My salad secret - broccoli slaw

Options
questionablemethods
questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
I'm not a big fan of lettuce most of the time. Sometimes I crave a nice salad from really fresh spring greens, but they seem to be hard to keep good in the fridge for long, so they don't make it into my rotation very often. However, last summer I got turned onto "broccoli slaw". You can often find bags of it in the produce section, but I just make my own by chopping raw broccoli--stalks and all--very finely. Gives a nice crunch and I think it makes a great base for a salad.

Today for lunch I had a chopped broccoli salad (about 2 cups) with 4 oz of grilled tuna, some chopped red onion, 1/4 cup of dried cranberries and a light dressing made of 1 tsp olive oil, 2 tsp lemon juice and a pinch of salt & pepper. VERY filling and nutritious.

Replies

• MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Great idea. I love broccoli I will have to try this.
  • bebhinn
    bebhinn Posts: 198
    Options
    OMG i love broccoli slaw!!! <3<3<3
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    great idea! check out thehungrygirl.com for more broccoli slaw recipes. she has a great chicken and sesame ginger dressing salad idea.
  • indiankel
    indiankel Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I get so ored with lettuce! I'm def going to try the slaw!!
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    Chinese Chicken Salad

16 oz package of Broccoli slaw
    12 oz cooked skinless Chicken breast
    1 Cup of canned water chestnuts drained and sliced into strips
    1 cup of mandarin oranges drained and chopped up
    1 cup chopped scallions
    3/4 cup Newmans Own Lighten up Sesame Ginger Dressing

toss all ingredients together in large bowl- refrigerate for 2 hours

Makes 5 servings
    1.5 cups

195 Calories
    2.75 grams Fat
    595 mg Sodium
    21g Carbs
    12.5 Sugars
    22.5 Proteins
    4.5 Fibers
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Yummm; that Chinese Chicken Salad looks great.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Broccoli slaw is awesome. I tried it a few weeks ago and made it using the recipe on the back of the bag (slaw, mayo, mustard, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper) and it rocked. Way more flavour than a cabbage coleslaw. Now when I make it I also add onion and cucumber.