Free weights vs. Machines

Options

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The problem with the "start with the machines" approach is that being proficient with the machines in no way helps you with the free weights. You'll still have the same learning curve when you finally step into the free weight section. Possibly worse, because the machines will have given you bad balance mechanics and a misperception of how strong you are.

Learn the free weights right from the start.

Totally agree. If you make gains on the machines, it won't translate to gains on the raw metal at all. There are some advantages to the machines for isolation excercises where you want to target very specific muscle fibers or go to failure without the need for a spotter. Machines are also great for exhaustion and pre-exhaustion work. But you gotta have core compound movements with free weights in there if you want to see the best results especially in a beginner trainee who is trying to develop their base muscle and not just tweak what they already have.

Sure it will. I think there's a big tendency for more experienced lifters to think that everybody can lift like they do from day one.

If someone is just starting out, they will see results from doing just about anything--and that includes machines. Is it ideal? Of course not. But not everyone has the resources or the aptitude to launch into free weights from day 1. When you have no control over your body, have no kinesthetic awareness, and are somewhat disoriented starting in a new atmosphere--that's maybe not the best time to start playing around with "compound lifts".

Sorry--don't mean to pick on you personally, but I just think that a lot of the more experienced lifters on fitness forums tend to focus on their ideal rather than the real. And the reality is that not everyone can afford a trainer, not everyone feels comfortable with free weights, and it's not safe for a lot of beginners to even be trying them at first.

A lot of beginners start on machines and at least learn the basics of training, and start feeling where some of their muscles are and how they work. Then, after several sessions, or weeks, or months, they start feeling results, start getting excited and motivated--then they are ready to take the next step--at that point, they learn a lot more easily and retain the information more thoroughly.

Again, not disagreeing with anyone about the superiority of user-defined path of motion resistance exercise vs machine-defined. I am just expressing a different perspective and trying to expand the discussion. I know that plenty of new exercisers can learn free weights from day 1, and I tend to push my younger or more athletic beginners in that direction. And eventually, I take my seniors there too, when they are ready. But working with large numbers in a diverse population, it's notable how out of touch people are with their bodies.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    @Azdak- that's interesting perspective. One of my bigger issues with machines is the level of complication required to get a balanced program leads people to just pick their favorites. How do you overcome that?
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    i personally choose free weights over machines any day , its a more natural form of motion and i find u can really hit the muscle the way u want to hit it
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, I was far too lazy to read all of the responses.

Check out this post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/744311-free-weights-vs-machines-holy-crap

It's lorinalynn and she shows the difference between machines & free weights.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Spending the money for one training session so the trainer can show you how to do each lift properly is a good investment. (One of the guys my husband works with is a personal trainer so I get it for free *sneaky laugh*) If this is your first time lifting free weights I would recommend it, that way they can show you proper lifts and how to not hurt yourself.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Free weights are better than machines
    Machines are better than nothing

this except in the case of a cable tower being better than dumbbells for some isolation lifts that a beginner need not be bothering with
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • danadesiree
    Options
    If you are just looking to tone up and burn calories the machines will work just fine.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Are you doing this solo or using a trainer? Many people start out using the machines and as they become more confident in their abilities, progress to free weights. There's no shame in it. It's all about taking one step at a time, especially if you're new to lifting. Lift according to your beginning abilities, take it slow, lift safely and have fun.

Unfortunately I have no trainer, and my gym doesn't offer any. :( That's why weight lifting is so nerve-wracking for me, I have no reference for what I'm doing except what I've read online.

Ask someone in the gym for some pointers. I know that sounds daunting - to ask a complete stranger for help - but many/most people at the gym will be more than happy to give you a tip or two. They may not want to show you everything about everything, as they want to get their own work in, but will typically show you how to do a particular move and get you started.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    If you are just looking to tone up and burn calories the machines will work just fine.

