Exercising and Dieting and not losing weight?

Options
I've seen this question pop up several times lately...........

Okay-so you’ve started watching your caloric intake, and you’ve gotten the motivation to start exercising! CONGRATS!!!

But you haven’t lost any weight?

Here’s why:

When you start exercising, your body starts retaining water. All of a sudden, muscles that have been trimmed by not having been used are forced to wake up and get bigger. I don’t know the exact measure, but for every part muscle you build, your body retains about two parts water.

In addition, you may be eating better. FINALLY! You are giving your body the fuel it needs!!!

Prior to appropriate calorie deficit and exercising, your body trimmed muscle and stored calories.

The process of muscle atrophy from not being used is called catabolism and is a NORMAL process. Thank evolution for this. Your body is getting rid of tissue it doesn’t need and doesn’t have to raise your metabolism to maintain.

See, your body is smarter than you are. When you don’t use all of your muscle ability, it starts getting rid of muscle tissue. Why carry the extra weight when you don’t need it? When you finally start fueling your body after yo-yo dieting and extreme caloric restriction, it stores those calories. Those of us who having been using MFP for a while call this “starvation mode.” Your body thinks that you are in a situation of “feast or famine,” and stores those “extra” calories during times of feast for times of famine. You have to get your body out of this mode and it takes time. I don’t know how much time. This varies on how much damage you’ve done to your metabolism, how long you’ve been doing it, and the exercise you’ve chosen.

When comparing identical volumes of fat and muscle, the muscle will weigh more. I gained ten pounds while training for a marathon. MFP inspired me to run it. Think this doesn’t have anything to do with you? Well, I was running 30-40 miles a week or more, and using this website to make sure I was eating enough calories. I came up in a deficit many times. So energy out was greater than energy in and I still gained weight. But I did not gain inches!

Your best measure of fitness is to measure yourself. The number on that scale is only important to you. Start getting familiar with that measuring tape. Use the log here on MFP for more than just how much you weigh. Use the other measurement boxes as well. That measuring tape will tell the true story. And have a professional measure your body fat percentage. This will shift more than just a number on the scale can show you.

There are other factors to consider, but give it time. You more than likely did not gain those pounds in a short period of time, don’t expect them to come off in a short period of time.

Don’t be discouraged by people who have immediate success. It happens. Your success is more important and you are not shallow enough to quit because someone lost more weight or lost it faster than you.

Even more importantly, learn from your trial and error on this website. Log your calories honestly. You will find out how to eat, what to eat, and how much. You get smarter than your body. But stick it out. You will succeed if you are honest and faithful to yourself.

Replies

• mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    This is an awesome post!!!! Thanks for posting it.
  • mmrose00
    mmrose00 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    :heart: THIS!!
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Options
    Great post...thanks for taking the time to write it
  • ReneDavidson
    ReneDavidson Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU...needed to hear that!
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • anniemal
    anniemal Posts: 9
    Options
    This is perfect to me. :smooched:
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I knew that stuff, but i needed to hear it again!
  • PaulaDygert
    PaulaDygert Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! I needed this very much today!
  • kazamber
    kazamber Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is great information! Thanks for posting.
  • mfinley82
    Options
    Wow...I really needed this! Thank you!
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post, this is becoming a mantra for me. Before I started lifting weights and only doing diet and cardio I was sheddening pounds like nobody's business, but then I started lifted a few weeks ago and the weight loss just stopped dead in its tracks. I'm still eating fewer cals that burning but the weight is staying still so I'm been redirecting myself towards other goals like running a half-marathon, lifting more weights, and building muscle mass, the weight will change when it changes I guess.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Wonderful post, brings things into a healthier perspective away from the numbers on the scale :flowerforyou:
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    Thanks for the post, this is becoming a mantra for me. Before I started lifting weights and only doing diet and cardio I was sheddening pounds like nobody's business, but then I started lifted a few weeks ago and the weight loss just stopped dead in its tracks. I'm still eating fewer cals that burning but the weight is staying still so I'm been redirecting myself towards other goals like running a half-marathon, lifting more weights, and building muscle mass, the weight will change when it changes I guess.

Look at CasperO's profile and realize his dilemma with his final 10 lbs. It is kicking his rear.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    Hanging in there, I am. Not giving up. NEVER giving up....

Thanks for this post :).

(It's been a 6 month plateau).
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Excellent Post.
    Love your signature by the way, wish we could all live like that!
  • Johnna87
    Johnna87 Posts: 11
    Options
    definitely needed to hear that... thanks for posting :)
  • roserex
    roserex Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It was great to have this information. We do get too focused on the scale instead of the inches
  • thriving2slim
    Options
    That was awesome!!! thanks for taking the pain to write, though all of us know this, we all tend to get depressed, and a post like this will boost our morale, you have explained it in a very beautiful and convincing way, thanks a lot.
  • vjh431
    vjh431 Posts: 38
    Options
    Good post and definitely truth to what you say. As for the measuring tape I need only feel the looseness of my jeans to know I'm going in the right direction.

Thank you a bunch for the info!

829127.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • feelinnauti
    Options
    I appreciate the post...I still feel discouraged, I've been eating 1200 calories a day since March 2nd, and I work out 5 days a week for 40 minutes, I walk and bike sometimes too AND I have not lost a single pound!!!!!! I have lost inches but no weight!!!