Age and burning calories

Options
This may be a stupid question. But do you burn more calories being bigger and older or smaller and younger? My sister wears one of those heart rate monitors and she is the smaller and younger of us and I was just wondering can I go off of her calories burned or not? note we do work out at the same intesity.

Replies

• kelli_panzera
    Options
    The heavier you are, the more calories you burn. If you are larger, it's definitely different. The same workout I was doing 30 pounds ago would burn around 450 per 40 minutes. Now its around 300. Sorry I can't be more help. It depends on so many different things, Age, resting heart rate, working out heart rate, time in the zone...
  • kmu1971
    kmu1971 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    For the most part, calories expended in an aerobic activity depends on body weight and the intensity of the activity. If you and someone else were doing the exact same activity, you could theoretically take the smaller person's total, divide that by that person's body wt in kg to determine calories/kg, and multiply that product by YOUR wt in kg and take that total. It would be a pretty rough approximation and would be dependent on how accurate the other person's setup was--I'm not sure the number would be any more accurate than a rough estimate taken either from the machine readout or one of the tables on MFP.