Core Strengthening (no plank or push-ups allowed

Options
Hello all,

I am just getting back into doing more intense workouts after a really bad shoulder/back injury. (Yes, I am in the clear to exercise but have been told to take it slow & ease back in.)

I seem ok with floor work where i am laying on my back, but push ups & plank moves are just too much for me right now. I tried them out and I can do them, but for fear of re-injury to my shoulder I would like to avoid them for the time being......Unfortunately most of the videos i have purchased recently have a ton of plank moves and/or pushups in them.

Right now I improvise by substituting standing knee-to-elbow crunches or leg kicks. What I would like to know is if anyone has any other suggestions for some really effective, challenging core strengthening moves that do not work the shoulder area heavily.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    just let your shoulders heal. all of the best core strengthening exercises (including squats, deadlifts and pullups) all involve the shoulder joint directly or for stability

ask me how i know? a few weeks ago i tweaked an old shoulder injury and could barely move my arm and had to put a hold on all the lifting, even the lower body stuff since they also involve shoulders
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    If you have a bad back, be wary of crunches. Every time you crunch, you compress the spine.

Regular old abdominal bracing is just as good and doesn't compress the spine. This also gets your transverse abdominis, which is very important to keep strong if you have back issues. It can be easy or hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZPMhtcdyDM (this has some basic stuff that you can skip if a basic brace is very easy for you)

Other alternatives are supermans if extending doesn't bother your back (you can do these with your arms at your sides so you don't bug your shoulder).

Extensions on an exercise ball might work, too, since you don't have to engage your shoulder.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/exercises.asp?exercise=17

FWIW, I got ripped after back surgery doing all body weight exercises. Do not think that you can't benefit from them!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I am just getting back into doing more intense workouts after a really bad shoulder/back injury. (Yes, I am in the clear to exercise but have been told to take it slow & ease back in.)

I seem ok with floor work where i am laying on my back, but push ups & plank moves are just too much for me right now. I tried them out and I can do them, but for fear of re-injury to my shoulder I would like to avoid them for the time being......Unfortunately most of the videos i have purchased recently have a ton of plank moves and/or pushups in them.

Right now I improvise by substituting standing knee-to-elbow crunches or leg kicks. What I would like to know is if anyone has any other suggestions for some really effective, challenging core strengthening moves that do not work the shoulder area heavily.

Thanks in advance!
    can you do plank on your knees? you can usually do the same sort of moves on your knees as your toes, and you can still get a great core workout.

additionally, you can sit on the floor with your knees up and pick up a weight (light to start) and slowly twist from side to side while holding the weight. when you feel stronger up the weight, when you feel even stronger try and lift your feet off the floor and drop the weight back down a bit. these guys are great!
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    This http://www.gaiam.com/pilates-for-weight-loss-dvd/91-0201,default,pd.html

Skip anything that might hurt your back, everything done is done Sloooooooooooow, so you can ease up or lower your level as you need to, and ramp it up when you are ready. There are 3 people, the instructor, someone doing more advanced versions in the back and someone doing it as a beginner.

I have back issues, and shoulder and neck issues, and I can do this.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    If you have a bad back, be wary of crunches. Every time you crunch, you compress the spine.

Regular old abdominal bracing is just as good and doesn't compress the spine. This also gets your transverse abdominis, which is very important to keep strong if you have back issues. It can be easy or hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZPMhtcdyDM (this has some basic stuff that you can skip if a basic brace is very easy for you)

Other alternatives are supermans if extending doesn't bother your back (you can do these with your arms at your sides so you don't bug your shoulder).

Extensions on an exercise ball might work, too, since you don't have to engage your shoulder.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/exercises.asp?exercise=17

FWIW, I got ripped after back surgery doing all body weight exercises. Do not think that you can't benefit from them!

oooh, good point-i'll be careful about the crunches.

I did just buy an exercise ball, i will try the extensions. thanks!
  • marvybells
    Options
    [/quote]
    can you do plank on your knees? you can usually do the same sort of moves on your knees as your toes, and you can still get a great core workout.

additionally, you can sit on the floor with your knees up and pick up a weight (light to start) and slowly twist from side to side while holding the weight. when you feel stronger up the weight, when you feel even stronger try and lift your feet off the floor and drop the weight back down a bit. these guys are great!
    [/quote]

So far I have felt fine after leg kicks, squats & crunches, but I'm not ready to progress to the plank moves or push-ups yet, even if they are on the knees. I'm afraid it will be too much stress on upper body for right now.
  • marvybells
    Options
    This http://www.gaiam.com/pilates-for-weight-loss-dvd/91-0201,default,pd.html

Skip anything that might hurt your back, everything done is done Sloooooooooooow, so you can ease up or lower your level as you need to, and ramp it up when you are ready. There are 3 people, the instructor, someone doing more advanced versions in the back and someone doing it as a beginner.

I have back issues, and shoulder and neck issues, and I can do this.

thanks, i'll see if i can find a sample clip of the video online to see what it's all about