Change of plan?

For the past 4 months or so I have had a 1200 calorie goal and I've been burning 600 - 700 calories 5 days a week and netting around 600 - 800 calories, with a few cheat days... I'm 5ft 3in and 111lbs and I've been doing complete cardio. (I know I shouldn't...) My exercise routine consists of the elliptical and the treadmill and I'm getting bored to death. SO if I go to the gym and use different equipment and burn around 400 calories and then eat my 1200 plus my exercise calories back will I gain weight? Basically I want to tone up and build muscle but I have no idea how. Advice?

Replies

• I swear no one ever replies to my posts haha

lonely
  • Cese27
    Cese27 Posts: 626 Member
    You have answered you're own question,you know you shouldn't be doing just cardio if you want to tone yet you still do it.time to hit the weights
  • yay thank you for replying! I just need to pluck up the courage to go downstairs with all the men and use the weight haha oh no
  • Cese27
    Cese27 Posts: 626 Member
    I'm sure u will be grand
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    yay thank you for replying! I just need to pluck up the courage to go downstairs with all the men and use the weight haha oh no

Once they see you working HARD and if you smile and chat a little they are generally welcoming and respectful. Take a BodyPump or similar class or have a couple of sessions with a trainer to learn correct technique.
  • jenmarie2012
    jenmarie2012 Posts: 180 Member
    Funny because I am in the same boat. Lost the weight I wanted too now I want to tone but have no clue where to start. Like you just lots of guys by weight area so I usually pass on through and go upstairs to do the usual elliptical and treadmill which gets very boring! :yawn: I think we jus have to get to it and hit those weights. Going to send you a friend req.
  • kfesta52
    kfesta52 Posts: 98 Member
    For the past 4 months or so I have had a 1200 calorie goal and I've been burning 600 - 700 calories 5 days a week and netting around 600 - 800 calories, with a few cheat days... I'm 5ft 3in and 111lbs and I've been doing complete cardio. (I know I shouldn't...) My exercise routine consists of the elliptical and the treadmill and I'm getting bored to death. SO if I go to the gym and use different equipment and burn around 400 calories and then eat my 1200 plus my exercise calories back will I gain weight? Basically I want to tone up and build muscle but I have no idea how. Advice?
    You can (and should) eat way more than you're eating! I'm 5 foot not-quite 1 (about 105), and though I probably lost eating fewer calories than I should have, now that I'm maintaining I've been eating between 1,700 and 2,200 per day with no problem. I actually continued to lose weight when I switched to maintenance as I tried to figure out how much I could eat and not regain, and I'm still trying to keep from losing to some extent, even at an average of about. 2,000 per day. I'm pretty active, and I started trying to do more strength training a few months ago as well (mostly at home), and have had great results. You really need to fuel your body properly when you weight train, or your body won't have anything extra to use to build muscle! Definitely eat exercise cals back, and think about going higher. Search the threads for "In Place of a Road Map 2.0", and start there figuring out how much you should be eating. Good luck!
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    My gym has a lot of areas where us woman can lift weights. There is a room where I refer to the "big boys" do lifting and it really is very intimidating. I have gone in there and I'm never asked to leave. I don't get glares to leave. They are so into their own lifting I don't think they mind as long as I don't get in their way.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    if you are only 111lbs, are you sure your burns are right?? You have been doing cardio ONLY for some time, and your body has probably become more efficient, therefore, you're burning less calories than you may think. do you get your counts from an hrm? and if you want to be skinny fat, then keep doing cardio. otherwise, get your butt on the weights. I don't think you need to lose weight because you sound super small as is... probably too small IMO.
  • uum well, I'd recommend using a TDEE calculator and eating that amount...not at a deficit at all. You're already on the thinner side and you're not going to build much without at least eating at maintenance.
  • Thank you very much my lovelies for replying! It's really cleared things up. One question, when I start eating more will I put weight on?