OK; What's going on?

Options
I started MFP three weeks ago (almost) after lossing weight by restricting calories and working out. I didn't always eat back my workout calories, but probably did most of the time... Days I didn't workout I was miserable since my calorie level was low (aprox 1500).

Since starting MFP I lost 1.8 lbs. week 1; gained back 1.2 week 2; and as of this morning (day 3 of week 3) I'm still even but I feel like I've gained.

After losing about 12 lbs by restricting and the additional 2 while on MFP I feel more energized and have been working out (mostly cardio) more intensely and have added a 6th day to increase my activity so I can enjoy the food without the guilt and going over my calories for the day.

Most days I am slightly under my caloires, probably less than 100 under; never over my fat; never over my carbs; always over my protein and sodium. Sodium is the hardest thing for me to control. I always drink at least the 8 glasses of water, plus tea, coffee and flavored water ( that I don't count) so fluid retention should not be a problem.

What the hack is going on? Ideas? Should I just stick with it (eating all my workout calories back) or restrict to a lower level even with burning 600 - 700 additional calories when I workout?

Let me know. I need the support... or a new plan...

Replies

• kelli_panzera
    Options
    Wow, for a guy 1500 is pretty darn low. I'm not sure what kind of calories you were consuming before, but I really think it's too low. Especially if you're working out hard 6 days a week. Try upping your calories some. 1650/1700. Really whit your exercise your body might just be hanging on and thinking you're trying to starve it. Don't give up! But don't be afraid to try different things as we all have had our successes doing it different ways. Keep your chin up!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to lose 2 lbs/week? I'm guessing so because of how low your caloric intake is set to. I'm a 5'3" female and my calories are at 1400/day. Of course, I'm only set to lose a half pound/week. Maybe you are trying to lose too fast. It doesn't work for everyone--especially if you don't have that much to lose.
  • Kmill217
    Kmill217 Posts: 204
    Options
    Listen to your body. It depends in which manner your eating all your calories. I don't know the timing in which you are giving your body some nutrition. Just remember spreading out calories throughout the day is key.

I always answer questions with what would I do?

I would like at the assortments of foods I was eating. And answer the most obvious question: Even though these foods are keeping me under my calorie count, are they conducive to weight loss and are they providing my body with the best nutrition possible?

It sounds like you have a grasp with what you doing, so I don't doubt your judgement. Sometimes these questions are asked so that it makes it easier to figure out what is really going on.

To me, if you are eating a lot of sodium (that tells me) your eating a lot of fatty meats, or canned goods.

Listen to your body though. If you are really hard at it, and your eating clean- it'll tell you when you need to add more/less.

Let me know if I can help further.