Beginner Treadmill For the Unfit Needed!

Options
*Beginner Treadmill Advice For the Unfit Needed!*

Hello!

If you could share any advice on how to begin using the treadmill in a healthy way that would be great! I want to set realistic goals for myself on it where I can feel accomplished instead of upset that I couldn't do more and get discouraged.

Tonight I started out walking 10 minutes at 3.5 with bursts of running to get my heart pumping. I got off to grab water and noticed my back is throbbing ( I have three ruptured discs in my lumbar spine). Has anyone see the pain from discs get better with weight loss and exercise?

We also have a weight bench so any ideas for workouts for a novice would be great!

Starting weight 309 (used WWers to get to 280, now using my fitness pal only)
Current went 269
Goal 180 (for now, want to see how I feel when I get there)

Thanks!
Jessica

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    *Beginner Treadmill Advice For the Unfit Needed!*

Hello!

If you could share any advice on how to begin using the treadmill in a healthy way that would be great! I want to set realistic goals for myself on it where I can feel accomplished instead of upset that I couldn't do more and get discouraged.

Tonight I started out walking 10 minutes at 3.5 with bursts of running to get my heart pumping. I got off to grab water and noticed my back is throbbing ( I have three ruptured discs in my lumbar spine). Has anyone see the pain from discs get better with weight loss and exercise?

We also have a weight bench so any ideas for workouts for a novice would be great!

Starting weight 309 (used WWers to get to 280, now using my fitness pal only)
    Current went 269
    Goal 180 (for now, want to see how I feel when I get there)

Thanks!
    Jessica

I would just WALK for now, until you are a little stronger.

When I first started at the gym 11 months ago, I was 80lbs overweight and not even 6 weeks out from a 4 month long case of bronchitis ( combined with asthma flares). I think I walked at like 2-2.5 mph and by the end of 30 minutes my legs were throbbing, I was sweating like crazy, and I actually would stumble getting off the treadmill. My hips are horribly uneven, so my lower back was usually on fire too. As time went by, and things got easier, I bumped up the speed, or added inclines. Now I can easily do 3.2-3.4mph for 30 minutes, and for months now I have been doing level 7 hill intervals! i don't sweat and my legs are fine.
  • mommalove1956
    mommalove1956 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would start off at 2.5 mph with an inc. at 1.0 or 2.0. I am 130 lbs overweight and I have a hard time walking as well. I walk for 25 mins with a 5 min cool down. My legs arent on fire, but i do get a good workout.

Feel free to add as friend if you like!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    What might be better, given your back issue, is swimming or water aerobic classes at your local Y. My wife does a class for those with arthritis.

I have degenerative osteoarthritis (DOA) in my feet so running is out of the question. I can't sit on any bike machine for long because I have DOA in my tail bone too.
    But I can swim. I swim 2 to 4 miles a day 4 or more days a week and lift weights.

Working with a trainer with weights can help you develop a plan that works to build the muscles that support your back so there is less stress on the bad disks.
  • Valetta09
    Valetta09 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have considered swimming--- my back surgeon said walking will give me the most benefit mobility wise day to day so I am working on that- or rather getting ready to! What a wonderful idea about a trainer for the weights and building those that support my back- will work on finding someone and information about that tomorrow! It is so weak and out of whack from years of abuse.

Thanks to each and all !
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    You sound exactly like me when I started! I still don't run though. I walk fast and use the incline to keep my heart rate up. You are better off doing longer periods of time at a slower rate. It will be easier on your back and you will burn more calories. I have recently found out that I have degenerative disc disease... (bulging & narrowing but no ruptures that I'm aware of). I started on the treadmill doing 30 mins at 2.5mph and a level 2 incline and have worked up from there. Now I usually do 3.5mph on a level 6 incline for an hour. I'm tall (long legs) so my speeds are probably a bit higher than if I was short. I go strictly on my heart rate. I use the speed i'm comfortable at doing a fast walk that i know i can maintain. Once I get my heart rate up there (155 or so now but was 165 or so when I started) than I just work on keeping it there using the incline. If I can go to a lower incline and keep the heart rate up I'll do that, if it starts to slow I increase the incline.

If you run 10 minutes and burn 15 cals per minute you would burn 150 calories and be very sore. If you walk fast and burn 10 calories a minute for 30 minutes, you'd burn 300 calories and your back would thank you! (numbers are just generalizations to make the point!)

ETA: it helps get your heart rate up if you also swing your arms when you walk (as opposed to holding on). I'm sure I look ridiculous but I crank the tunes and dance along, swinging my arms like crazy. =)
    Good luck sweetie! You can do this =)
  • sokkache
    sokkache Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I've never been crazy overweight but I found out that the elliptical might actually help a lot if you want something low impact and low intensity as it really helps people who may have ankle problems. Water aerobics are also great exercises for people who need low impact exercises.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    If ypu can afford it, get one that adjusts based on your heart rate.
    Always get as wide a treadmill as you can afford.
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    You do not have to run! You don't have to kill yourself in general to accomplish your goals. Weight loss -- IMO -- requires more consistency than anything else, getting the exercise in and being strict with your caloric intake.

I walked for 95% of my total loss, do what you are most comfortable doing.
  • twoodley
    Options
    Thanks for the inspiration. I got a treadmill for Christmas and have been using it almost daily for the past 2 weeks and hoping that my 45 min to 1 hour per day at 4 mph varying the incline with a 6.5 mile 2 min sprint here and there will do the trick. I'm totally focused on eating clean and sticking within my caloric intake guide so I'm happy to know that I don't need to kill myself for results.Way to go losing so much!