Wheat Belly

Options

Replies

• Squidgrok
    Squidgrok Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Recently decided to test this diet out as i suspect im wheat intolerant, need friends though. Anyone followig want to add me?
  • MelissaLZ
    Options
    I'm sort of surprised by those who are saying they think the book isn't worth a read, but that they, as it turns out, did find the concept of giving up or avoiding wheat helpful to them.
    I'm reading the book right now. I take everything I read with a grain of salt and intend to certainly fact-check and do some follow-up. I'm sufficiently intrigued, though. The book is dense if you try to read it carefully, so it's taking me some time to get through it (I'm lucky to find a half an hour a week for recreational reading), but during the time that I've been reading it, I've been de facto avoiding wheat and there is no question I feel better and have lost some weight with no other changes. I have some successful history with avoiding carbs for dieting, so I guess I'm sympathetic from the start, but my interest in the book has been far more focused on aging, disease, and general well-being than weight loss.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    The grains we get today are all genetically engineered and are actually hazardous to our health. I started with a gluten free diet after my wife was diagnosed with Celiac disease and ultimately I am trying to stay on a Primal diet which is of course gluten free. It's interesting that various athletes even on different diets than mine find success with going gluten free (such as Rich Roll).

This right here? He claims it and its not true. There are no GMO wheats on the market. All the wheat being grown was developed using conventional breeding techniques. They cross different types looking for new strains with better yield, disease resistance, or whatever trait they are breeding for, There are no gene insertions etc. every single domesticated plant you eat has been created the same damn way.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    This right here? He claims it and its not true. There are no GMO wheats on the market. All the wheat being grown was developed using conventional breeding techniques. They cross different types looking for new strains with better yield, disease resistance, or whatever trait they are breeding for, There are no gene insertions etc. every single domesticated plant you eat has been created the same damn way.

Thank you. As a farmer I'd love there to be a GMO wheat that we could spray weed killers on but there isn't. I've tried to explain that before but it seems those who are on the Wheat Belly bandwagon can't take that in. I actually read the damn book just to see what he really said and he really doesn't say there is GMO wheat but he certainly tap dances all around it hoping that's the conclusion that you'll draw.
  • braillesign
    Options
    I got book out of library to read and I am still in the process of reading it. Around 10 years ago, I developed a food intolerance to wheat. I stopped eating wheat for about 4 years then started to put it back into my diet once again. Back in November 2012, my wheat intolerance came back. When I was eating wheat I was always craving sweets and other foods. Since I have stopped eating wheat, I no longer have cravings for sweets and I am dropping weight without even trying. I had the same experience 10 years ago when I stopped eating wheat. I am definitely eliminating wheat from my diet altogether because it affects my breathing at night. The books CLEAN by Alejandro Junger and The Virgin Diet by JJ Virgin are about eating healthy and eliminating wheat and other items from your diet. I found these 2 books very helpful for me since back in Nov 2012 I have developed numerous food intolerances. I found out about these 2 books through watching the Dr OZ show.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

Thank you. As a farmer I'd love there to be a GMO wheat that we could spray weed killers on but there isn't. I've tried to explain that before but it seems those who are on the Wheat Belly bandwagon can't take that in. I actually read the damn book just to see what he really said and he really doesn't say there is GMO wheat but he certainly tap dances all around it hoping that's the conclusion that you'll draw.

I watched a lecture he gave on the topic and he was very clear to explain how modern wheat came to be and specifically states that it's NOT GMO.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I love your username, OP!

Wheat Belly is a propaganda piece, designed to sell books and create a new dietary bad-guy. We've had saturated fats, sugar, HFCS, corn in general, white carbs, high GI foods, and now .... wheat is the new evil (or a Big Bad, since you seem to be a Buffy fan!) Wheat is not poison, it's not hazardous to our health, nor is it the cause of obesity.

Unless you are gluten intolerant or are diagnosed with coeliac disease, there is nothing wrong with traditionally-made bread. It's a great food.

Some people here are radical proponents of a low-grain or low-carbohydrate diet. What works for you is the right way to go. I eat plenty of grains.

^^ this. for the win.

Yes. Much winning here.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the viewpoints here, for those who have a medical need to be GF and/or DF then skipping the glutinous grains is essential, myself and two of my three daughters skip the gluten for medical reasons, so you can say the anti wheat thing is propaganda and it is BUT if a few more folks try it and find they feel better then all the better, gluten intolerance is often the "mystery" disease as doctors hesitate to do the test, well until recently when you can get fair results with a blood test as long as you are still eating wheat. Quicker and cheaper, go off of gluten for a few weeks, do you feel better, then great, doesn't make a difference, then of course go back to enjoying your donuts and bread :love:
    However, don't diss those who must avoid it, for those who shouldn't be eating it they slowly destroy the villi in their colon until it no longer functions correctly if they continue to consume it, so for them, it is truly a life or death decision.
    BTW, the Franz bread company has recently come out with a gluten free bread that puts all the others to shame, there are only a few stores in my area that carry it but if you can find it, you will enjoy a regular sandwich again that even the wheat eaters at my house don't complain about.
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options

Wheat Belly is a propaganda piece, designed to sell books and create a new dietary bad-guy. We've had saturated fats, sugar, HFCS, corn in general, white carbs, high GI foods, and now .... wheat is the new evil (or a Big Bad, since you seem to be a Buffy fan!) Wheat is not poison, it's not hazardous to our health, nor is it the cause of obesity.

