Am I crazy? MFP & stopping smoking?

Options
Hi, all! I'm not technologically-gifted, so bear with me! I just downloaded My Fitness Pal to my smartphone & will start using it tomorrow to help me reach my goal of losing 42 lbs.! I'm excited & think the accountability will be a good thing! I also want to stop smoking. I smoke about ten cigarettes a day. I'm really tired of feeling unhealthy, but maybe trying to do both of those things at once isn't a good idea. Any thoughts? Best wishes to all!

Replies

• DterMined2012
    DterMined2012 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    You r not crazy!!! I quit smoking april will be 2 years ago and it's the best decision I have ever made!!! Cigarette smoking is THE worse thing you can do to your body!!! Please quit and don't ever start again.....good luck!!!
  • elebel82
    elebel82 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think it can work. Might even be the best thing you do, because monitoring your calories can prevent you from -putting- on weight when you quit. That said, if you feel that you will struggle, focus on smoking first. It's a. a quicker fix, and b. more important, imo. Once you've got that down pat, mfp will still be here.
  • Kooliette
    Options
    Thank you for the replies! Since before New Year's Day, I've been struggling to decide which goal to focus on, my weight or smoking, and I'm feeling ready for a total overhaul, so to speak!
  • mwgner
    mwgner Posts: 115
    Options
    As a person in the same position, I decided I was going to focus on my weight loss and quitting smoking at the same time. However, I made it about three days of no smoking and caved. I am now focusing on my weight loss, eating more fresh foods and less processed foods and getting to the gym.

If you can handle such a drastic change, focus on them both. I could not handle that.
  • Talus731
    Talus731 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I need to quit smoking also, but have decided to get my eating under control first, then quit. For me it would be to difficult to do both. Only you know what you can handle. Give it a try, that's the only true way you will know for sure.
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Quit both at the same time? WHAT?!

tumblr_lnydccXvsU1qaa241.gif
  • jrhodo
    jrhodo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I quit 4 years ago and I'm here to lose the weight now. If I had it to do over, I would quit smoking (Quit.net got me through) and track my calories here, but aim for my maintainace calories. After you have your quit secured, then worry about the weight.
    If you do it the other way, you will probably gain back any lost weight and give up on both. I know I would have.
    You can do it!!!!!!
  • Kooliette
    Options
    HA, text message! You crazy kid! But I know; both at once... Yikes!
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I did exactly what you're doing....two years ago. And I've lost 80 lbs and haven't had a smoke in 2 years. It's actually easier to quit smoking and start working out because you need something to distract you from craving a smoke. Plus, you won't gain any of the weight normally associated with quitting. GOOD LUCK!!
  • Royalsbatwench
    Royalsbatwench Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It's a lot to take on, but you can do it! I quit in August of 2010 and haven't looked back. Best of luck!
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    First I joined MFP and started weight loss. Then I started to exercise. After coughing like crazy, I quit smoking, used patches for 2 weeks. That was last Sept, I will never smoke again.
  • philch4v13
    philch4v13 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have been doing MFP for a week now and I also have been thinking its time to quit smoking. I feel I have been ready for a while and why not do them both at once. Even after 1 week I feel so much better and honestly think that I am ready to take the non smoker plunge right along with the other stuff. Why not make a total overhaul life change
  • StephCoff1969
    Options
    Not crazy at all... I started using MFP in December and I quit smoking at the same time... I was worried about being able to do both, but haven't had a cig since... Add me if you would like.... It can be done.. and remember this... Baby steps to Victory....
  • crissy976
    crissy976 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Nope, you're not crazy. I'm doing the same thing. I'm getting rid of one cigarette out of my daily routine per week. I'm now down to 4 cigarettes, and starting tomorrow, I'll be down to 3 cigarettes a day for the week. I feel that in order to get rid of the bad habit, you have to replace it with a good habit. Out with the bad, in with the good. You can do it! Good luck!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Me, I gave up smoking before losing weight. I'm glad I did as I put on a bit of weight trying to keep my hands busy ....eating lollies and drinking softdrink. I'm coming up to 3 years in Feb without ciggies.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    That be crazy!

I think got now set your goal to .5 lbs a week loss till you kick the smoking habit. That is going to be hard!
  • roadmapmaker
    roadmapmaker Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If you cant quit, try vaping with ecigarettes. They really clear up the lungs. Just make sure they are the glycerine and not the propylene glycol. I perfer Blu myself and find that I dont crave too often.
  • aimeeernest
    aimeeernest Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    it's possible! I'm doing it! However, I started the quitting smoking one month before I started dieting. 1. quitting helps me work harder at the gym and 2. I was already stressed and irritable quitting and didn't want to add to it with starting a diet at the same exact moment. So I quit... and about a month later I felt entirely ready to start a diet. I was already feeling better physically. OH! and I started EXERCISING at the same time that I quit. baby steps though. I was walking a lot. The exercise helped take the edge off of not having a cigarette and I hear it's good to help you stick to quitting. But i didn't start counting calories and being strict with my diet until the next month when I was getting used to not smoking.
  • PawsomeMom
    Options
    Even if you are crazy ...what's so bad about it? Who decides that anyhow? I don't mind being different!

I stopped smoking about 2 month ago....if I'm stressed I sometimes think about it but know they won't taste too good. At least the first one doesn't. I stopped 2011 for about 6 month but when my family came to visit for 3 month I sure went with them outside to smoke. Took me 3 days to get back to smoking. This time I hope it's for good. I always enjoy when I start smelling things more intense and wake up with a clear throat...those are the things that keep me going!

I waited with the weight loss for 2 month ..and now focus on the weight issue. Decided to do it that way because I knew to stop smoking is hard (for me) during the first few weeks then I will be ok. Gained another few pounds but I hope they will come down even easier and motivate me regarding the weight loss!

Focus on what is more important to you and the greater issue. Then decide how hard it will be to stop both.

Either way .....stay positive and always do what YOU want and need!
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    hi there, its up to you, which is more important? I came here and did weight loss first as i wasnt ready to quit, i hit my goal december, then quit smoking ( a pack a day for 23 years) cold turkey 9 am dec 30th, so its 3 weeks tomorrow, its ok, ive been cranky, ive cried etc, i crave, im eating a lot more, but i also run as im fit and i work out because im used ot it. I love the fact my runs have increased as my stamina is amazing now, so thats cool anyway here are my quit stats, hope it helps you make the decision xx

quit date 30/12/12 09.00
    time since last smoke 20d 13.53
    money saved $329.27
    cigs not smoked 514.48
    life saved 2d 03.26

anyway I really dont want to go back to smoking there are heaps of free aps to help and they all have a little counter to keep you motivated. Good luck and check out the amount of money i saved, and life xxx

BTW I have gained 2 pounds byt that could be water or muscle as training harder xx