Replies

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    cute.
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Its going to keep coming up because for whatever reason MFP sets EVERYBODY at 1200. I saw a man who was (I think) over 6' tall post something about trying to stay under 1200! People who are new are going to say, ok, that is what I need to do, that is what I'll do. This is biology and math and numbers and to people new to this it is damn confusing. So don't judge.

And if you're new reading this and thinking what the heck is going on here, search the forums for something called TDEE and good luck!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 lbs on 1200 calories. I worked out 4 to 5 days a week... kept energy got stronger and more fit and went from 49 to 29% body fat. Results dont lie... just sayin. Ps why do u care what others do? If more people would focus on their own shyt i wouldnt have to call bullshyt on their total existence. F your noise. Im happy with me... and ur lame. Just sayin
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I suffered no ill effects on 1280. I'm now on maintenance and have been for almost two years, so I consider myself an MFP success story. Everyone is different, so something that works on me might fail on someone else. Just because you failed on low cal, doesn't make it B.S. for everyone. :flowerforyou:
  • VeronicaAM
    Options
    You just wanted to say "bull****" in the forums, didn't you?
  • VeronicaAM
    Options
    :tongue:
    You just wanted to say "bull****" in the forums, didn't you?
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Its going to keep coming up because for whatever reason MFP sets EVERYBODY at 1200. I saw a man who was (I think) over 6' tall post something about trying to stay under 1200! People who are new are going to say, ok, that is what I need to do, that is what I'll do. This is biology and math and numbers and to people new to this it is damn confusing. So don't judge.

And if you're new reading this and thinking what the heck is going on here, search the forums for something called TDEE and good luck!

This is so true. When I first started, I had to learn all this. I started at 1200, because who doesn't want to lose 2 pounds a week if you are heavy and it gives you the option. I sometimes believe these threads are important because it calls all this into question, and others might get the info they need. This topic won't go away.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    For those wanting more info on exactly what the OP is talking about:

If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.

Or for a different version to figure out your TDEE, as well as some great advice...check out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes

Also, if you are worried about the calorie intake, I also suggest you read this thread that has numerous people who met their goals and are maintaining. Some for years and they also provide their calorie intake and how often they work out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816542-let-s-hear-it-for-maintainenance

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.

For info about your macros (proteins/fats/carbs) - check out this link. It will give you the formula to figure out your #s and also how to custom change them in MFP:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Also - there are people that tend to eat 1000 calories because they think that by cutting that 100-200 calories gets them "ahead of the game." First, realize that whatever # your TDEE is at or that MFP actually puts you at - that's already a deficit. But either way, even at 1200 - you can be depriving yourself. Eating 2600+ calories a day and then cutting to 1200 is going to really mess with your system. You could end up protein deficient, for example, like I did.

Here are some other links for your viewing just to give you more info to let mull in your brain :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521480-1000-calories-or-less-a-day
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
    http://www.fitwatch.com/weight-loss/3-reasons-why-eating-less-than-1000-calories-is-a-waste-of-time-3347.html
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/81391-starvation-mode-myths-and-science

Yes, this is can all be overwhelming and complicated , but you are more than welcome to ask questions on the post.
    One of the things that I have found that has been one of the best methods for me to get fit is to understand fitness. To understand where all these figures, etc come from.

The good thing is once you get the hang of it - it is something you'll be aware of constantly and you'll get a better understanding about your eating habits.

So I HIGHLY suggest making the effort to take every chance to educate yourself. Even if you don't end up going with any of these methods, calculations, etc - at least you understand what they are, where others are coming from, and maybe they will still be able to help you figure out what is best for you.
  • LupitaWins12
    Options
    Agree...i eat around 2,000 calories a day + exercise. It's a lifestyle change!
  • Minnesota_Nice
    Minnesota_Nice Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    MFP does not set everybody at 1200. That is the default minimum. Its what you get if you're trying to lose fast...probably too fast. Mine has always been set over 1600. I eat that...plus what I burn. Why would I make myself miserable trying to est 1200 measly calories?
  • babymine55
    babymine55 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I realize I shouldn't take the bait on this one, but, I just can't help calling stupid, stupid.

Everyone is different. Everyone has different goals, issues, lifestyles and even some have hormone issues that ALL contribute to their different weight loss journey.

I have been on a 1200 calorie a day regimen for a long time now. Look at me, I'm just fine. No, I don't have an eating disorder. I was given the ok by my doctor and my trainer. I started this at 370 pounds, I'm 60 pounds from the promised land. I'm here, I'm fine....all that, on 1200 calories a day!!

Why is everyone so freakin uptight about what other people have their calorie ticker set to? *aside from those with actual eating disorders*

How about this, you don't it, don't friend request anyone with that set calorie. Problem solved.

Ok, rant over!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    1200 is too low for me. If it works for you, go for it. But don't forget to stick pretty closely to your BMR as the minimum for most of the time.

Some people feel great on 1200 calories. I tend to feel hungry, tired, dizzy and nauseous anywhere blow about 1400.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    i think this topic died about 2 gazillion posts prior to this one.

THIS :yawn:
  • RobKarmic
    RobKarmic Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    In what way do you call bull****? and for what reasons?
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    do what I do and work out on weekdays. It gives u tons of extra calories u can eat so almost everyday feels like a cheat day.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    <
    1200 cals a day got me this body. No joke. I'm not hungry, and my energy levels are great. Call bullshyt if it makes you feel good about yourself, but it works for me, so you are cordially invited to stfu.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I realize I shouldn't take the bait on this one, but, I just can't help calling stupid, stupid.

Everyone is different. Everyone has different goals, issues, lifestyles and even some have hormone issues that ALL contribute to their different weight loss journey.

I have been on a 1200 calorie a day regimen for a long time now. Look at me, I'm just fine. No, I don't have an eating disorder. I was given the ok by my doctor and my trainer. I started this at 370 pounds, I'm 60 pounds from the promised land. I'm here, I'm fine....all that, on 1200 calories a day!!

Why is everyone so freakin uptight about what other people have their calorie ticker set to? *aside from those with actual eating disorders*

How about this, you don't it, don't friend request anyone with that set calorie. Problem solved.

Ok, rant over!

The problem is that you will drastically lower your RMR, and will have to continue eating at 1200 calories a day to maintain once you reach your goal. Some people recognize that pattern of behavior as reminiscent of the yo-yo dieting habits that people are trying to escape by using this site. No one is saying that you can't do what you want to do with your own diet, especially if you are consulting a doctor or nutritionist. But, anyone who is new to this site and this particular plan should be aware of the potential risks and know that losing weight does not have to be difficult (because for many people, eating at 1200 calories a day is difficult).

No need for you to get upset or uptight or feel as if you are being judged for your choices.
  • ImagineAWorldLikeThat
    Options
    I lost 40 lbs before two years ago in 3 months.

I started out following 1200 calories and stalled after 17 lbs.

I then upped to 1400-1800, cycling my calories (Monday 1400, Tuesday 1500, Wednesday 1600 on up to 1800 and back down) and lost the rest of the weight so fast everyone's head spun.

Unless you're like 125-145 trying to lose the last vanity pounds no, you should not be eating 1200 calories if you're working out.
    You'll lose and plateau fast. I couldn't believe how much weight I lost or how quickly when I started averaging 1600 cals a day ( but that was also clean cals, sugar under 35 grams a day, sodium under 1800 mg a day, carbs under 125-150 a day, etc. I really paid attention to my macros) and I was doing an hour of cardio 6 days a week.
This discussion has been closed.