What do you think of my plan?

Options
13»

Replies

• mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    You'll gain it all again too quickly..

I reckon you should eat 1500 at LEAST if you plan on working out like that, and considering your height!
  • mareeee1234
    Options
    Your workout routine does sound awesome though! Just not your cal intake..
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    First off, to the person who said protein is high in calories, that's ridiculous. The greek yogurt with 18g of protein at 100 cals is high? Protein is excellent for your body, but it's the only part of this plan that I like.

To the OP - This is a DIET and diets don't work. You will lose a ton of weight doing this plan, but I'd be surprised if you can get through the exercising for more than a week. You won't have any energy eating so low. The minute you start eating 'normal' again, you will just gain the weight back and, most likely, more. This is why your plan won't work. Find what calories work for you to lose and stick with it. It may be less than 1200, but probably not much with your current height and weight. Also, eating low fat is not going to help you lose fat. I eat 30% fat and have lost 53lbs in the past 6 months.

Also, you can't gauge whether calories are working for you or not until you've been eating them steadily for 4-6 weeks. Losing weight is about patience, so pick a healthy calorie goal and stick to it for at least a month and see how you feel. Like the others said, there's no rush. If you eat at your goal consistently, the weight WILL come off. I promise.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    800 calorie diet = Fail
    Low fat diet = Epic fail
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    That is very true. I'm just going thru this right now and I was eating only 1300 per day. And exercising 2 to 3 hours -4 to 5 days a week. Burning up 900 plus calories a day. Just increased my cal intake to 1610 per day. Cause I stopped losing weight, was sleeping all the time and was freezing cold for almost a month. Wasn't a good sign.
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump
  • outclimb
    Options
    I get the theory of this, but think you may find it difficult on so few calories. I don't prescribe to the '1200 is a minimum calorie intake' like so many on here, but you will probably really struggle for energy.

If you do insist on such a plan, I would take out the HIIT component, the intense cardio will really tax your body, and reduce your ability to recover from your resistance training (which is by far the most important form of exercise on any low cal diet).

I would also ask what calorie level you are on now. If you are already on a low cal diet the result of dropping further might not be that great, you may be better off slowly working up your intake and then having discreet periods of low cal to help bust through plateaus.

If you want to do really low cal, I'd suggest looking into some decent resources on the subject. Lyle's Rapid Fat Loss Handbook (RFL) would be the template I would use for a short duration high protein VLCD plan.

What ever you decide, if you are determined to do a very low cal diet, please don't ignore any warning signs from your body and get regular checkups from your GP to minimise any risks.

Thank you for your reply. I will cut out the HIIT and see how my loss is with just the diet and exercise. I just got back from the gym and talked to a trainer there who supports my plan. I will increase my calories if I find that I am really fatigued or dizzy or anything like that or if I find that I'm losing strength with my weight lifting.

Since June I have been on 1500 calories a day, doing both cardio and strength training and in that period I have lost 15 and I've been stuck since the beginning of November
  • outclimb
    Options
    A couple of people have asked what the rush is. My mother in law has offered to pay for a full year of college if I lose a total of 50 pounds by the time I visit home again in May. My plan for 10 weeks gives me some wiggle room if I don't lose as quickly as I hope and some time to work on maintenance. My grandmother has also jumped in on this offering $500 if I can lose 50 pounds. I've already lost 15 so I have 35 to go.

I have 1 more year to get my degree but I don't have the money to finish it at the moment. Losing the weight and finishing school are huge life accomplishments for me.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Wow. That's nearly as bad as the people who go on crash diets just so they can be eligible for weight loss surgery.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    A couple of people have asked what the rush is. My mother in law has offered to pay for a full year of college if I lose a total of 50 pounds by the time I visit home again in May. My plan for 10 weeks gives me some wiggle room if I don't lose as quickly as I hope and some time to work on maintenance. My grandmother has also jumped in on this offering $500 if I can lose 50 pounds. I've already lost 15 so I have 35 to go.

I have 1 more year to get my degree but I don't have the money to finish it at the moment. Losing the weight and finishing school are huge life accomplishments for me.

Explain to your MIL that losing 1lb a week is a healthy way to go about it. I am sure she would not want to put your health at risk...and if she does, I would have a serious conversation with your husband.

Out of interest, why is she so bothered about your weight? It's not as though you are particularly overweight.

ETA: The concerns about a VLCD are not only about loss of lbm. Also, the study you looked at was on obese people - a very very different proposition.
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I think it's a terrible plan.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I think it is a great plan.
  • mareeee1234
    Options

Since June I have been on 1500 calories a day, doing both cardio and strength training and in that period I have lost 15 and I've been stuck since the beginning of November

Consider upping to 1700 or 1800?? I don't think going below 1500 will help considering your height and activity level!
    I honestly think you need MORE
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I think it is a great plan.

Who asked you?

Oh...nevermind...