Shirataki Noodles - Anyone try?

Options
I just heard about shirataki noodles. Low-carb (or no-carb) pasta!! Anyone ever try them? Wondering about taste, texture, etc. and maybe your favorite recipes. Also, where do you buy them? Excited to learn more, thanks!!

Replies

• aktx
    aktx Posts: 2
    Options
    I have tried them. I prepared them as directed. It takes a while to rinse them. They have a weird texture. It's like eating squid raw or something. I would not buy them again. For me, it was not a fit. I hope that helps. I much prefer spaghetti squash instead. I'm a low carber, too.
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I've had them. They don't really taste like anything, but I enjoy them in Asian style dishes where soy sauce can be used. However, I would not suggest using them in Italian dishes. I'd much rather have spaghetti squash though.
  • marnieinMB
    marnieinMB Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I liked them. I rinsed them well then put them in the microwave for maybe 30 seconds, this helped to get rid of the smell.

Then I would sautee them with veggies and lots of seasoning.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I get the white ones at the commissary but I haven't been able to find them at any normal grocery stores. You can buy them online for pretty cheap but you normally have to get them in bulk. They don't need to be cooked but you to need to rinse them very thoroughly. They don't have any flavor but absorb them well in things like Thai or Chinese sauces. They are not recommended for Italian dishes. The texture is along the lines of overcooked pasta, nothing really substantial. I like them in stir fries or Pad Thai or just with steamed vegetables and peanut sauce.

You might be able to find them at your local Asian market. I keep forgetting to check mine.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    It took me awhile to find them and I was so excited to try them. I really wanted to love them because I miss my pasta. Pasta bloats my stomach so I have to avoid it now. The noodles that I found had a bit of tofu in them and they were 40 kcals per serving. The taste was fine but I couldn't get over the texture of them. It was like eating a thin elastic bands. I ended up throwing out the second pack I bought because I just couldn't enjoy them :frown:
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    Yes, heard of them. Great in Asian dishes.

But...I read this before I tried them, and I am SOOOOO glad that I did.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/667310-let-s-talk-about-shirataki-noodles-the-continuation

Lots of questions answered--in a humorous way. I would definitely try the dry-fried way.
  • TheKoren
    TheKoren Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks Lesa!! Tons of good info here.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Finally got brave enough to try them today. Won't be having them again.
  • TheKoren
    TheKoren Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I did try them, only once. I did the dry-frying method. They weren't bad, but not really good either. Eh. If I'm absolutely losing my head over a pasta craving, they might do in a pinch, but....eh.