1 liter of water first thing in the morning to detoxify???

Options
***WARNING--THIS POST TALKS ABOUT BOWEL MOVEMENTS***

I saw a documentary called "Food Matters", it's about eating healthier, and the kinds of toxins that get into our bodes, stuff like that. They mention a sort of water detox at about 46 mins into it. Now, the guy who's talking suggests to start your day with water. He said to drink a liter of water before eating or drinking anything else. The point of this is to expel toxins as quickly as possible through our bowels instead of allowing them to go through our skin through sweat. He also claimed his cousin, who lost 150lbs, did this and actually lost 15lbs in one day, having 12 bowel movements a day. I know, that sounds excessive, lol. Well, I drank 1 liter of water this morning before eating my oatmeal or drinking my morning coffee, and my stomach instantly began to hurt. I felt terrible, nauseous, then my stomach began to cramp really bad. It subsided after a few minutes, so I ate my oatmeal, never did get to my coffee though because after eating my oatmeal I had to go straight to the bathroom. After two bowel movements, spread apart by maybe 30 mins or so, I now feel so much better. I literally felt like I had the stomach flu or something. I wasn't prepared for the "sick" feeling that I got from just drinking water. I usually drink about 80-90 oz of water a day, but I have never drank it first thing in the morning, and it's usually only 1 pint at a time. I know water is good for you, but I never knew it could be used in this capacity to detoxify your body. Anyone else doing this? Any thoughts about this?

Replies

• Strength2Succeed
    Strength2Succeed Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Wow im curious to know the thoughts too. Never heard of this before.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Unless you switched your late night snack for rat poison, you have no "toxins" in your body that you need to get rid of....
    Drinking a liter of water first thing in the morning will probably give you a tummy ache and might make you sick...
    Your body gets rid of whatever "toxins" it accumulates all on its own - you are equipped with everything you need for that...

And having 12 bowel movements in one day might actually land you in hospital with dehidration issues - not sure what he ate to expell 15lbs in a day.....
  • DiannaDC
    DiannaDC Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    When I remember to do it before coffee, yes I do. Like you I had to go to the bathroom shortly after. I started doing it because I heard it jump starts your body and that's what I wanted. I am going to try to remember to do it tomorrow. I try to sleep with the water bottle full of water next to my bed to drink it in the morning, however, in the middle of the night I get thirsty....LOL
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I like to drink water first thing in the morning, but usually only 8-16 oz. I find im a little dehyrated every morning so thats why I do it
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I've never heard this in particular, but I've heard of having a pint of warm lemon water in the morning for the same purpose. I will often drink a pint of cold water along with my coffee, which is "detox" enough.

I'm not sure about the whole "detox" thing. It seems the term is tossed around without much meaning attached to it. The liver and kidneys are busy detoxifying 24/7; that's their job.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I drink 56 oz of water or green tea a day. I drink about a 1/3 of it in the morning and the rest though out the day. I have heard drinking water cuts you appetite.
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    if it sounds CRAZY it usually is CRAZY
  • LeRevCooper
    Options
    I think I'll try this tomorrow.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Pure unadulterated bull****.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm all for drinking water but I don't believe you are "detoxifying" and I am not aware of any advantage there is in turbo-pooping.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Additionally, I would generally caution people against trusting information in documentaries as "fact".
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Drink when you're thirsty.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    This sounds a bit ridiculous.

The only thing your going to get from pooping 15 times is a sore *kitten*
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    My coworker started this over the last couple of weeks after watching the same documentary... she hates it and wants instant results. Like others have said, drink when you're thirsty. If it happens to be in the morning, so be it.

But like I told her, if you're not seeing results you want and feeling sick, that may not be the best plan for ya.

Good luck! :drinker:
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I get the same results from drinking my 1-3 cups of coffee in the morning, does wonders for moving things along!
  • FaceLikeFlint
    Options
    1- 8oz cup of hot water with a half of fresh squeezed lemon first thing in the morning is another method of cleansing toxins from the body. I do not know if water first thing in the morning will help you to loose as much weight as you heard, but lemon water in the morning and cleansing vegetables through the day will expedite weight loss.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    Food Matters. Yeah, another Netflix one-sided "documentary"/entertainment. A lot of those food documentaries have all kinds of weird stuff in them and extremist views. Like his brother having 12 bowel movements in one day. That's when I'd be hitting the "up" button on my ROKU.

I drink 24 ounces of water first thing in the morning. Whats a liter? 32 ounces or thereabouts? I just do it because I haven't had any for 12-14 hours and I'm thirsty.
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I know nothing about "toxins" but I've heard that drinking a glass of water before you go to bed helps keep your skin clear.
    I always wake up thirsty from not drinking anything while sleeping so I drink water. I feel less groggy afterwards. I think the idea behind "toxins" is that drinking enough water helps your kidneys and such work well? But I wouldn't worry about them too much. Staying hydrated is good. If drinking water when you get up helps you feel better, do it. I don't think a full liter is necessary, though.
  • Grandon16
    Options
    This made me lol side steel Love your responses I agree
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Sounds like quackery.

I drink a 12oz glass of water first thing in the morning because I am thirsty. Just think: you have been evaporating water for 8 hours. You wouldn't go 8 straight hours without drinking any water at all during the day, right? So drink some water first thing in the morning. But do it to satisfy your thirst, not for some pseudoscientific reasons.

Also, one liter is too much for most people. Your stomach can hold about 1.5 liters comfortably. If you down that much water in one gulp, you'll make yourself sick.