That's my goal! :) I know girls can't bulk the way men do without some serious work, but I don't even want a whole bunch of definition. My goal is just to get smaller and have SLIGHTLY defined arms and legs. Getting closer to my goal weight will get me halfway there, and strength and endurance training will hopefully do the rest.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options

That's my goal! :) I know girls can't bulk the way men do without some serious work, but I don't even want a whole bunch of definition. My goal is just to get smaller and have SLIGHTLY defined arms and legs. Getting closer to my goal weight will get me halfway there, and strength and endurance training will hopefully do the rest.

If this is your goal and you've never done strength training, put off the weights for now and just do body weight exercises. That's usually where you have to start anyway. You'll learn and master proper form and then you'll feel more comfortable adding weight.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    The problem with the "start with the machines" approach is that being proficient with the machines in no way helps you with the free weights. You'll still have the same learning curve when you finally step into the free weight section. Possibly worse, because the machines will have given you bad balance mechanics and a misperception of how strong you are.

Totally agree. If you make gains on the machines, it won't translate to gains on the raw metal at all. There are some advantages to the machines for isolation excercises where you want to target very specific muscle fibers or go to failure without the need for a spotter. Machines are also great for exhaustion and pre-exhaustion work. But you gotta have core compound movements with free weights in there if you want to see the best results especially in a beginner trainee who is trying to develop their base muscle and not just tweak what they already have.

Sure it will. I think there's a big tendency for more experienced lifters to think that everybody can lift like they do from day one.

If someone is just starting out, they will see results from doing just about anything--and that includes machines. Is it ideal? Of course not. But not everyone has the resources or the aptitude to launch into free weights from day 1. When you have no control over your body, have no kinesthetic awareness, and are somewhat disoriented starting in a new atmosphere--that's maybe not the best time to start playing around with "compound lifts".

Sorry--don't mean to pick on you personally, but I just think that a lot of the more experienced lifters on fitness forums tend to focus on their ideal rather than the real. And the reality is that not everyone can afford a trainer, not everyone feels comfortable with free weights, and it's not safe for a lot of beginners to even be trying them at first.

A lot of beginners start on machines and at least learn the basics of training, and start feeling where some of their muscles are and how they work. Then, after several sessions, or weeks, or months, they start feeling results, start getting excited and motivated--then they are ready to take the next step--at that point, they learn a lot more easily and retain the information more thoroughly.

Again, not disagreeing with anyone about the superiority of user-defined path of motion resistance exercise vs machine-defined. I am just expressing a different perspective and trying to expand the discussion. I know that plenty of new exercisers can learn free weights from day 1, and I tend to push my younger or more athletic beginners in that direction. And eventually, I take my seniors there too, when they are ready. But working with large numbers in a diverse population, it's notable how out of touch people are with their bodies.

Agreed. I started back exercising after a severe back injury left me virtually immobilized for a year and then another couple years of just light exercising like walking. When I hit the gym, I started on the machines. After 16 months, I just now have switched over to free weights. I started out VERY out of shape and without any core strength. And, to be honest, not much other strength either. I really think that the machines, plus other classes like yoga, pilates, bootcamp, etc., have gotten me fit enough to do free weights but I also believe I would have re-injured my back had I not built up to it.

While doing the machines, I'd worked my way up from doing 90# on the leg press to 240#, 30# on the back machine to 120#, 40# on the ab machine to 110#, as some examples. While, still relatively wienie-weights, I was pleased with my progress. I was gobsmacked with how much I had to lower all my weights when I switched to free weights. Wow. I'm still weaker than I thought.

Free weights definitely give me a much harder workout than I ever got on the machines. Wow, I can feel it all over when I'm done! I'm gutted. But that's a good thing. I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5 but I am adding a couple isolation movements for a few weak spots I need to focus on. I want to do some climbing and I have very weak hands and forearms so I'm doing some farmer carries and various DB wrist curls.