Unless you are gluten intolerant or are diagnosed with coeliac disease, there is nothing wrong with traditionally-made bread. It's a great food.

Some people here are radical proponents of a low-grain or low-carbohydrate diet. What works for you is the right way to go. I eat plenty of grains.

this^
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Which of those evils have been proven to be at all good for you? Its called progress, not propaganda.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

But the thing is, wheat has been hybridized. Do you debate that?
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I've tried both grain free diets, and wheat free diets that included other grains. I do much better with whole grains in my diet, including wheat, which I like in grain form best (bulgar). But I have quite a few friends that have reported decreased joint pain, decreased bloating, better mood, and other improvements when they went wheat free. You just have to try it out and see.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

"Hybridization" is not a dirty word!!

Hybridization is not "GMO." Hybridization is crossing two varieties by simply letting one pollinate the other and seeing what resulted. Hybridization is, ultimately, how every single domestic crop that we eat was created.

Domestication is hybridization.

Including meat animals -- we created the domestic breeds we know today by crossing the animals we had with other ones -- wild animals, animals from a neighbor's herd.... The word "Hybrid" is dervied from a latin word meaning "Offspring of a tame sow and a wild boar."

"Hybrid" wheat? Is not something created in a lab by evil scientists intent on destroying our gut flora. Wheat has been "Hybrid" since the beginning:

"Common bread wheat (Triticum aestivum) is an example of a common amphiploid. This hexaploid came into being about 7,000 years ago from hybridization between rivet wheat (T. turgidum), a tetraploid, and Tausch's goatgrass (Aegilops tauschii), a diploid.5 In fact, Talbert et al. (1998) say it arose repeatedly as the result of multiple hybridization events. Rivet wheat itself is a much older, natural amphiploid derived from hybridization between two diploid grasses. One was the goatgrass Aegilops speltoides.6 The other was either wild einkorn (Triticum boeoticum) or another wild wheat, T. urartu, more likely the former.7"
    (http://www.macroevolution.net/polyploid.html)
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

"Hybridization" is not a dirty word!!

Hybridization is not "GMO." Hybridization is crossing two varieties by simply letting one pollinate the other and seeing what resulted. Hybridization is, ultimately, how every single domestic crop that we eat was created.

Domestication is hybridization.

Including meat animals -- we created the domestic breeds we know today by crossing the animals we had with other ones -- wild animals, animals from a neighbor's herd.... The word "Hybrid" is dervied from a latin word meaning "Offspring of a tame sow and a wild boar."

"Hybrid" wheat? Is not something created in a lab by evil scientists intent on destroying our gut flora. Wheat has been "Hybrid" since the beginning:

"Common bread wheat (Triticum aestivum) is an example of a common amphiploid. This hexaploid came into being about 7,000 years ago from hybridization between rivet wheat (T. turgidum), a tetraploid, and Tausch's goatgrass (Aegilops tauschii), a diploid.5 In fact, Talbert et al. (1998) say it arose repeatedly as the result of multiple hybridization events. Rivet wheat itself is a much older, natural amphiploid derived from hybridization between two diploid grasses. One was the goatgrass Aegilops speltoides.6 The other was either wild einkorn (Triticum boeoticum) or another wild wheat, T. urartu, more likely the former.7"
    Stop making so much sense. It gets in the way of the fad and confuses things with facts.
    I wonder if the wheat belly bandwagon jumpers are going to give up their vegetables too, because they have all been husbanded...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Fast forward to the last min or so if you don't want to watch the whole thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Ucxeiyjpg
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    5! 5 Fad diets! AH HA HA HA HAAAAA!
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Isn't Tausch's goatgrass (Aegilops tauschii) the problem? There's not much info on it though. I cut wheat from my diet for a while to stay away from allergens and high glycemic foods.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Funny, they used to call it a barley belly... I mean beer gut.

Next up. Rice Belly, Oat Belly, Carb Belly.

Just ignore the hype and rise above the plebeians. :flowerforyou:
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

^^^ This. Go with this.
  • Persephone7676
    Persephone7676 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    While I think the 'doctor' promoting Wheat Belly Diets is a quack, there are some things he mentions that work for me personally. Honestly I think it all goes back to each person, how your metabolism reacts to certain food, genetics and probably a lot of environmental factors we don't even know about. For me, only for me I emphasize, cutting out wheat has helped me to seriously quell my chronic sebaceous dermatitis and when I don't have wheat I find my blood sugar is MUCH more stable through out the day. I noticed earlier in this thread some people mentioned ADD. I have ADD and Dyslexia, I would have to say it definitely helps with concentration and reducing the 'motor in your head' type of thinking. This may be due to the fact that my blood sugar stabilizes, I don't know. My experience has been that any food, exercise or whatever that stabilizes blood sugar for people with neurologically rooted problems like ADD, Dyslexia, Manic Depression, Bipolar even Alzheimer's Disease do much better with a 'back to basics' approach to diet which helps them stay 'even keel', if you know what I mean. I don't have all of those things but my immediate family does. We all are very sensitive to blood sugar fluctuations and practically morph into a subhuman creatures when we get low blood sugar. I think the Wheat Belly doc that is touting his book and evil wheat as the answer to why everyone of overweight is a bunch of poo. He sounds like a newer Dr. Atkins. Meh.