Running - where to start?

Options
I want to start running but I'm worried about my knee and shin splints. Maybe I'm still too heavy to run (233 lbs). How do I start and not *kitten* up?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    the main thing is starting. start slowly. but if you haven't been running in like forever, starting slowly is pretty much all you're going to be able to do anyway. do as much as you can and it's ok to run/walk/run/walk. each day try to run a bit further than you did the day before. i understand your concerns about injury but we really can't predict those until after we get started. there is injury risk at all weights

just go run.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Check out the couch to 5K program. It's amazing!!! You can even download free apps for it on your smart phone if you have one.
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Check out the couch to 5K program. It's amazing!!! You can even download free apps for it on your smart phone if you have one.

100% agree. Great program to get you going slowly.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I started at he same weight as you! I started by runnng 1 lamp post and walking 2. When i could run 2, i moved onto c25k- its a great programms. You just have to remember that thousands of people have done tis successfully so yiu can too. Good luck with it. The mist imortant step is the first.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Not to be an alarmist, because I'm older than you, but as someone just told by an orthopedist to stop running I'd suggest starting with medical clearance if you're worried about damaging your knees. Once you have the go ahead and peace of mind definitely do walk/run intervals and have fun!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    You can get a good shoe at a running specialty store if you can get to one. They'll take a look at your gait and help you choose something with stability if you need it and some cushion to protect your joints. Tell them you're new to running and will be walk/running... they'll sort you out.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Run slower than you even think is possible, then walk until you feel recovered, then run really slowly again. Repeat. The mistake everyone makes is going too fast. Everyone. This method will turn you in to a runner.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    First off congratulations on wanting to try a new form of exercise! The first tip is to not let your weight set your limitation, rather just be realistic in your goa, like that the first few times are going to be really hard and that you may not be able to run a mile non-stop in one week, but once you start you will be addicted lol. I also wanted to start running over a month ago and I was at 220 give or take, but I didnt think I could do it because of my weight.

I read about the C25K program on the MFP forums and downloaded it to my smartphone and I have never looked back! (C25K is an app that helps prepare to jog/ run a 5K by following the workout routine over the course of 8+ weeks) The first time I did it it was hell and it took me more than 30 minutes to complete the workout, like 45 min because I had to stop every so often for a breather. I took a break for a few days to recoop then did it again, it was less challenging, but again I managed to finish the workout. I have decided to do the program at my own pace and I have therefore redone the week 1 exercises twice and I am now ready to move on to week 2. I plan and sticking with it until I can RUN a 5K. Each time I do it I feel my stamina improve, I can go further and I feel more accomplished than the last time. Plus I am sure its helped me loose more weight lol. (P.S. I'm still over 200 pounds)

Good luck!
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I started running at 300 lbs. I'm currently 270 and now I can run about 4 miles at a time. I run 2-4 miles a day, 5-6 days a week. Start slow and build up from there. If I can do it so can you.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I started running at 300 lbs. I'm currently 270 and now I can run about 4 miles at a time. I run 2-4 miles a day, 5-6 days a week. Start slow and build up from there. If I can do it so can you.

boom! listen to her
  • makaiya
    makaiya Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    thanks for the info! mostly i just need to get my fat *kitten* out of the door. i live by a new balance store that fits for running shoes, so that's a no-brainer. and i would be running right past my foot doctor's office if i run on the main road. i really have no excuses, do i?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    thanks for the info! mostly i just need to get my fat *kitten* out of the door. i live by a new balance store that fits for running shoes, so that's a no-brainer. and i would be running right past my foot doctor's office if i run on the main road. i really have no excuses, do i?
    Getting out the door is 90% of the battle. Sometimes, even now, I will come up with 106 reasons why today would be a good day to skip, but generally I try to overcome them and just lace up and get out the door, and 99% of the time I am glad I did.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Yes to checking with your doctor first. Any of us can *say* you're not too heavy to run, but if your knees are jacked up you very well could be. I did not have knee issues to start & I was over 300 lbs when I started running 2 1/2 years ago. Also yes to getting proper shoes. Go to a running store, have a gait analysis, & INVEST in quality shoes, especially if you are prone to shin splints. Shin splints can be an indicator of incorrect footstrike. Make sure you're not landing on your heels when you run. You should be landing on the ball of your foot (called a midfoot or forefoot strike).

And yes to the Couch to 5k program. Following a training schedule is the only way I have met any of my running goals, which I didn't realize I had before completing the program. Now I've got 16 races under my belt, including a half marathon. If you want to be a runner, you can be. Period.

Be careful...races are addictive.