STAY AWAY FROM MOVIE POPCORN!

waterlibby
waterlibby Posts: 30 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
I knew it was going to be bad, but I do not go to the movies very often with my boys, so I wanted to "treat" all of us! I just did not know it would be THIS BAD!
DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY GRAMS OF FAT THERE ARE IN A LARGE POPCORN?!?!?!
95!!!! Holy Cow! and more than 1200 calories!

Replies

• MarkVellios
    MarkVellios Posts: 3 Member
    I love movie Popcorn, I use to eat a large bag to myself. Now when I want to cheat I still eat movie popcorn but have cut back to a small size. Still lots of calories and fat but I only do it once every two weeks.
  • Kmill217
    Kmill217 Posts: 204
    Yes Yes. I know. Don't take away my one thing in life that makes me TICK!

I have a necessity in life. Call it what you will but the habit developed in college. I'd buy a bucket of popcorn and a six pack. (Yes, I know you all are cringing) My Dad had a commercial popper he used to make movie quality popcorn when I was young. so I gravitate toward eating that empty calorie goodness!

I mean, there is nothing like a good movie, some popcorn, the love of your life, and of course last but not least........

A GOOD BEER....Sam Adams or Mississippi Mud of course! :) A nice Pale Ale or Wheat is where it's at...damn...i really want that now....
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Oh that is such sad news. Now I can't eat popcorn anymore. How bad do you think the Boy Scout popcorn is? Ugg! Nevermind. I'm sure I don't want to know that either.:cry:
  • dmmarie21
    dmmarie21 Posts: 254 Member
    Luckily when i go to the movies, i get the smallest popcorn, usually kid size and can eat at the most, half. It is probably still loaded with calories, but, it makes me feel like i am doing good choosing the smaller one. Lol
  • fooja
    fooja Posts: 451 Member
    i rarely go to the movies cuz its soooo expensive, but when i do, i drown my popcorn in butter.....lol!! and dont forget the salt!! and then u gotta get a pop to wash it all down!!! its so good tho. i dont plan on going to another movie til june when toy story 3 comes out. maybe by then my tummy wont be able to handle all that butter, and pop!!
  • Sweetie_Pie92
    Sweetie_Pie92 Posts: 314 Member
    I looked this up a few months ago after I watched a friend down a whole bucket by himself...I was shocked. I'm so glad I don't like popcorn....
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Here is an interesting article, that should scare everyone away from putting fake butter on movie popcorn.
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20091119/movie-theater-popcorn-a-calorie-bomb?src=RSS_PUBLIC

Meanwhile, don't forget that air-popped popcorn remains a healthful low calorie snack. Make up a batch at home, and you can still enjoy your popcorn. :)
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    I make mine at home. 3 tbs (serving size), air popped. I melt real butter, (2 tbs) and it makes the perfect size for me. With the butter, it is high calorie snack, 320 calories, so I only have it on the nights that I have calories to spare.
This discussion has been closed.