BMR

Options
2»

Replies

• foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    yes foley, but you also say you should never go below your BMR, which is not always true.

If a person is truly sedentary (sometimes due to health/injury issues) does this mean they can never lose weight? Of course not.

Whils I would certainly advise that most people should incorporate regular exercise into their lives to raise their TDEE, it is not going to kill you to dip below your BMR (as long as its not too far below or for too long in duration). Note that more significantly overweight people will sustain this level of caloric restriction much better than leaner people.

If you look at my last post, I said I would not recommend anyone do it long term. And I would not. There are so many on here that only want to lose 10 pounds or so, but eat well below their BMR. So I usually recommend not eating below. That's my story....sticking to it.
  • ladiablo
    ladiablo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I told MFP 2 lbs/week and it gave me 1200 calories. Then I read that recommended thread about TDEE and BMR, calculated my body fat, and was given a "light activity" bmr of 2031 or so. I subtracted the recommended 20% to find the calories I should be eating and it's 1613... so I should be getting at least 1613 of healthy, whole foods in my macros for healthiest weight loss, right?

No. You subtract 20% from your TDEE not your BMR.

Psh, words, words! TDEE is what I meant ;)
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Just stick with one value, you don't to worry about BMR. Just focus on the value MFP gives

Not true. You should worry about your BMR.

BMR doesn't matter, it changes as you lose weight, IT IS ALWAYS CHANGING. I have eaten below my BMR many times, and i know many others who have too.

Yes it does change. But MFP often has people eating below their BMR often. I have eaten below my BMR, which of course is an estimate unless you have it tested. But I would not tell anyone to do it long term.

Not going to quote you on the BMR/TDEE thing above. You're right, I misread.

What will happen if you eat below your BMR?

I feel like I owe you an answer so you don't think I am just spouting stuff I have read on here. I have had a boring weekend, so I have been in the forums a lot. I can't tell you how many young women I have come across who have little to lose in the grand scheme of things, but are eating 1200 calories or below. Some don't even need to lose weight, but that is a totally different post. Longer term, they risk losing lean body mass because they are not even that heavy. Add to that the fact that most of the posters, obese or not, don't have to eat this low, but will still lose weight. Trying to stay at this low level can lead to binging and flat out giving up. If I tell people to eat at their BMR, maybe it will make a difference in their success.

I started my journey below my BMR because I was on WW and didn't eat many free fruits and veggies. But I kept up in the forums and realized there was another way. So I stand by my advice. You do not have to be hungry. And you guys get more calories :). I am not telling anyone anything I don't believe. I follow it myself the vast majority of the time.