Hard Boiled Eggs?

Options
Hi. I need your help. I like hard boiled egg whites, but am having a hard time making them "perfect". Either my yolks are green or my shell sticks on. Help! If anyone has any tips, I'd greatly appreciate the advice. Thanks.

Replies

• kelli_panzera
    Options
    I don't know how you do it, i put mine in the cold water, bring them to boiling, let them boil for ten minutes then i rinse them in cold water and cover them in ice til they're cold. It works for me, and they're not green anymore, LOL!!
  • annrevels
    Options
    Not real sure about the green yolks, but make sure your water is boiling before you put the eggs in the water, and lower them in with a spoon. I have heard that adding salt to your water makes a difference. Hope this helps.
  • marzenka012192
    Options
    just put them in a pot and cover completely with water. put it over heat and add salt, and boil for about 10 min the salt makes them peel real nicely.
  • SheilaMB
    SheilaMB Posts: 1
    Options
    The fresher the eggs, the harder they are to peel once hard boiled. Not much else you can do about it. (I just researched this for myself the other day! :-)
    To avoid green in the yolk, do as marzenka012192 and ellik26 said and you should avoid the green.
  • JennyVirginia
    Options
    I do the same as ellik26 and I don't ever have problems with green yolks. I also make deviled eggs but I throw out the yolk and put hummus in the whites. It is so so good. You can use different flavors of hummus and they make such a great snack or addition to a meal!! Good luck to you.
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I never have a problem... and if you don't want to watch for it to boil just put the heat on high for 23 minutes, add salt and voila!
  • itsmenatalie
    itsmenatalie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I take them straight from the hot water into a bath of ice water and let them soak for several minutes. It seems to help with the sticky shells. Hope it helps you too!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I'm anal about my eggs being cooked completely, so I boil them until they crack, then I run them under cold water, peel them and give them a rinse to get the little pieces of shell off.
  • mocorbin
    mocorbin Posts: 24
    Options
    I always poke a hole in the large end with a push pin and they peel like a charm, I cover eggs with cold water, bring to boil and after boiling turn to simmer for 10 minutes with lid on. Plunge in ice water for 5 minutes to cool quickly. That is when I'm at someone else's house though. At home I use an egg cooker. I love mine and wouldn't live without it.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    If you use eggs that are a few days or a week old, they'll peel easier too. Fresh eggs aren't good for hard boiling.
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    One easy way to get them to peel: After they've been hard boiled and are cool, put them in the microwave for 10-15 seconds, the shells will expand at a different rate than the yolk and there will be a gap between the eggs "skin" inside the shell and the yolk such that it becomes extremely easy to peal them.

Don't put them in for more than 15 seconds though - I'm not sure what would happen but it might explode.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    One easy way to get them to peel: After they've been hard boiled and are cool, put them in the microwave for 10-15 seconds, the shells will expand at a different rate than the yolk and there will be a gap between the eggs "skin" inside the shell and the yolk such that it becomes extremely easy to peal them.

Don't put them in for more than 15 seconds though - I'm not sure what would happen but it might explode.

Wow, never seen that idea before, I'm gonna have to try that, Thanks :)
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'm totally gonna blow up eggs in the microwave tonight...
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I cover the eggs with water and put on to boil. When the water begins to boil, I remove the pot from the heat, put a lid on it and set the timer for 20-22 minutes. When time is up, rinse under cold water just until you can handle and peel. NJoy!
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you do it, i put mine in the cold water, bring them to boiling, let them boil for ten minutes then i rinse them in cold water and cover them in ice til they're cold. It works for me, and they're not green anymore, LOL!!

This is what I do too.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I boil them for 20 mins then take them off the heat, set them in the sink and gradually add cold water. Lastly, peal off shells. My mom said the green comes from cooking them two long (that has happened to me before when I forgot about them!) Sounds like people do it a lot of different ways. Good luck!
  • cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm totally gonna blow up eggs in the microwave tonight...

Thats what I was thinking. LOL.
  • steph1499
    steph1499 Posts: 36
    Options
    I cant cook them either and its so bad that when i do buy them i get them at publix pre made. its a little a little more money but last time i hads to do it twice cause i messed up so i spent the same amount i do just buying them made. lol one day i will learn
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,658 Member
    Options
    I cover the eggs with water and put on to boil. When the water begins to boil, I remove the pot from the heat, put a lid on it and set the timer for 20-22 minutes. When time is up, rinse under cold water just until you can handle and peel. NJoy!
    This is how I do it too. Works great every time!
  • sheltieroger
    sheltieroger Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    This is how I do it too. Works great every time!

Me three!!! except I leave it on the heat.....my mom taught me this way and she is the best egg cooker....she can soft boil an egg like a champ!!!

Funny how there are so many different ways to hardboil an egg:tongue: