comfy size 14. Ideally I'd love to be a 9 or 10 one day.

I was just wondering if others are doing the same?

Replies

• jsmith2377
    jsmith2377 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Before baby number two I was a comfortable size 8. I'm looking to get back there or smaller. I feel like it's a good day when I put on clothes and they are little looser.
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!! In addition to weight loss I am equally impressed with reduction in clothes size. When I started MFP and this journey I was a men's size 50 and I am now down to a size 40/41.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I am not one to rely on the scale since it fluctuates so much. I try to go by my clothing sizes.

Most of my clothes are second hand/vintage and are from all around the world (a size 10UK is different to a 10Nz or US) - so I have sizes 8-18 and all in between in my wardrobe!

Scales can vary pretty wildly too.

I go by my bust, waist and hip measurements and body fat percentage.
  • NattieJoan
    Options
    I'm measuring it by everything really.
    Clothes size, weight, measurements (:
    I'm wanting to get down to either a UK size 10, 9 stone or 70cm waist. Whatever comes first (:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    me.

the scale is too unreliable. i'm too unreliable with a tape measure since it's not always guaranteed that i'm measuring in the same place. i really can't tell by the mirror since i always think i look the same.

so clothes it is. i specifically go with jeans. i started out in a too tight size 22 fat store jeans (which means they probably should have been a 24 or 26 :laugh: ) and i'm now comfortable in an express size 14 jeans.

my final goal is a express size 6 . i've been thinking about buying the size 6 now and try getting those on as a monthly measure to track progress
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! In fact, the snowpants I keep up at my mothers up in the mtns were super tight (to the point of being a bit uncomfortable) over christmas break and the week after… we were up this weekend for some nordic skiing, and, while still snug, they fit MUCH better and weren't uncomfortable!!!

I count that as a victory, for sure.
  • Jazzercies
    Options
    Yes! I consider this to be a good measure of my fitness and health. Appearance isn't most important, but maintaining clothing size is very important. The scale can fluctuate +/- by 5 pounds, but I prefer to measure my success on how my clothes fit. Besides, I hate to shop, so as long as I don't have to buy a bigger size, I am happy!!
  • 1KiwiChick
    1KiwiChick Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    yes definitley!! when i started i was a size 24 -26 and was only just able to shop in the larger sz 14 - 24 shops!!! i now can still only just shop in them but at the other end as im sz 14 ! never thought id see the day i could walk past those shops and enter the nice shops which dont charge the earth and im not even the biggest size!!!!!
  • kducotey
    kducotey Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes! I think its better to measure success by clothing size and not the scale. If your clothing size goes down it really shows success. For example, when I weigh myself, the lbs dont always change. But, I know I have lost body fat and have put on muscle.
    So I think measuring by clothing size is a lot truer and more reliable
  • exquisitecadavre
    Options
    I definitely go by clothes. Last year I had started exercising and strength training and while I didn't lose weight I went from a 24 to a 22 in Lane Bryant pants.

Also, as other said, the scale fluctuates wildly, so while I do look at that, clothes offer me more substantial pleasure.; =]
  • projektai
    projektai Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I do the same!
    I used to be tight in a size 14, and now I'm just a bit snug in a size 6.
    Sweet, sweet success. Once I fit properly in my size 6, I'll be happy.
  • belizsera
    belizsera Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Its the only way I measure success. I don't own a scale. Tape measure and clothes.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    yup! I honestly have no clue as to what weight my ultimate goal is because while I used to be smaller I was less fit so I had more fat and less muscle, I know that I will be happy to be back in my size 8' s and I suspect that I'll me about 140-145 by then. Before I started lifting I was 135 in my size 8's.
  • Careygirl1968
    Careygirl1968 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing, I had a certain brand and style of jeans that I followed down every size, until they quit making them. (Then I started an eBay search!) When I started I was in a 22W, and the last pair I owned was a 14 regular. I think it's a great gauge, if you stick with the same brand like that. Otherwise, it can be frustrating. I'm a 10 in jeans, and 12 in dress pants, and a 14 in a dress. But I have everything in my closet from XS (which totally has to be mislabled - but still!) to an XL.
  • Melanie2610
    Options
    I think that gauging by clothing size is the best way to go. Its common knowlege the muscle is heavier than fat so if you exercise and covert fat to muscle then the scales will disappoint you. But in saying that, I still think you need to weigh yourself so you can keep on track to avoid the foods that are bad for you.
    I do not always practice what I preach by the way LOL :happy:

I am not one to rely on the scale since it fluctuates so much. I try to go by my clothing sizes. When I started, I was in a tight sz 20. Now I'm in a comfy size 14. Ideally I'd love to be a 9 or 10 one day.