Do protein bars cause bloat?

Today I ate a protein bar before my workout for the first time.... I've also had chicken... Eggs... And milk.... I look 6 months pregnant. Is it from the protein bar? My body not used to that? I always usually try to get my protein naturally. I do eat p28 bread though.

Replies

• ??
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    It's probably a tumor.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    have you taken a pregnancy test?
  • twoday
    twoday Posts: 210
    a protein bar should not make you feel like that. It is possible the milk did it but what kind of protein bar are you eating. I use the rule of over 10 grams of protien but under 180 calories when i get one, but that is just me.
  • a protein bar should not make you feel like that. It is possible the milk did it but what kind of protein bar are you eating. I use the rule of over 10 grams of protien but under 180 calories when i get one, but that is just me.

It was 20g protein. And then I had chicken not long after I don't think I spaced it out enough causing it do that?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    ??

!!
  • have you taken a pregnancy test?

Nope but not pregnant! Hahaha. I ate a ton of fiber. Which used to cause it... But my body is used to fiber now as I used to eat none. I ate a protein bar then some chicken was made in my house and I was still hungry for real food before my workout
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    did it have a lot of sugar alcohol in it?

That's how many get by saying high protein. Actually higher in carbs, unless you subtract out the sugar alcohols.

Then again, some protein bars are much higher carb anyway, so while they may have more protein than say a Special K bar, they are still tons of carbs in them, and could get carb bloat if you personally have a problem with that.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    20 grams of protein? Lots of fiber? Was it a Quest protein bar? If so, those have sugar alcohols in them, which will definitely cause bloating. Proceed through the rest of your day with caution. For a lot of people, sugar alcohols can cause some pretty severe gastrointestinal problems.
  • did it have a lot of sugar alcohol in it?

That's how many get by saying high protein. Actually higher in carbs, unless you subtract out the sugar alcohols.

Then again, some protein bars are much higher carb anyway, so while they may have more protein than say a Special K bar, they are still tons of carbs in them, and could get carb bloat if you personally have a problem with that.

Yeah! I usually stay away from bars but this definitely had high carbs. I'm going to order some quest bars but I needed something to satisfy my sweet tooth
  • 20 grams of protein? Lots of fiber? Was it a Quest protein bar? If so, those have sugar alcohols in them, which will definitely cause bloating. Proceed through the rest of your day with caution. For a lot of people, sugar alcohols can cause some pretty severe gastrointestinal problems.

It wasn't quest but I've been wanting to order some quest bars! .... The one I had today had 14g of fiber which is a lot I thought too.
  • I've heard u shouldn't take more then 40g of protein per meal. Could it be i ate my protein too quick?
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Hmmm, okay. Do you know what brand the protein bar was? I'm curious. I would still check the label for sugar alcohols, because I'm betting that's what caused your bloating.

Quest bars are great bars, and you can't beat the protein to calorie ratio. But all flavors except the chocolate brownie have sugar alcohols (if I remember correctly) so you have to be careful when eating them.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    I would still check the label for sugar alcohols, because I'm betting that's what caused your bloating.

This.

Often times most protein bars are loaded with them, especially the kids with chocolate flavoring/coating. I know sugar alcohols make me bloat like crazy, and often cause stomach discomfort too.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    It's probably a tumor.
    That's f@cked up
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Any particular reason you had a protein bar before your workout?
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    It's probably a tumor.
    That's f@cked up

No, no. The correct response is: Its nawt a tumah!
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    Today I ate a protein bar before my workout for the first time.... I've also had chicken... Eggs... And milk.... I look 6 months pregnant. Is it from the protein bar? My body not used to that? I always usually try to get my protein naturally. I do eat p28 bread though.

Probably perfectly normal. Your body needs time to adjust when you raise your protein intake. That's why a lot of bodybuilders have problems with flatulence, bloating etc. That should change once you keep your protein level up.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    I've heard u shouldn't take more then 40g of protein per meal. Could it be i ate my protein too quick?

That is a myth.
  • LMFAO!