Fitbit question

Options
I just got my fitbit yesterday. I'm going to go to hot power yoga this evening. Should I wear my fitbit during yoga? I'm asking because yoga doesn't count as steps or stairs.

I've worn my HRM to hot yoga and it comes out to 317 cals burned in an hour. I know if wearing the fitbit, you shouldn't double-dip on an exercise. What is more accurate? Logging the calories manually, or letting my fitbit count them for me?

Opinions?

Replies

• aud085
    aud085 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am waiting for my fitbit to come in the mail. I thought you should wear it during all exercise not just walking. Why do say it would be double counting the calories? just curious.
  • Jiggle_all_the_way
    Jiggle_all_the_way Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If my fitbit is logging the exercise, and then I manually log the exercise then that's counting the same exercise twice. But of course, I want to log the greater calorie count of the two.

I guess I'll wear my fitbit and see how many calories it logs for yoga today. Then I'll make the decision. I'll keep you posted. :-)
  • mtbchk
    mtbchk Posts: 22
    Options
    I wear my Fitbit all the time, and I wear my HRM for "real exercise" (along with the Fitbit). If you go to the Fitbit website, you can add an activity and its calorie burn. It will overwrite the activity that the fitbit recorded during that time and will "correct" the caloric burn. I find it very useful when I do activities like cycling that aren't measured very well with the Fitbit.

To me, the Fitbit is a tool to keep me mindful of moving more throughout the day. The HRM is a tool to track exercise. At least, that's my theory. They are both great tools with different functions.
  • RocknnRobin
    RocknnRobin Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've only had my fitbit since Christmas--and I'm still gauging how well it estimates my calorie burn. So I do a lot of tracking and comparing activities with apps on my phone and MFP activity logs. It seems pretty accurate to me thus far. Wore mine to yoga as well, (but not hot yoga). It could tell I was active the whole time.
  • MVarghese418
    MVarghese418 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster who wears the HRM or the fitbit depending on the exercise. I have had a fitbit for almost a year know (with a three month break when it broke before fitbit sent me a new one). I found the HRM helps me gauge my intensity level when working out and it gives me better, more current information than the fitbit.
  • Jiggle_all_the_way
    Jiggle_all_the_way Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. That makes sense. Actually, the Fitbit reporting and the manual reporting was pretty close.
  • Alwaysnancy
    Alwaysnancy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have a garmin with a heart rate monitor and have had the fitbit one week. I find the garmin gives a higher calorie expenditure and I also found today that when we went out snowshoeing my garmin with gps said we went 2.75 kms and the fitbit was about 2.3. So i think the gps is a bit more accurate. I was wondering though if it's okay to take the fitbit into a hot yoga class. Is the heat and humidity bad for it...that was my only worry.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I doubt the heat and humidity are bad for it but it also will not do anything of use being there so why bother. It doesn't track anything like yoga or any sort of resistance exercise.

GPS will always be more accurate on distance than a Fitbit. It just does your user-input stride length times your step count. If you didn't input a stride, it uses defaults. It's a rough estimate.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You can probably link your Fitbit & HRM accounts:
    http://www.fitbit.com/apps

MFP has a "Fitbit Users" group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users