Looking for others in the 1200 calories goal range

Options

Replies

• originalcookiemonster
    Options
    I sincerely hope you have not just picked 1200 calories as the fit all number, as lots of women tend to do. This is a misleading number that is not a "be all fit all". Find out what your BMR and your TDEE are, those are the numbers you need to know. Never net below your BMR and it is more beneficial to eat at a small appropriate deficit of your TDEE. This eliminates your need for "eating back exercise calories" and gives you a single solid number to know.

Please take the time to read this link so you can get some more info. I eat right at almost 2000 calories a day which is a little less than my TDEE. I am also 5'3" and weigh 126 lbs. Less food is not always the answer! :smile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    Thank goodness, another person of reason :flowerforyou:

Dawwwwe Why thank you ma'am. :blushing:
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I was on 1200, did cardio 6/7 days a week... lost a couple kilos at first and got more toned, Then STALLED. Now I'm eating 1700 and doing weights, and I'm only 5'0.5 !!

My advice: eat moreeeee, work out how much you need with the link provided by that other member!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5" and was 165 when I started and am now at 147! U can do this!
  • stefosaurusrawrrrr
    Options
    Added you! I'm 5'1", eating around 1200 calories a day :]
    Anybody else can feel free to add me too!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i didnt pick 1200, mfp did. i want to lose 2 per week, and mfp put me at 1200, still saying ill only lose 1.7 per week. i then spoke with my dr about this, seeing what she thought during my last physical, where i was weighing in at 246, and she thought it was fine for short term (up to 6 months), however, i upped my cals to 1250, because at 1250, i can fit 3 meals, 2 snacks, and my multiple cups of coffee per day. im at 196 after 4 months, feel great, and still closing constantly. i do give myself 1 day every 15 days where i have a 100% complete free day, but i still log... i go about 100% over what my maintenance cals would be... it all averages out throughout the month to 1400 cals a day. i love it, because i plan around these 2 days per month, it fits my lifestyle, having a large family and lots of outings...
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I sincerely hope you have not just picked 1200 calories as the fit all number, as lots of women tend to do. This is a misleading number that is not a "be all fit all". Find out what your BMR and your TDEE are, those are the numbers you need to know. Never net below your BMR and it is more beneficial to eat at a small appropriate deficit of your TDEE. This eliminates your need for "eating back exercise calories" and gives you a single solid number to know.

Please take the time to read this link so you can get some more info. I eat right at almost 2000 calories a day which is a little less than my TDEE. I am also 5'3" and weigh 126 lbs. Less food is not always the answer! :smile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    Thank goodness, another person of reason :flowerforyou:

Dawwwwe Why thank you ma'am. :blushing:

^ This so much.

I just want to put a warning out about doing the 1200 for long term because depending on how much weight you need to lose, you could be doing this for a couple years.

When you go from eating 2800+ calories a day to 1200, your body not only starts freaking out a bit...but you can put yourself in danger of becoming deficient in nutrients. I did this off and on for a couple years and aside from the major binges I'd have because my body just couldn't handle it anymore...I also ended up very protein deficient.

Of course this also depends on age as well. Just be careful and definitely check in with a doctor now and again if you do decide to just go ahead and do this to yourself.
  • sweetpea101077
    sweetpea101077 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am in this range as well as I am following the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution daily calorie allotment. I am 5'8" and just over 300lbs, so it has been quite an adjustment.

Add me as a friend and we can share in this journey together!
  • kitty_764
    Options
    You probably can eat more than 1200 calories in a day. That is the minimum that is recommended for a woman. I would suggest finding out your BMR and TDEE and eating between those. Good luck!

Does MFP have those calculators?
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    You probably can eat more than 1200 calories in a day. That is the minimum that is recommended for a woman. I would suggest finding out your BMR and TDEE and eating between those. Good luck!

Does MFP have those calculators?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

You can get your BMR here. Don't eat below this number.

Also, read this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Saiava
    Saiava Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Anyone can add me if they want. 5'4" and also at 1200 calories a day, but I want to slowly go up to maintenance calories starting next month if I do well for the rest of the month.
  • AmourDuCorps
    Options
    You can add me too (anyone who wants to add me is welcome :smile: ). I'm 5'4 and 130 lbs in the 1200 calorie range.
  • Jo4applerose
    Jo4applerose Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you and glad to be friends. My goal weight is the same as yours and height 5'4" and 1200 cal a day as well. Support will be key especially the food tracking.
  • Im_Worth_It
    Im_Worth_It Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me too!:) im 5'4, would like to lose 20lbs :)
  • Guinevere117
    Guinevere117 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" and maintain a 1200 cal goal. :)
  • Celeste_Monique
    Options
    Im almost in the same calorie goal, i do alot of exercise so i've bumped it up to help my body from going into starvation mode. I also have great recipes on my Blog... Very low in Calories and are posted almost Daily. :happy:
  • juliebmomof3
    juliebmomof3 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me I am in the 1200 range as well and I am finding it is not as hard as I thought it was going to be. I plan my meals out a day or two in advance too, that really helps me.
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options
    i didnt pick 1200, mfp did. i want to lose 2 per week, and mfp put me at 1200, still saying ill only lose 1.7 per week. i then spoke with my dr about this, seeing what she thought during my last physical, where i was weighing in at 246, and she thought it was fine for short term (up to 6 months), however, i upped my cals to 1250, because at 1250, i can fit 3 meals, 2 snacks, and my multiple cups of coffee per day. im at 196 after 4 months, feel great, and still closing constantly. i do give myself 1 day every 15 days where i have a 100% complete free day, but i still log... i go about 100% over what my maintenance cals would be... it all averages out throughout the month to 1400 cals a day. i love it, because i plan around these 2 days per month, it fits my lifestyle, having a large family and lots of outings...

I would suggest reading the link others have posted about finding out your numbers, have you been told what your TDEE is? Setting your general settings to a manual setting allows you to change the number MFP gives you everyday. That number is determined by your height, weight, sex, other factors so give it a look and see if you need to eat more, I'd wager you most likely do. I find it personally much simpler to have a solid number to hit everyday.

I also want to note that a healthy weight can be determined by your BMI as many people know but even this number can sometimes be irrelevant. I know many ladies who would qualify as "overweight" because the scale says so but if you saw them in a bikini you would think otherwise. These ladies lift heavy (and are not bulky mind you don't get me started on that) and have a great BF%. I say this because the ultimate goal should be FAT LOSS and not necessarily WEIGHT LOSS.

PM if you have more questions, I'm happy to help.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11" and I try not to go over 1200 calories per meal a day.
  • LMHJSBucks
    Options
    I've been at 1200 for a long time. Now I' going to kick it up and not just focus on the number of calories but also the type. Time to push up the protein and drop the carbs!! Happy to join all of you
  • jreeves628
    jreeves628 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2 1/2" My SW was 185 currently at 167 (after a recent gain) and I am now back on track to my goal of 145. I am currently eating a net 1200 calories.