PCOS & Low Carbs diet

Options
Hey everyone. So here goes:
I was diagnosed with PCOS a few years ago after going back and forth to the hospital and back then I was about 215 lbs (my heaviest by far) I had ultrasounds blood tests etc and was told I had PCOS but they did not specify how far advanced my PCOS was at and at what level it was etc. They didnt give me any information on how to help etc so therefore I had to do the research myself about it... anyway now im 187 lbs have lost just over a stone since July '12 but now am looking to go on a low-carb diet which I have heard will help to subside the symptoms of PCOS as well as weight loss, therefore I was wondering does a low-carb diet really help people who suffer from PCOS? & is there any chance someone could give me a brief example of their daily menu from breakfast through until dinner and snack to help me.
This would be thoroughly appreciated. Thank You.

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    It helps most people but not all. I have PCOS and lower carb never really helped me - just made me cranky. If you want to try it, look up a low glycemic index diet. It balances carbs and protein and limits how many carbs you eat at once - but you can still eat carbs.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Can't you go back to your doctor and get more advice on managing your condition? Be careful getting advice on treating the symptoms of a medical condition from (mostly) unqualified people on a forum, too many low carbers on here are not eating a balanced diet due to not researching it properly.

There are certain nutrient deficiencies associated with PCOS, insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes so you don't want to cause or worsen that. You might be best starting low glycaemic index, moderating servings of starchy carbs, generally eating a more nutrient dense diet, maybe joining a PCOS group on MFP.
  • jendbp81
    jendbp81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have been meeting with a doctor and nutritionist for PCOS. What the nutritionist told me was in order loose weight and keep my PCOS in control, I would need to eat between 30g-45g of carbs for each meal. And eat 15g of carbs for two snacks a day. I try to keep each meal between 300-400 calories. Since I started watching my carbs, the weight has melted off!!

For Breakfast every morning I have a piece of whole wheat toast with a tablespoon of peanut butter and coffee
    For Lunch I have a salad with a ton of veggies and some turkey for protein.
    For Dinner I try to have some chicken or fish with a big salad (on a good day!)

Stay away from refined sugars, if you are going to eat grains eat whole wheat.