And, yeah, SL5x5 takes about half the time as doing all the machines did.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Agreed. I started back exercising after a severe back injury left me virtually immobilized for a year and then another couple years of just light exercising like walking. When I hit the gym, I started on the machines. After 16 months, I just now have switched over to free weights. I started out VERY out of shape and without any core strength. And, to be honest, not much other strength either. I really think that the machines, plus other classes like yoga, pilates, bootcamp, etc., have gotten me fit enough to do free weights but I also believe I would have re-injured my back had I not built up to it.

While doing the machines, I'd worked my way up from doing 90# on the leg press to 240#, 30# on the back machine to 120#, 40# on the ab machine to 110#, as some examples. While, still relatively wienie-weights, I was pleased with my progress. I was gobsmacked with how much I had to lower all my weights when I switched to free weights. Wow. I'm still weaker than I thought.

Free weights definitely give me a much harder workout than I ever got on the machines. Wow, I can feel it all over when I'm done! I'm gutted. But that's a good thing. I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5 but I am adding a couple isolation movements for a few weak spots I need to focus on. I want to do some climbing and I have very weak hands and forearms so I'm doing some farmer carries and various DB wrist curls.

And, yeah, SL5x5 takes about half the time as doing all the machines did.

To be fair, machines were designed to be used for your purpose, PT and injury rehab. Its not exactly the same as a perfectly healthy young woman getting started with a strength program.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    If this is your goal and you've never done strength training, put off the weights for now and just do body weight exercises. That's usually where you have to start anyway. You'll learn and master proper form and then you'll feel more comfortable adding weight.

Can do! I love yoga and try to do it a few times a week. I'm much stronger and more flexible when I do that consistently, and I get the overall look that I'm going for. I also have an app on my phone with lots of bodyweight exercises to get me started after I finish Ripped in 30.
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Free weights are way better than machines. They strengthen you "core" naturally.

If you're worried about your form and have no access to a trainer then the next best thing is to record yourself and post a video of yourself on one of the mayor lifting forums.

I can recommend the book & DVD "Starting Strength" it explains the mayor lifts in detail.

When you start lifting you don't need many different exercises! Just do the main compound lifts:
    - Squat
    - Overheap press
    - Bench press
    - Deadlift

You don't need anything else in the first 3-6 months! (Maybe add pull-ups.)
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Clearly free weights are far superior.

That being said - whilst it is ideal that you would start on the free weights from day one with perfect form and a perfect routine. That won't happen though, so if you feel a bit more comfortable using the machines at first then that's a fine way to start.

Maybe get your routine set on the machines and then after a few sessions, before you go down for your next time, research a different compound each time - research it to death so you know you have the form down in your head and try it with a low weight to get the feel of it, then you can start including it in and build up your free weight routine that way.

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Bench Press/Dips
    Pull ups/Chin ups/Lat pulldown
    Rows
    Shoulder Press
    Sit ups
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Are you doing this solo or using a trainer? Many people start out using the machines and as they become more confident in their abilities, progress to free weights. There's no shame in it. It's all about taking one step at a time, especially if you're new to lifting. Lift according to your beginning abilities, take it slow, lift safely and have fun.

Unfortunately I have no trainer, and my gym doesn't offer any. :( That's why weight lifting is so nerve-wracking for me, I have no reference for what I'm doing except what I've read online.

Ask someone in the gym for some pointers. I know that sounds daunting - to ask a complete stranger for help - but many/most people at the gym will be more than happy to give you a tip or two. They may not want to show you everything about everything, as they want to get their own work in, but will typically show you how to do a particular move and get you started.

Of course, about 50% of the information you get will be wrong, but, hey, you get what you pay for.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

Of course, about 50% of the information you get will be wrong, but, hey, you get what you pay for.

Overly optimistic?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

50% only? You must work out in a good gym. :)
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting a weights regimen, using the machines will help you use the proper form until you are more confident. Otherwise, more free weights than machines will give you the best results.